• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I have carried my m44 and my muzzleloader on my back while riding my bike to the range I got alot of thumbs ups but havent been stopped by leos for carrying. That being said mosins and muzzleloaders look like hunting guns to the sheeple and ar15s look like baby killers to the sheeple.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Then they aren't rights. They're revocable privileges. Rights cannot be debated or negotiated away, only privileges.
    Now you're getting it. Just because WE recognize something as a right, does not mean everyone else does. It also does not mean everyone else agrees we should have such rights. Therefore they will push to change that in any way they can by bringing on the debate; forcing us to debate it. Like it or not, that is the society we live in. Liberty is a constant fight whereas too many who believe in such principles are too happy to just want to be left alone and live their lives. If you care about liberty, that is not an option these days. You MUST debate it. The good thing about this debate though, is that the facts support OUR side. They simply use anectdotal evidence, statistical manipulation, and sometimes flat out lies or misleading phrasing to promote their agenda.

Philosophy doesn't matter.
    You're certainly wrong there. Philosophy is nothing more than a belief system. For many here, that would be their choice in Christian based faiths. However, philosophy is not strictly religious belief systems either, but what they all are is a system which discerns their acceptable actions in life. For some, they may feel that the opinion in their belief system is more important than anyone else's. Ring a bell?

Such people are likely not going to stop pushing for their desires because it is rooted in their philosophy of choice. With a philosophy so deeply rooted in people's beliefs, this makes it likely that we will never truly end this debate...unfortunately. So, philosophy indeed does matter when it's the foundation for one's perspective/opinion on nearly everything else in their life.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    What are your thoughts on this?

My thoughts:

I don't have a problem with it if you have it properly "holstered". If you walked in a store I was in carrying it in "low ready" I'd probably view it just the same as if I saw you carrying your handgun in your hand rather than in a holster.

I would think it would be a PIA to walk around, going about my business all day, with a rifle slung across my body. There are times it's a pain to keep a gun holstered on my hip. Getting in and out of a car, taking the gun off and back on again, etc...there's bound to be wear and tear on the weapon, your optics, etc.

Like it or not anit-gunners get to vote too. From a political statement point of view, I'm torn on this. I see the validity of both sides of the argument--carrying and educate/exercise your rights and take a chance of doing more harm than good vs. be respectful of norms and work slowly to roll back infringements. There's a part of me that wants to push back against the shrill of the anti's and there's a part of me that doesn't want to **** in my own mess-kit.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    My thoughts: It is legal so if you want to do it that is fine. You will draw a police response though, so be ready to deal with that. It is also possible the responding officers will not know the law and you could find yourself at gun point or even in handcuffs. Again, be ready to deal with those possibilities.

There are many videos online of people from around the country doing this. Typically the officers will pressure you to answer a common question: Why are you doing this and don't you think alarming the sheep hurts your cause? (They'll assume your cause, if you have one, is to support the 2nd amendment.) Personally, I always get a little mad when I see this asked by officers. If you, or no one else, exercises your rights to carry openly (be it a handgun or a rifle) just because it might alarm the sheep then you might as well just give up those rights.

If you really want to draw a response you can try walking pass a school that is in session (NOT ON THE PROPERTY - I REPEAT - NOT ON THE PROPERTY - NOT EVEN A SINGLE TOE). You might very well get the swat team brought in.

Also, I also have no issue with people doing this just to get a police response. The only thing worse than the sheep not knowing the law is the people tasked with enforcing such laws not knowing them. If someone who does not mind getting a police response, or even desires it, and the law enforcement officers are schooled on the actual laws surrounding open carry of handguns/rifles during that encounter than that may prevent someone like me, who does not ever want a police response, from having to go through it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It just struck me. All this talk about "open carrying" an AR-15. Is there another option if you want to carry an AR? What kind of clothing best conceals?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I don't own a rifle. I have my riot shotgun, but I sure would hate to carry it around everyday. You would break things and would have to set it down often. It would be an easy snatch-and-run target. Unlike a handgun, if someone were to grab at a long gun it would be difficult to use it to repel the attack.

Most defensive scenarios I can foresee involve closer quarters than what a rifle is a practical tool to address. If a guy is far enough away to shoot at him with a rifle or a shotgun for that matter, then why the heck are you shooting at him? I feel that your ar15 is only a decent defensive weapon when the threat is coming in from a distance. That's why army guys are issued a sidearm along with their m-16,The long arm is almost useless in a congested setting.

I have another thought too, what about over penetration? If you DID need to shoot a guy the bullet could whiffle right through the target and go on downrange. It's just a little over powered for the application. There would be no point carrying it if you couldn't responsibly use it...... A hand grenade would be easier to carry if you wanted to pack a weapon that cannot be practically put into action.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    I don't own a rifle. I have my riot shotgun, but I sure would hate to carry it around everyday. You would break things and would have to set it down often. It would be an easy snatch-and-run target. Unlike a handgun, if someone were to grab at a long gun it would be difficult to use it to repel the attack.

