• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    Hey everyone. I just purchased my first ever gun (Walther PPS 9mm) at the Gun & Knife show in Fort Wayne a week or so ago. It only came with one magazine, and being a relatively new gun I could not find any magazines for it at the show. The PPS 9mm has six, seven, and eight round magazines; I have the seven round mag.

Is there any reason to try to get the same capacity (8 rounds to equate to 7+1) on the reload? It seems like it would be a good idea so that you don't suddenly run out of ammo when you're used to eight shots, but then again I don't know if I would notice in the heat of the moment.

I'm actually thinking about going with the six round mag for the primary (would conceal much better), so if there is a reason to keep it the same I wouldn't want to spend the dough on the eight rounders.

I'm probably just overthinking, but I just want to see what everyone thinks about it. I know conventional wisdom would tell you to get the highest capacity you can, but conventional wisdom isn't always right.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I like to own at least four magazines for any pistol I own. That seems to be the minimum magic number before irritation sets in at the range. Many folks, myself included, carry a pistol with a lower magazine capacity and a spare with a higher capacity - just easier to carry.

Magazines are your friend. They are relatively inexpensive (unless you're buying HK P7 mags
    652.gif
    ) so be sure you've got enough.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I like to own at least four magazines for any pistol I own. That seems to be the minimum magic number before irritation sets in at the range. Many folks, myself included, carry a pistol with a lower magazine capacity and a spare with a higher capacity - just easier to carry.

Magazines are your friend. They are relatively inexpensive (unless you're buying HK P7 mags
    652.gif
    ) so be sure you've got enough.

:+1: Exactly what I was going to say. Get as many mags as you can. You can never have too many! :D
    Like you said in the OP, in the heat of the moment you will likely not even be able to keep track of how many shots you fire and ammo left in mag. Many videos of people emptying their mags before they knew it since it all happens so fast.

Malard

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 12, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    For my 1911 I carry a 7 round mag + 1 in the chamber then I have two 8 rounds mags on me at all times, I also keep another 8 rounder in the center console of the truck just incase ;)

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    As Paddling_man said, four magazines as a minimum, and I have six for each of my Glocks.

Function test all magazines!
    Semi-auto handgun malfunctions are, frequently, caused by issues with magazines. If a magazine is the source of a malfunction--my advice is replace it with one that functions and deep-six the bad one. I would never bet my life on a "repaired" magazine.

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    Thanks everyone. I guess I'll put in my order for a six round and a couple of eight round mags. The gun already disappears (IWB) on my small frame wearing nothing but jeans and a small t-shirt, but with the six round magazine it will be even more invisible.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Get enough magazines so that you can "rotate" them monthly. I've got 10 mags for my 1911 and six for my Officer's Model 1911. I carry only the standard 7 round mags in the full size from Wilson Combat, and one is in the gun (naturally) and I carry two spares on the belt. Same for the Officer's Model.

I change the magazine springs yearly.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Several magazines is very nice to have, especially for range shooting. Carry the one that you feel most comftorable with, be it most rounds or more conceal-able. Carry the spare using the same criteria. If you can conceal the large spare then that is the one to carry.

You're on the right track. Welcome to the club, and welcome to INGO.

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    It only came with one magazine, and being a relatively new gun I could not find any magazines for it at the show. The PPS 9mm has six, seven, and eight round magazines; I have the seven round mag.

It came with a seven round mag. Do you carry with one in the chamber also, for a total of eight rounds? If you do, I would get eight round spare mags.

Or...

If you want to carry 6+1 because it conceals better, then get seven round for your spare mags.

That way, when you are firing, you will always count eight (or seven) shots before reloading. That is, assuming you have time to count.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    I carry a spare if for nothing else a malfunction. Having 3-5 total is never a bad idea.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You'll want to invest in enough magazines so that you can have Range/Training-only magazines and Carry-only magazines.

Also, invest in a GOOD holster for your pistol, a GOOD belt, and GOOD training.

-J-

savage 1212

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    NE Indiana
    I have 6 mags for my Glock 21 and and 10, 30rd mags for each of my AR's plus a couple of 10rd mags for range work. Not only due you want to rotate the mags but the ammo as well on a regular basis. I was recently told that to limit your liability in case you have to shoot someone to only use factory ammo not your handloads.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    You aren't going to be counting how many rounds you fire in a self defense situation. You are either going to fire until the slide locks back and then do a speed reload, or you are going to do a tactical reload the first moment you get a chance. Get whatever size mag you prefer to carry.

I also like having a minimum of 4 mags for every gun.

However you might want to start with just one extra mag and take the money you would have spent on the other 2 and put it towards buying yourself a .22lr pistol. Especially with that lightweight little 9mm, you will get a lot of benefit having a .22 you can shoot the heck out of without breaking your hand or your wallet.

Top Bottom