• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Doesn't hurt to try it. I wouldn't donate to a dog (unless it was leo/service animal) but I might be the minority. It might come back to bite you if a human in your family needs funds but you can't raise it because everyone just donated to your dog.

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    I would recommend calling Purdue, they will usually do operations cheaper for training of students. But..... I also highly recommend Briarcrest Animal Hospital in Bargersville. We have a Min Pin that broke her leg about 4-5 years ago, Vet on south side of Indy quoted $2000 to put a pin in it, Purdue said $1200, took her to Briarcrest and he said it would heal on it's own with a cast but without the pin. It did, she is just fine.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Is this surgery guaranteed to help the dog? Will the dog become pain free and gain mobility?
    It's $7K and it's a dog Chris.
    Not wanting to seem cold but that's a life changing amount of money.
    Maybe the donations are the right path.
    Call me insensitive but I know of very few dogs I would put that kind of money in.

Yep, I like dogs, but not putting 7k into one. I tell my kids all the time, good thing we have health insurance or there might be some hard decisions to make around here ;-)

I like dogs more than most people, but with that it's still a dog. I would put it down. I never want to see an animal suffer, but that kind of money on an animal is :nuts:.

I wouldn't donate to something like that but it sounds like others might.

I am in the camp that would never think of spending that kind of money on a pet.

I generally can't stand gofundme unless it is something really crazy/unexpected. I tend to think people should put back what they can, make sure they have insurance, etc, again if it is at all possible. I've known people to put up Gofundme pages because they couldn't be bothered to pay for health insurance or prioritize having a job that had it vs making a bit more cash somewhere else.

I would never donate for a pet, but then I also wouldn't put that kind of money into my own pet. My brother, who doesn't have kids, has had a few dobermans that he put a lot of $$ into, so I get there folks that would, but my feeling is (especially on a pet) if you can't pay for it yourself, don't ask someone else to do it.

Again, someone in true need, lost a job, sick kid, health crisis, more than one of those at the same time, etc, that's a bit different. I've been through some of that with my wife's health problems over the years and unexpected expenses, small kids in the house at the time, etc. Even with good health insurance (I have prioritized job choices where insurance was good and available, over other opportunities), she left the hospital one time and they made sure we had loan papers in hand before she was discharged. Took a while, but paid that off, didn't think to ask someone else to handle it for me.

Sorry if that comes across a bit hard.

sljccj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2017
    Franklin
    A coworker of mine had to take his dog for some knee surgery and was quotef a crazy price. He found some Vet office around Franklin that did it for like 5 or $600. I won't see him to ask where until Monday but you might be able to find it online

I wonder if it was Hillview Veterinarian. Home - Hillview Veterinary Clinic - Franklin, IN

Always get several opinions. Dr Brester in beanblossom used to do surgery cheap.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So you were planning on giving the dog away, in other words, you're already willing to break your close relationship and the other guy doesn't yet have a close relationship, so why not just release the dog from it's pain and get another dog for your friend?

$7000 is a crazy amount of money to spend on an animal, especially when you don't have the money. If you don't get enough money from handouts, then what? Refund the money? Keep asking while dog suffers?

Letting a pet go humanely is the unselfish thing to do.

:twocents:

Is it callous to say, "first world problems"? :dunno:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Chris, I would never ever consider this on any of out pets. Just an insane amount of money.
    "But"......this is not any of our pets. It is a friends pet that he loves and wants to save. How can I say no.

But seriously, putting off your health needs might not be the wise decision here. This is your choice but we are net getting any younger.

So you were planning on giving the dog away, in other words, you're already willing to break your close relationship and the other guy doesn't yet have a close relationship, so why not just release the dog from it's pain and get another dog for your friend?

$7000 is a crazy amount of money to spend on an animal, especially when you don't have the money. If you don't get enough money from handouts, then what? Refund the money? Keep asking while dog suffers?

Letting a pet go humanely is the unselfish thing to do.

:twocents:

Is it callous to say, "first world problems"? :dunno:

I agree with both. Take care of yourself first. And this is speaking from a similar position. While my current pet is healthy, my knee is not and could possibly need surgery that will be financially painful due to sucky medical plans. (THANKS OBAMA!)