Most defensive scenarios I can foresee involve closer quarters than what a rifle is a practical tool to address. If a guy is far enough away to shoot at him with a rifle or a shotgun for that matter, then why the heck are you shooting at him? I feel that your ar15 is only a decent defensive weapon when the threat is coming in from a distance. That's why army guys are issued a sidearm along with their m-16,The long arm is almost useless in a congested setting.

I have another thought too, what about over penetration? If you DID need to shoot a guy the bullet could whiffle right through the target and go on downrange. It's just a little over powered for the application. There would be no point carrying it if you couldn't responsibly use it...... A hand grenade would be easier to carry if you wanted to pack a weapon that cannot be practically put into action.

Good points. I think most people who do carry around a rifle do it just because they can and it is their right. There is nothing wrong with that though. Then again, you just never know when a situation will arise that a rifle would be better suited.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    RIGHTS are not up for debate. If someone wants to carry a rifle AS IS HIS RIGHT more power to them. I'm not saying I wouldn't pay them extra scrutiny but I also won't get my shorts in a bunch panicking over it.

If our legislators paid more heed to the Constitution this wouldn't even be a topic of discussion. Ultimately it's the fault of those who sit in the halls of power and give each other harumphs and ignore everything that made this country what it was.

Our rights are always open to interpretation and up for debate. That's why we have a Supreme Court.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Im not a LEO but my brother and uncle were. My brother said he would stop you right off the bat and check you out (hes an *** ). My uncle said he would watch you for a few extra seconds to check out behavior ie. if you are walking how fast are you walking, are you looking around a lot, you know stuff like that. Like i said im not a LEO but have taken crim. justice classes and if i were a cop i would not stop you for just carrying unless you were acting squirrely. I think the key to carrying a long gun is confidence, dont look scared you are following the law and you know it, if stopped by the police dont be a d-bag but dont act scared either.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Im not a LEO but my brother and uncle were. My brother said he would stop you right off the bat and check you out (hes an *** ). My uncle said he would watch you for a few extra seconds to check out behavior ie. if you are walking how fast are you walking, are you looking around a lot, you know stuff like that. Like i said im not a LEO but have taken crim. justice classes and if i were a cop i would not stop you for just carrying unless you were acting squirrely. I think the key to carrying a long gun is confidence, dont look scared you are following the law and you know it, if stopped by the police dont be a d-bag but dont act scared either.

The only thing about not being a "d-bag" I would like to address is the fact that there is (to my knowledge) no laws against open carrying a rifle in public in Indiana. Pretty sure you don't even need a permission slip. If I'm right, and this is the case, the individual being stopped by a LEO has the right to refuse to give any information to the officer or comply in any way. For example the person could ask the officer right away if they are being detained and if this officer says no (which should be the answer notwithstanding any actual violations of an ordinance or law) they simple say good day and walk away. If the officer says yes without an actual legal reason the officer has effectively just broken the law himself.

Many would see this is a being difficult or a "d-bag" about it but in fact it is not in my opinion. Remember, it is always best to never talk to the police or give them anything you are not required to. It will never help you one bit. Anything they ask from you, including your name, is an attempt by the officer to find a charge against you.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Yeah thats not being a d-bag i mean the little guys that feel big by screaming that they now their rights and that they are are being harassed and just try to escalate the situation and draw attention to themselves. just respectfully refuse to give info. and go about your business.

erice1984

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    South Carolina
    Why would one really want too? I think that it would be perfectly normal in a hostile environment, but to just walk around carrying a rifle for the heck of it would be a pain in the butt.

There were a number of times, in the Marines, I sure wished I would have not been carrying around my rifle...along with all the other gear, it was a hassle. JMHO.

I agree. Carried an M16 everywhere. We eventually nicknamed them "muskets" because they were so long and a PITA to maneuver with.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    It's nice to see posts acknowledging that carrying an AR-15 around just because you can is silly and counterproductive.

Also it'd be a gigantic hassle for basically no benefit. I'll keep my sidearm, thanks.

Yep we live under a govt now that encourages people to rat out their neighbors friends and family under the false
    pretense of patriotism. Every time I hear the Kenyan say the word patriotism i puke in my mouth a little.

Thanks for posting about your grotesque digestive problems and bizarre political delusions. It's always helpful when posters make it clear how seriously one should treat them. :yesway:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It's nice to see posts acknowledging that carrying an AR-15 around just because you can is silly and counterproductive.

Also it'd be a gigantic hassle for basically no benefit. I'll keep my sidearm, thanks.

anti-gunners can say the same about your sidearm.

Top Bottom