Open Carry [which is legal] in Michigan = Detained at gunpoint?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    RS of an actual crime? Which one?

The officer sure couldn't articulate anything resembling suspicion of a crime, let alone a reasonable one.

He did not just happen upon the guy, he was sent to investigate a citizens concern of a suspicious person, who happened to be carrying a gun. He observed the individual whom was reported to police as suspicious. The officer performed a stop and question on the individual based on these facts. He was detained (not free to leave) while an investigation was performed based on the facts and circumstances. It was determined that no crime was committed and the individual was free to leave. The officer was not driving around looking for somebody to hit with his jackboots, he was sent their based on the report of a citizens concern of suspicious activity.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    He did not just happen upon the guy, he was sent to investigate a citizens concern of a suspicious person, who happened to be carrying a gun. He observed the individual whom was reported to police as suspicious. The officer performed a stop and question on the individual based on these facts. He was detained (not free to leave) while an investigation was performed based on the facts and circumstances. It was determined that no crime was committed and the individual was free to leave. The officer was not driving around looking for somebody to hit with his jackboots, he was sent their based on the report of a citizens concern of suspicious activity.

So, you've got absolutely nothing which would rise to RS of any crime and nothing to refute the officer's own admission of why he actually detained at gunpoint, cuffed and disarmed the man "...because you've got a handgun, walkin' down the street."

I'm sure the report will grasp for something reasonably suspicious just as you have, but there was simply no excuse. They should have sent a better informed officer who knows the law and the limits of his authority. I'm sure most would have driven on by finding nothing suspicious to investigate.

Should be an easy payday.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    So, you've got absolutely nothing which would rise to RS of any crime and nothing to refute the officer's own admission of why he actually detained at gunpoint, cuffed and disarmed the man "...because you've got a handgun, walkin' down the street."

I'm sure the report will grasp for something reasonably suspicious just as you have, but there was simply no excuse. They should have sent a better informed officer who knows the law and the limits of his authority. I'm sure most would have driven on by finding nothing suspicious to investigate.

Should be an easy payday.

Was he wearing a hoodie?

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana

You just dont have a clue do you? Walking down the street is NOT suspicious activity with or without a gun. The person was under NO OBLIGATION to offer any personally identifiable information as a crime was NOT being committed, or had been committed. Why dont you go back over to O.com and hang around with the rest of the jackboots who love to Unconstitutionally detain people, and then get the taxpayers on the hook for multi-thousand dollar lawsuits. And the police wonder why the common citizen hates their guts so much. The police are NOT your friend, the police are NOT there to help you, the police are there to do ONE job, and that is to ARREST a criminal, that is all, NOTHING more.

Gunner

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Overlooked in the confrontation is the fact that when the officer drew his weapon, there was a dark SUV that drove between himself and the alleged perpetrator? What is up with that? What happened to the concept of muzzle control around innocent bystanders? If I were the person in that SUV, I'd be just as pissed as the guy who was being detained for public safety (of course)....

I caught that too and had the same thought.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    You just dont have a clue do you? Walking down the street is NOT suspicious activity with or without a gun. The person was under NO OBLIGATION to offer any personally identifiable information as a crime was NOT being committed, or had been committed. Why dont you go back over to O.com and hang around with the rest of the jackboots who love to Unconstitutionally detain people, and then get the taxpayers on the hook for multi-thousand dollar lawsuits. And the police wonder why the common citizen hates their guts so much. The police are NOT your friend, the police are NOT there to help you, the police are there to do ONE job, and that is to ARREST a criminal, that is all, NOTHING more.

Gunner

A crime need not be committed for law enforcement toconduct an investigative stop.

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana
    This was an extreme terry stop.

So then a person who IS NOT COMMITTING A CRIME BY WALKING DOWN THE STREET can be detained using a Terry stop, I think not... What does it say, "reasonable suspicion of involvement in criminal activity" Lets see, just carrying a gun is NOT reasonable suspicion of criminal activity. The Supreme Court has already ruled that when the carrying of arms is legal, there is no reasonable suspicion of criminal activity that raises the level to justify a Terry stop.

I figured you would attempt to bring up a Terry stop, and it just isnt so. Whatever cop stopped him should have to PERSONALLY pay the lawsuit that this guy will win, along with whatever court fees and if they cant then the cop should end up in jail, plain and simple. As I said before until the police stop with the heavy-handed Unconstitutional stops people will continue to despise the police.

Gunner

Top Bottom