Pets are great and all, but we shouldnt put them before ourselves. Kids, yes. "fur babies", no. If I had the funds, I'd donate to your situation before your pet's.

I had a similar situation, though mine was about 10 years longer in the tooth. For her it was a no brainer as she led a good life. So I do understand the situation of wanting you keep your best buddy around and happy. But if you dont have the $$ for you, then its downright stupid to spend that bank on an animal. I mean, sure. Spend the $7k on your kid because they will be around to take care of you when you need them. Is your dog going to be able to help take care of you in 5-20 years when you need help from a sentient being with opposable thumbs? And you are talking about giving him away anyway, so its a moot point.

As much as it sucks, let it go. Or possibly look into a rescue that has the funding to help. It could be incredibly easy if its a purebred. There are groups out there that will work with problem dogs with the help of generous backers and charitable vets that will get things like this fixed for virtually nothing.

Good luck. I admire you for not giving up immediately.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I agree with both. Take care of yourself first. And this is speaking from a similar position. While my current pet is healthy, my knee is not and could possibly need surgery that will be financially painful due to sucky medical plans. (THANKS OBAMA!)

Pets are great and all, but we shouldnt put them before ourselves. Kids, yes. "fur babies", no. If I had the funds, I'd donate to your situation before your pet's.

I had a similar situation, though mine was about 10 years longer in the tooth. For her it was a no brainer as she led a good life. So I do understand the situation of wanting you keep your best buddy around and happy. But if you dont have the $$ for you, then its downright stupid to spend that bank on an animal. I mean, sure. Spend the $7k on your kid because they will be around to take care of you when you need them. Is your dog going to be able to help take care of you in 5-20 years when you need help from a sentient being with opposable thumbs? And you are talking about giving him away anyway, so its a moot point.

As much as it sucks, let it go. Or possibly look into a rescue that has the funding to help. It could be incredibly easy if its a purebred. There are groups out there that will work with problem dogs with the help of generous backers and charitable vets that will get things like this fixed for virtually nothing.

Good luck. I admire you for not giving up immediately.

I know you didn't mean it like that ... you spend $7000 on your child, because they're your child (and a human), not because it's an investment in a future caregiver.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I know you didn't mean it like that ... you spend $7000 on your child, because they're your child (and a human), not because it's an investment in a future caregiver.

Thanks. Eloquence is not one of my strong suits. I inadvertently put a perk above the true meaning.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Tell your vet that a $7000 surgery is just not financially feasible and ask them what the next best option would be.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I can't imagine that having that much surgery on such a young dog that it will then lead a healthy and pain free long life. If the operation doesn't go 100 percent, then what? If 2 years from now something goes wrong and the dog needs more surgery, than what? You are holding off important health care for yourself due to this, that is nuts. What about your family that may have to care for you if you don't get proper medical care in deference to a pet?

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I can't imagine that having that much surgery on such a young dog that it will then lead a healthy and pain free long life. If the operation doesn't go 100 percent, then what? If 2 years from now something goes wrong and the dog needs more surgery, than what? You are holding off important health care for yourself due to this, that is nuts. What about your family that may have to care for you if you don't get proper medical care in deference to a pet?
    Really two different issues.
    my health issues are more me being a p***y, and being afraid to go under the knife! I'll come up with the money to do everything I need to do. Just trying to find a way to take care of her a little faster.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    What is the specific problem? What breed of dog? Some breeds live a lot longer than others, and some are prone to health issues. It IS a lot of money, but if you feel she is worth it, that makes a difference.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    What is the specific problem? What breed of dog? Some breeds live a lot longer than others, and some are prone to health issues. It IS a lot of money, but if you feel she is worth it, that makes a difference.
    Complete Cranial Cruciate (sp?) ligament Rupture. Both knees.
    may be genetic, or just from activity.
    common in Rottweilers, which she is half.
    I definitely know she's worth it.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Honestly, I would have a hard time paying that much for pet care and I love dogs/cats...the other the pet is, the more I lean to putting it down. One thing for sure, do not finance it. If you post up a gofundme, some of us who would be able to, might chip in.

Top Bottom