• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsheets1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Portage NWI
    So my daughters birthday is coming up in a few months and I am looking to get her started into some shooting. I would like her to practice with it through the winter and do an appleseed next spring, maybe even a winterseed if the weather is nice. Anyway I ampretty much thinking a 22 single shot would be the way to go. I did find this gun on Buds and it has the benefit of a 410 barrell so she can get familiar with shotguns also. I have never owned a Rossi so I am unsure of quality. I would like something that would stand up well and either she can pass it down or when my 4 month old gets old enough he can use it. Also does anyone know of somewhere that does that graphic dipping? I think she would like a "pretty" gun. What are the costs of doing the stock and forend only? Here is what I was looking at Rossi $164.00 SHIPS FREE

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    10 yr old? ... Appleseed? ....

Ruger 10/22 ... it will work well for her now and she'll never outgrow it.

Sorry, your son will have to get his own. :D

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    I traded a Cricket for a Rossi 2 barrel set (22 & 410 barrels). It held up well. My son used it for a few years until he grew into a larger gun. This gun has blued steel/walnut stained hardwood stock. The break open action helped keep our shooting sessions slow enough to ensure he did not get ahead of himself. I still have that gun & will use it for the next generation.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    For seedin, I'd go with the 10/22 or Remmy 795. The Ruger will however be a bit more money. Get an extra mag, Appleseed shoots require 2 mags for mag changes. Factory sights on Rugers are a pain to adjust, a inexpensive scope or a set of Tech Sights will have her set.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I think i'd have to say, Remington 10/22.
    There are tons of aftermarket parts so it can be built up or changed around however she wants in the future. Just start with a good quality model so she will have a good foundation.
    Either that or a nice .22 bolt action rifle. Maybe something antique/old school like a Remington Scoremaster.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The Rossi is a well-made firearm. Not suited for Appleseed, but a hardy built gun to be sure.
    I have 2 of them myself. One in .22Lr/.410 the other .22Lr/20ga

They have both taken varmint AND deer!

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Mine was a Marlin 60. Trigger still sucks 34 years later, but I still love shooting it.

I guess the point is, it doesn't really matter what you get her, just get her a first rifle that she won't outgrow. :yesway:

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    I think i'd have to say, Remington 10/22.
    There are tons of aftermarket parts so it can be built up or changed around however she wants in the future. Just start with a good quality model so she will have a good foundation.
    Either that or a nice .22 bolt action rifle. Maybe something antique/old school like a Remington Scoremaster.

Where can I get one of those?? :D

In all seriousness, I would have to agree with some of the previous posters. Ruger 10/22. then add a scope.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I just bought a Marlin 795 a few weeks ago and it rocks! About 500 rounds through it with no problems! Light weight, sturdy. Put a cheap scope and its great for plinking.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Marlin 60 was my first rifle. Darn accurate. K Mart $90 with scope:rockwoot: My sons first is a Rugar 10/20. The bolt release is a bit testy, other than that it is fine.:cool:

BSUrugger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Behind the reticle
    Oh come on now, just go ahead and get her the pink AR. You know you've thought about it.
    MandysPinkAR15005.jpg

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    CZ's are the best kept secret. It took me some time and once I bought one it is unlikely that I will own another bolt action 22lr from Ruger, Marlin or Savage.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Savage Cub is quite nice. Head and shoulders above a Cricket in quality, IMO, but might be a bit long in the stock for a 10 yo. Accuracy is very good.

The Henry Mini-Bolt is even nicer, and will probably fit a 10 yo a little better. If I were in the market to buy one, this is probably the one I would get. It fits my 9 yo girl nicely.

The Rossi is still just a tad long for my 9 yo girl, similar to the Savage.

If you can find one, my son has an Ithaca 49 that he has grown into quite nicely. He's 11, and it was a bit long when he got it for $80 at a gun show. It's a great little plinker, and it's the single shot version, which only slows him down a little. They're so cheap, it's not going to hurt the value to cut down the stock, although the angle of the stock makes it a bit difficult to get a good cheek weld for small faces.

Another thought is a S&W M&P 15-22. With it's adjustable stock it will fit and grow with her. There have been several reviews on this site, one of my own, and I can recommend it without hesitation. Accuracy is not match level but quite good. Yeah, it's pricey.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I can understand the desire for a bolt action to keep things slow and deliberate, but I think you may have better results with an autoloader and teaching internal patience. You can also just load mags half full. I am a huge 10/22 fan, it was my first rifle and I now have several. A bolt gun will be a bit of a challenge on any competition format also. A 10/22 will run you a bit more money, but as my dad says "buy once, cry once" if you do decide on a bolt gun, I would highly recommend a CZ or Savage.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Skip the overpriced and innaccurate 10/22 - get a Marlin 795. Better accuracy with the Micro-grooved barrel, and better trigger out of the box. Small-ish stock would be perfect for a 10-yr-old. Gander had a rebate making them $100 a few months back. That is unbeatable.

Top Bottom