• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Maybe I think to simply, but I think a rifle chambered in .357mag would be a great SHTF survival rifle. You could down load .38 specials for smaller game and use full house .357 for anything up to a good sized buck. It would have to be a quality rifle that will last in a SHTF scenario from a respected name, simple to use, very few parts to break or wear, reliable, lightweight, readily available ammo.

This comes to mind: Ruger® 77/357™ Rotary Magazine Bolt-Action Rifle Models

And honestly it is why I own one. That and next deer season.

Also a side note, it has very familiar ergos for those acustomed to the 10/22 platform. Aside from the obvious difference of being bolt action.

HARVEYtheDAMNED

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    Theoretically: KISS AR15. Iron sights, sling, 7 mags, .22 conversion kit, and as much .223 and .22 I could stock up on.

Realistically: My actual personal SHTF rifle right now is the Mosin Nagant M44, because you use what you have. I have a thousand rounds, mainly surplus with a hundred or so commercial. I shoot it well out to 150 yards, and I'm a big guy so I can shoulder the recoil pretty well. Also have a Marlin model 60 that I would make great use of.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Maybe I think to simply, but I think a rifle chambered in .357mag would be a great SHTF survival rifle. You could down load .38 specials for smaller game and use full house .357 for anything up to a good sized buck. It would have to be a quality rifle that will last in a SHTF scenario from a respected name, simple to use, very few parts to break or wear, reliable, lightweight, readily available ammo.

This comes to mind: Ruger® 77/357™ Rotary Magazine Bolt-Action Rifle Models

And honestly it is why I own one. That and next deer season.

It may not be my first choice for SHTF, but I thought the same as you a couple years back. A guy ought to have a rifle/revolver combo around to shoot .38/.357. Never know when that versatile ammo family may be all there is to be had.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    There are four men and two woman in my immediate family and since I am the patriarch in our family I will speak for each of the six of us.

Man 1: Knight's SR-25 in .308
    Man 2: Jeff Cooper Scout in .308
    Man 3: 12 guage Shotgun
    Man 4: 12 gauge Shotgun
    Woman #1: Bushmaster AR-15 in .223
    Woman #2: Browning A-Bolt in .223

The long guns of choice are ready to do their job. The users are experience in the handling and maintenance of these long guns. Sufficient ammo is on hand is ready.

I am wilderness (jungle) trained. Three of us love to camp, the other three will need to adjust. It'll be fun.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There are four men and two woman in my immediate family and since I am the patriarch in our family I will speak for each of the six of us.

Man 1: Knight's SR-25 in .308
    Man 2: Jeff Cooper Scout in .308
    Man 3: 12 guage Shotgun
    Man 4: 12 gauge Shotgun
    Woman #1: Bushmaster AR-15 in .223
    Woman #2: Browning A-Bolt in .223

The long guns of choice are ready to do their job. The users are experience in the handling and maintenance of these long guns. Sufficient ammo is on hand is ready.

I am wilderness (jungle) trained. Three of us love to camp, the other two will need to adjust. It'll be fun.

We had to adjust 2 new members to our family..............it was fun.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    It may not be my first choice for SHTF, but I thought the same as you a couple years back. A guy ought to have a rifle/revolver combo around to shoot .38/.357. Never know when that versatile ammo family may be all there is to be had.

.38/.357 is not ideal for SHTF I agree. But like you said when coupled with a good revolver a rifle in .357 is a very versatile option IMHO.

Top Bottom