• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Put a no trespassing sign at the road, right next to your driveway. But yes, they were still trespassing, even if not punishable due to no notice

88GT said:
    Being on private property without permission IS trespassing. Might not meet the legal requirements to obtain a conviction, but it is still trespassing.

I operate a business on the property, so the No Trespassing sign is not going to happen. Granted, I could put a No Trespassing sign at the back of the parking area where the driveway goes back behind the business, but I do not think I will be doing that. That is why the trespassing situation is a little complicated, since the business is open to the public, at least during business hours.

nakinate said:
    If not punishable due to no notice, then why bother calling the cops?

This is my opinion. I am not going to bother the police when no crime was committed. If there are break-ins around the area then I will let them know my encounter and give them the information they need. This is a small town and word would spread quickly of criminal activity.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Concealed carry changes crime too. In states that do not allow concealed carry and demand you advertise if you are carrying or not gives the criminal a distinct advantage of sizing up a target. In states that only allow concealed carry it keeps the criminal guessing who is carrying and provides some protection to those who do not carry. In states that have passed concealed carry, direct confrontational crimes dropped dramatically but other crimes where they do not come in contact with the victims increased. They figured if they have to play russian roulette on a CCW, they would rather change their crime to burglary. Sounds like they may have been casing you, and it is nice to have the open carry option in Indiana. I travel to other states a lot and most do not have open carry. When I reach for my gun, I want it to be an automatic response and it needs be in the same place every time. I conceal carry for many reasons but that is another. My concealed holsters are well broken in and I don't even notice they are there most of the time. I am always aware the gun is there if a situation comes up where it looks like I may need it. My concentration seems to be lower than it use to be also, and I feel a constant need to protect the gun when it's open carried so a stranger does not have the opportunity to simply snatch it from the holster. I never worry about that when I conceal carry. It's not paranoia, I know how fast it can happen and don't really want to remain hyper vigilant 24 /7.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Being on private property without permission IS trespassing. Might not meet the legal requirements to obtain a conviction, but it is still trespassing.

Not quite. You've been slipping lately 88. Simply being on the property isn't trespassing. One has to have been given notice in some way. I can stand on private property as long as I want, and as long as no one has asked me to leave, no crime has occurred.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    It's all about the environment. How you carry is a tactical choice based on your situation. Sometimes either is appropriate. Sometimes one has the advantage. I'd say in a case like this I'd OC and hope Expat doesn't bring a little girl.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I operate a business on the property, so the No Trespassing sign is not going to happen. Granted, I could put a No Trespassing sign at the back of the parking area where the driveway goes back behind the business, but I do not think I will be doing that. That is why the trespassing situation is a little complicated, since the business is open to the public, at least during business hours.

This is my opinion. I am not going to bother the police when no crime was committed. If there are break-ins around the area then I will let them know my encounter and give them the information they need. This is a small town and word would spread quickly of criminal activity.
    Do as you please. Wasn't suggesting a No Trespassing sign was necessary. You said it wasn't trespassing. It was.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So are Girl Scouts trespassing when they knock on my door? Should I then answer the door with my gun drawn? :):

If they ask to speak to your wife/girlfriend, you draw down on them yelling "show me your hands! show me your hands!"

....At least I hear that's acceptable in some parts of the state.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    OP wouldn't happen to be in grant county would ya. The two guys I caught getting into our truck were later arrested for trying to steal cars. both were armed with stolen handguns too. Always trust your gut.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    OP wouldn't happen to be in grant county would ya. The two guys I caught getting into our truck were later arrested for trying to steal cars. both were armed with stolen handguns too. Always trust your gut.
    No I am down here in the south on the Ohio River, Spencer County.

Kutnupe14 said:
    If they ask to speak to your wife/girlfriend, you draw down on them yelling "show me your hands! show me your hands!"

....At least I hear that's acceptable in some parts of the state.

I am then allowed to seize their cookies as evidence correct?

Top Bottom