• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    Ruger 10/22, and if she doesn't like the trigger, that can be fixed. I think it is the best all around .22 lr. there is. That is what i shot the most when i was growing up, and has always been towards the top of my list, plus it can be upgraded in endless ways.

xanderphillips

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    I'm also looking into getting a .22 rifle for my 10yo daughter to learn on. She's VERY small for her age (about the size of a 8 1/2 year old) and she's never handled a firearm before. I figure that a rifle is going to be easier to work with her on the fundamentals and safety than a handgun, as well as giving her a greater chance of building confidence through actually HITTING a target sooner. I have little to no budget, but MIGHT be able to swing ~$100. (Depending on the 'dear wife' acceptance factor.)

z0mb13_m0nk3y

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Indy
    I have a Marlin model 60 that I've had since a kid. Still love it. It is a fairly small rifle which will prob be ok for your girl. You can find them in your price range. My 8yo hasn't quite stepped up to that yet but she handles a pellet gun which is slightly bigger without much problem.

emsdial911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Lapel
    I traded a Cricket for a Rossi 2 barrel set (22 & 410 barrels). It held up well. My son used it for a few years until he grew into a larger gun. This gun has blued steel/walnut stained hardwood stock. The break open action helped keep our shooting sessions slow enough to ensure he did not get ahead of himself. I still have that gun & will use it for the next generation.

Be careful with the Rossi make sure it's not too heavy for her, That's what I got my daughter and it was WAY to heavy for her. I wish I would have started her off with the Cricket.

xanderphillips

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    I just mentioned it to her and she said she doesn't mind if it's not PINK! (So that opens up some possibilities!!! LOL!!)

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    When my youngest was 8, she wanted a pink cricket. I took her to Guns and Ordnance, and tried to get her a 10-22, and she would not have it. So, while I was browsing ammo, she was looking through the racks. She found a Henry .22 lever action that she just loved. She brought it to me, careful to keep it pointing at the ground, just like she had learned. I couldn't say no. she is 11 now and squirrel hunts with it and target practices regularly. I think kids enjoy it more, and take it seriously, when they pick what they want, since it is a very grown up decision for them.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    IMO-No way on the semi-auto for a first .22. Lets teach slow,deliberate,accurate shooting that requires a pause to reload and gain a new sight picture.The old Remingtons,510,514 ect.are inexpensive and easily modified.Maybe a Model 67 Winchester.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    For my 6yr old it was a Cricket due to the size and price (we where not certain how she would like it.) Now that she is older, the Rossi would work, but I went w/ a Henry Youth Lever instead. I would also look at the CZ youth models and the Henry bolt's.

Top Bottom