• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    If I intend to OC, my rule is that the grip is 100% visible and unobstructed by clothing. The barrel typically is not visible as my 1911 typically rides in a serpa sportster.

Concealed carry is where the entire handgun is covered by clothing and does not print with normal activity.

I like the half-assed comment as well. I think you can also consider an IWB with shirt tucked in and grip/frame visible to be OC. Your handgun is visible.

I wish that we could carry open everywhere without the sheep scurrying, but that is not the case. When I oc, people are generally friendly to do business with, but the passersby are very leery...which is sad.

Anymore, the only time I cc is to work, and sometimes I stuff it in my backpack/semi BOB.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I personally, like to wear my blue plaid shirt, my blue jeans, my cowboy boots, and cowboy hat, strap on my S/A Ruger, .357, .41, .44, or .45, and have either my Marlin .44 or my .22 Henry along for the ride... and just walk down Main st. here in Greenfield, and watch the people RUN .....(purple)...

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    Too bad that wasn't what the OP was asking, but thanks for playing anyway. If you want to CC, then go ahead, nobody is judging you. Why do you feel the need to criticize those who don't do it just like you? Judging someone's character and accuse them of showing off and trying to be a cowboy just because they carry a certain way? Do you accuse cops of being cowboys, showing off, and intimidating the public?

Go ahead and get off your high horse and encourage others to exercise their rights even if you don't feel like doing it the same way.

kthxbai.
    Maybe you missed the part that said "don`t get pissed"? I did not accuse anyone of "showing off". I said that is my first thought. I did not say he was a cowboy. Maybe go back and re-read it before jumping me?

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Ok, my definitions...

Concealed - if I can walk a circle 360º around you and no part of your weapon or holster is visible (minus the little belt clip on something like a supertuck).

Open - if I am looking at your weapon/holster and no part of either is concealed by clothing.

Discreet - the gray area the size of the pacific ocean between the 2 above options. A casual observer may or may not notice you've got a weapon. OWB under an unbuttoned shirt. IWB where the grip/butt of the gun is visible.

My take on the SHOP INGO button is that it should point to the classified until the store is officially up and running.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Maybe you missed the part that said "don`t get pissed"? I did not accuse anyone of "showing off". I said that is my first thought. I did not say he was a cowboy. Maybe go back and re-read it before jumping me?

Wow, I made a spelling error, I guess you have never done that.

My bad. I forgot that you can say whatever you want as long as you give the caveat of "don't get pissed". My whole point is that you answered a question that the OP never asked. That right there shows your hostility toward OC and those who choose to exercise their right to do so.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    ok dnt let the title confuse u, im not doin the which is better thing. im basically curious as to if there are specific guidlines for each. i CC usually under my shirt or jacket so im not well versed on open carry. Like i said, any guidlines or rules i need to b aware of for either i would appreciate. Thanx everyone

Maybe you missed the part where the OP stated the purpose of his thread was not doing the "which is better thing." Perhaps you should re-read the first post. :dunno:

I think Hoosierdood is on the mark. It looked to me like the way you worded your post you took an opportunity to take a swipe at OC'ers. Either way as has been pointed out there are other threads designated for OC/CC debate.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ilikewherethi128585380708473019.jpg

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Personally I would never OC in a public place, for two reasons..!. It will offend and alarm many folks ( I know some of the forum members won't care), and if a situation arises where you must defend yourself, or someone else, the element of surprise is lost. I once saw a guy standing in line at a food joint with a 1911 hanging out of is back pocket of his jeans. Legal yes, cool... not to me. Ever see the Secret Service standing next to the President with their MP5s visable? Thats' my point.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    ok dnt let the title confuse u, im not doin the which is better thing. im basically curious as to if there are specific guidlines for each. i CC usually under my shirt or jacket so im not well versed on open carry. Like i said, any guidlines or rules i need to b aware of for either i would appreciate. Thanx everyone

Personally I would never OC in a public place, for two reasons..!. It will offend and alarm many folks ( I know some of the forum members won't care), and if a situation arises where you must defend yourself, or someone else, the element of surprise is lost. I once saw a guy standing in line at a food joint with a 1911 hanging out of is back pocket of his jeans. Legal yes, cool... not to me. Ever see the Secret Service standing next to the President with their MP5s visable? Thats' my point.
    Here's the OP. Might just wanna re-read it again too.

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana

Just as has already been stated, rules or laws are the same for open or concealed.

For clarification, I look at it as concealed (no one knows its there, not visible) and open (can be seen fully or partially by the passerby).

A guideline for open carry has to do more with how its carried. In my opinion, if you open carry, you need to use a high quality active retention (ie. thumb break, etc...) on a high quality belt. My reasoning is open carry by its nature draws attention, both good and bad. And if bad attention comes along and creates an issue, a high quality holster and belt will delay the potential 'gun grab' by the bad guy. Giving you increased time to deal with the situation without loosing your weapon.

A quality holster is also a priority for concealed carry. But if it is truly concealed, then a gun grab is less likely than an open carry. Still possible, yes. But less likely assuming you've kept it concealed.

Some thing to consider when you decide to try open carry.

Stay safe

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian

Do you not know that Secret Service is Secret Service?

images

47e55112ef546usa_secret_service_3.jpg

Hard to see OC this far away.

images

Top Bottom