Opinions please... What would be a good long range rifle for targets shooting.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K9Luvn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2024
    Gas City/ Marion
    I would like to learn how to shoot rifles at targets ... taking it one level to longer as I go. What I have is a ar15.... 22-250... 30-06. From what I understand this will take me further in distance as I learn. But for my longest shooting rifle I have been told I need a bolt action 6.5 Creedmore or 308. I know I will also need to fous on scopes. But can you please guide me as what ones to start with and then next distance. Also would you suggest about the longest one I will need to start saving back for to purchase, I plan to use a leadsled. Any help to guide me on my path going on in the future.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Learn to shoot what you have as far out as you can be consistently accurate. Get the best scopes you can afford and keep them all in the same style of adjustment, probably MOA.
    Good advice. Once you've done the work on your form and are shooting consistently as well as the rifle will shoot, you can start working with load data( bullet weight, powder charges, neck sizing, primer selection) to see what the rifle likes best. Then you may decide to upgrade scope, rifle, or caliber. 6.5 is nice but not magic. 30-06 will take you to 1000 yds.
    Different caliber or rifle is probably not your limiting factor unless you are an experienced distance shooter already.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    30-06 will kill anything in North America. They shoot plenty far if good optics are mounted solidly. You should not skimp on mount, rings or scope.
    My question is what is your main objective i.e. is it strictly target or targets of opportunity should push come to shove?
    Do you have a place to shoot long distance with an adequate back stop? Not easy unless you know farmers or plan on making the trek to Bass and Bucks in Wabash.
    Personally, I would research scopes in your price range. There are so many to choose from really. One of our advertisers here carries Vortex products and from time to time he has refurbs for sale.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    You have gotten some sage advice above.
    As stated, a .30-06 is good to 1000 yards and most people will never shoot that far, let alone any farther.
    What action type is your .30-06?
    If it is a bolt gun, then you already have the tool you need.
    Practice, practice, practice, and a place to do so are what you need to concentrate on.
    Find out what ammo your gun likes and use it.
    Don't switch back and forth on cheap ammo because that's what was available.
    You'll just be chasing your own tail.

One of the biggest aides in long distance shooting is to minimize or eliminate as variables as possible.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If you have a good AR, you should be able to use it out to a couple hundred yards which is going to be pretty far for most people and for most ranges. People moved from 30-06 for several reasons to the 308. The reasons didn’t have anything to do with the ability of the caliber. If it is a good rifle and you don’t mind the recall and cost of the ammo, it should be good to go.

K9Luvn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2024
    Gas City/ Marion
    Thank you all for your advice. I will be new to distance shooting. So I'll just start and work at learning. Maybe focus more on saving for a better scope than a gun. I just want to challenge myself. Yes I am actually planning on going to Bass and Bucks. I would like to join a local club but I don't think it goes out as far, but will probably serve me well as I learn and hope to progress. I thnik I will just stick with targets... but it can't hurt if to learn if push does come down to shove.

K9Luvn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2024
    Gas City/ Marion
    My 30-06 is a bolt action and it does have alot of recoil for me. Heck I'm still learning what some of the terminology means! But at my age I just want to compete with myself.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I know it goes against almost everything you’ve been told and read from everyone, but JMO.

First is a good range, with good rest set up. One you can use time after time on your schedule.

Start with a good bolt gun with the best glass and rings you can afford in your budget. Chambered in 22lr. Now shoot that with the ammunition it likes best, develop technique and consistency and form. Shot it at 50 yards, then 100 yards and so on. Work on technique and form.

Shot that about a million times, the caliber will allow you to shot a lot due to cost, the volume of shooting will allow you to develop proper form and technique.

Read a lot about bench shooting, do your research. Apply what you learn from print media/internet media with your practical experience in the field. Then transition to center fire.

Again this only the opinion of one old guy, you could just start at 500 yards with a center fire and go from there. :dunno:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    My 30-06 is a bolt action and it does have alot of recoil for me. Heck I'm still learning what some of the terminology means! But at my age I just want to compete with myself.
    Find a local gunsmith and have a good muzzle brake installed. It’ll cut recoil drastically. Might be out a few hundred bucks. It’ll be totally worth it.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    You never said what kinda target shooting you are wanting to get into.
    Bench rest?
    Palma or mid range?
    F or F-TR ?
    XTC (across the course) with service rifle? Or match rifle
    Smallbore?
    Air rifle?

Each one of these disciplines have there own set of rules you must adhere to.

I shoot both CMP & NRA XTC (service & match rifle) and I'm just getting in to mid range.

Starting in April we shoot an NRA 80 XTC (reduced) at FWRR every Thursday afternoon. Come out and join us, give it a try, we can even find you a loaner rifle if need be.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You never said what kinda target shooting you are wanting to get into.
    Bench rest?
    Palma or mid range?
    F or F-TR ?
    XTC (across the course) with service rifle? Or match rifle
    Smallbore?
    Air rifle?

Each one of these disciplines have there own set of rules you must adhere to.

I shoot both CMP & NRA XTC (service & match rifle) and I'm just getting in to mid range.

Starting in April we shoot an NRA 80 XTC (reduced) at FWRR every Thursday afternoon. Come out and join us, give it a try, we can even find you a loaner rifle if need be.
    Its gonna take a lot of Googling there, brother. LOL

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Find a local gunsmith and have a good muzzle brake installed. It’ll cut recoil drastically. Might be out a few hundred bucks. It’ll be totally worth it.
    30-06 has recoil? Huh. Never though it was much. Even as a kid, a buddy's dad and his friend took us to sight in their 30-06 rifles for a trip out west and they let us shoot them. The adults were both saying stuff like "Damn, that'll bloody your nose!" I thought My .410 kicked harder. :dunno:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    30-06 has recoil? Huh. Never though it was much. Even as a kid, a buddy's dad and his friend took us to sight in their 30-06 rifles for a trip out west and they let us shoot them. The adults were both saying stuff like "Damn, that'll bloody your nose!" I thought My .410 kicked harder. :dunno:

Perhaps. But shoot a box full of 180's, then let me ball 'n' dummy a magazine for you. I'll tell you if you flinch, but you'll already know. :)

Top Bottom