• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    I don't own a GM vehicle, and don't have an OnStar rearview mirror add on, and I sure as hell don't want either. Hold on while I pull my tinfoil hat on just a little tighter.

At first thought the OnStar feature that alerts help after an accident sounds nice, but just a friggin' minute! Full time tracking of speed and location, no thanks!

Gee, I wonder who gets this information and how it will be used, to help us?

The rest of the small story here;

OnStar Announces Location Tracking Changes To Privacy Policy

And here;

OnStar Is Tracking Your Speed And Location Even When You Cancel Your Service

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Many modern vehicles have similar systems. Some even have phone apps you can use to lock/unlock doors, pop the trunk or even start the car. Who needs to break in when you can "hack" in? Not to mention the privacy issues previously mentioned. This is why I'm eventually going to restore an old truck for my daily driver. I can build the truck the way I want and I don't have to worry about all that crap.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Eagles_-_Hotel_California.jpg

You can check out anytime you want...but you can never leave.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Don't forget about those backup cameras. It can't be that hard for someone with the right resources to view whatever happens to be in front of that camera.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Most every car (I believe 2000+) also has a black box under the passenger seat. It can record speed and RPMs at the time of an impact. No bull.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Most every car (I believe 2000+) also has a black box under the passenger seat. It can record speed and RPMs at the time of an impact. No bull.
    Hmm, I can't find a black box under there. I do have a 8" woofer under the seat. BTW, nothing like OnStar tracking a stolen car for me so we can recover it minutes after it was stolen.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    also has the capability to record all audio within the vehicle at any time. also has the ability to determine what has happened to your car, exactly happened, which sensors are out, which door got hit, speed, velocity, air bag deployment, all of the above. cars are modern day snitch mobiles.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I guess my suggestion would be if you have something to hide then buy an older car. I dont own a GM car, my wife does but not with onstar. However even if it did it would be about the least of my concerns. So what if it can tell I am at Menards. You dont think your cell phone has the ability to let people know where you. Its a built in GPS for your location lol.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I guess my suggestion would be if you have something to hide then buy an older car. I dont own a GM car, my wife does but not with onstar. However even if it did it would be about the least of my concerns. So what if it can tell I am at Menards. You dont think your cell phone has the ability to let people know where you. Its a built in GPS for your location lol.

Living in a surveillance society doesn't make you uneasy?

Look at how far down the road to fascism we have already come.

Voluntarily having something is far different. You can't see beyond that?

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Hmm, I can't find a black box under there. I do have a 8" woofer under the seat. BTW, nothing like OnStar tracking a stolen car for me so we can recover it minutes after it was stolen.

My black box was lost in the same boating accident that claimed all of my firearms...that was a sad, sad day, indeed.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    It's the automotive equivalent of tracking cookies. It's only a matter of time before that data starts dictating what advertisements we drive past on the way to work. It's also a gold mine for them to cancel warranties and sell it to insurance companies to up your rates. I know some of the older OnStars you truly could disconnect and have no ill done to the rest of the car, I'm not sure if the newer ones are that forgiving as they've been integrated into more of the car. The second you set something up to connect to the internet or let it go wireless it's out there for anyone in the world that is determined enough to see it. While I'm not a fan of in car black boxes without consent, this really does take it to a whole new level of monitoring.

FYI, TomTom does the same thing everytime you update the GPS data on an internet enabled computer; overseas they've sold it to police, they say they are yet to do anything with info collected in the US.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Living in a surveillance society doesn't make you uneasy?
    If they have nothing better to do but to keep tabs on me...they're pretty damn bored.

I just spent two and a half hours mowing, trimming, edging and blowing away the grass clippings in the front yard. If the bastards were watching they could at least have lent a hand.

Seriously though...I understand what you're saying...I'm just not going to spend my life worrying and hiding behind trees and lamp posts to throw off Big Brother.

Oh...and I wouldn't own a GM product. So I don't have to worry about On-Star.

Top Bottom