• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Living in a surveillance society doesn't make you uneasy?

Look at how far down the road to fascism we have already come.

Voluntarily having something is far different. You can't see beyond that?

I dont like the idea that we are possibly being watchd. But to your last point all of this stuff is volunary. You dont have to buy a car with onstar, you dont have to buy a smart phone, you dont have to do much of anything with technology if you dont want to. You dont need tv, you dont need the internet, you dont need any of that stuff.

There is a give and take, some good, some bad. Personally I am not sure I buy into the whole big brother is watching me at all times deal, but maybe. It would be kinda hard to watch 250,000,000 people at once. But if they want to watch me during my daily life, they are going to be bored to tears.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Wonder how long it'll be before every car needs to have something like this installed "for your safety"
    I'm sure someone has already found a shortcut to bypass the systems. If I was worried about it...I'd just look up the solution.

Funny_Car_Pranks_4.jpg

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    It would be kinda hard to watch 250,000,000 people at once.

30 or 40 years ago, sure.

Today with voice recognition, facial recognition as well as body language algorithms it is very easy for one person to watch tens of thousands of people at once.

Keep in mind we cannot imagine what will be illegal 25 years from now, let alone 50.

50 years ago a parent could spank the crap out of their child in a public parking lot and would get an applause and attaboy from the local Sheriff. Today it's grounds to have the child removed to foster care and the parent to be locked in a cage.

It doesn't matter if that is right or wrong today. Had you have told 99% of the population 50 years ago that would happen today, they would have told you to put on a tin foil hat, you were crazy.

It is naive, at best, to think that with todays technology they can't watch most people, most of the time.

It's sheer stupidity to think that at the rate of evolving technology they won't be able to watch everyone, ALL the time in a few short years.

A_Brit_In_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Greenwood, Indiana
    Most every car (I believe 2000+) also has a black box under the passenger seat. It can record speed and RPMs at the time of an impact. No bull.

This is a true statement however it only records the last 5 seconds, it also records transmission gear selection, steering wheel angle, and brake force.
    It will not tell on you if you're texting and it doesn't know if there is a cup of coffee in the cupholder

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    If you want to disable your onstar find and disconnect the vehicle communication interface module.

As for the vehicle recording your speed,rpms, brake switch input,etc. you would have to disable your air bag module,and I wouldn't advise that for obvious reasons.

worked at a gm dealer for 23 years.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN

Today with voice recognition, facial recognition as well as body language algorithms it is very easy for one person to watch tens of thousands of people at once.

Keep in mind we cannot imagine what will be illegal 25 years from now, let alone 50.

50 years ago a parent could spank the crap out of their child in a public parking lot and would get an applause and attaboy from the local Sheriff. Today it's grounds to have the child removed to foster care and the parent to be locked in a cage.

It doesn't matter if that is right or wrong today. Had you have told 99% of the population 50 years ago that would happen today, they would have told you to put on a tin foil hat, you were crazy.

It is naive, at best, to think that with todays technology they can't watch most people, most of the time.

It's sheer stupidity to think that at the rate of evolving technology they won't be able to watch everyone, ALL the time in a few short years.

If one person can watch 10,000 people at once, where is the gigantic facility that employs 25,000 people each shift to watch everyone. Now I am going to blow your mind. If those 25,000 people each shift are in charge of the equipment to watch everyone, who is watching them. Dude I know.

I mean really come on.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    If one person can watch 10,000 people at once, where is the gigantic facility that employs 25,000 people each shift to watch everyone. Now I am going to blow your mind. If those 25,000 people each shift are in charge of the equipment to watch everyone, who is watching them. Dude I know.

I mean really come on.

Here you go a REAL LIFE example of it occuring at the state next door.
    Chicago Links Street Cameras to Its 911 Network - NYTimes.com

BTW this is back from 2009. Since then the city of Chicago has expanded it's camera to now include CTA busses, CTA trains, all state and city bldg cameras, as well as private bldg cameras (facing outside) like the camera's on chase bank, etc. In essnce the entire city and then some.

But you keep thinkng it's not happening. :faint:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    A simple wood screw through the cable to the antenna would render transmission of said infomation problematic.

New business idea, I will make tranmission of onstar data problematic for a small fee.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

Indiana

Law does not limit right of parent/guardian/custodian to use reasonable corporal punishment when disciplining a child.
    § 31-34-1-15. [Civil Code]

As far as spanking the crap out of the kid, if you HAVE to stand there and spank them repeatedly, you have probably already lost somewhere along the way. If you need to spank your kid, have at it but if you're "spanking the crap out of them"...that sounds much more like it is out of anger than using it as an attention getter. And guess what, spanking is legal in ALL 50 (or however many Obama thinks we have). Several have tried to ban spanking but haven't been able to get anything passed, quite a few do have limits (when it becomes more than spanking...maybe like "spanking the crap out of them"). If you've got to spank your kid like that, maybe you shouldn't have had kids (and most people probably shouldn't).

For the OnStar thing, doesn't really bother me much because it won't ever affect me. If you don't like the idea and the paranoia it brings, don't buy any vehicle that comes with OnStar. Go back to payphones and cash only transactions. It'll help you sleep a little easier at night.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Gee, didn't see that one coming from a mile away :rolleyes:

And people wonder my family refuses to own a vehicle with this service on it.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    FYI, TomTom does the same thing everytime you update the GPS data on an internet enabled computer; overseas they've sold it to police, they say they are yet to do anything with info collected in the US.
    Sweet ill get flagged as a suspected drug dealer for all the shady places i go to when im working

CSORuger

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Brownsburg Indiana
    OK I was watching on TV a show called Person of Interest. About a guy who developed the system on how after 911 the Goverment can watch us.
    Its supposed to be fictional :rolleyes:

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    This is a true statement however it only records the last 5 seconds, it also records transmission gear selection, steering wheel angle, and brake force.
    It will not tell on you if you're texting and it doesn't know if there is a cup of coffee in the cupholder
    You mean it won't say that I've had my daily alloted Mt. Dew?

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    Here you go a REAL LIFE example of it occuring at the state next door.
    Chicago Links Street Cameras to Its 911 Network - NYTimes.com

BTW this is back from 2009. Since then the city of Chicago has expanded it's camera to now include CTA busses, CTA trains, all state and city bldg cameras, as well as private bldg cameras (facing outside) like the camera's on chase bank, etc. In essnce the entire city and then some.

But you keep thinkng it's not happening. :faint:

And if you use the toll roads and don't want to pay double and just keep trucking without sitting in toll lines you have I-Pass to take your money without stopping. So there is another way to track you.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I'm sure someone has already found a shortcut to bypass the systems. If I was worried about it...I'd just look up the solution.

Funny_Car_Pranks_4.jpg

Public Servant... Um... Why were you at my house? :shady::shady:

OK I was watching on TV a show called Person of Interest. About a guy who developed the system on how after 911 the Goverment can watch us.
    Its supposed to be fictional :rolleyes:

Just so you know.. it won't make it past the first season. The important people making the show are going to disappear.. that's what happens when you give away government secrets.... And I'm next!!! Ahh.. I can't stop...:runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway:

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    Even before/without OnStar. GM has put "little black boxes" in almost all of their cars manufactured since 1999 which keep track of speed, engine RPM, throttle position, braking, etc. 70% of Ford/Lincoln/Mercury cars made since 2005 have them and Chrysler/Dodge, Toyota, and Honda have started putting them in some of their cars. Pretty soon the government is going to require them in all new cars. And data from them has already been used in court to convict someone of manslaughter in a couple of cases.

Top Bottom