Opinions please... What would be a good long range rifle for targets shooting.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K9Luvn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2024
    Gas City/ Marion
    I know it goes against almost everything you’ve been told and read from everyone, but JMO.

First is a good range, with good rest set up. One you can use time after time on your schedule.

Start with a good bolt gun with the best glass and rings you can afford in your budget. Chambered in 22lr. Now shoot that with the ammunition it likes best, develop technique and consistency and form. Shot it at 50 yards, then 100 yards and so on. Work on technique and form.

Shot that about a million times, the caliber will allow you to shot a lot due to cost, the volume of shooting will allow you to develop proper form and technique.

Read a lot about bench shooting, do your research. Apply what you learn from print media/internet media with your practical experience in the field. Then transition to center fire.

Again this only the opinion of one old guy, you could just start at 500 yards with a center fire and go from there. :dunno:
    This sounds like pretty solid advice advice. Thank you

K9Luvn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2024
    Gas City/ Marion
    Find a local gunsmith and have a good muzzle brake installed. It’ll cut recoil drastically. Might be out a few hundred bucks. It’ll be totally worth it.
    OK thank you for the advice. I will look into that into that for the furture. I did locate a gunsmith... has a place right by my son's house. That makes for a convient visit.

K9Luvn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2024
    Gas City/ Marion
    30-06 has recoil? Huh. Never though it was much. Even as a kid, a buddy's dad and his friend took us to sight in their 30-06 rifles for a trip out west and they let us shoot them. The adults were both saying stuff like "Damn, that'll bloody your nose!" I thought My .410 kicked harder. :dunno:
    Well my neck and shoulders have been rebuilt so I do feel the slightest bump. My 30-06 is a Remmington 700 SPS Stainless Steel. One thing I noticed the first time shooting it is the trigger is extreamly light. I mean 3 of us shot it and the very first bullet came out before we even realized... we barely touched the trigger. Like I said I'm hear to learn so don't know if they are all like that.

K9Luvn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2024
    Gas City/ Marion
    Its gonna take a lot of Googling there, brother. LOL
    You never said what kinda target shooting you are wanting to get into.
    Bench rest?
    Palma or mid range?
    F or F-TR ?
    XTC (across the course) with service rifle? Or match rifle
    Smallbore?
    Air rifle?

Each one of these disciplines have there own set of rules you must adhere to.

I shoot both CMP & NRA XTC (service & match rifle) and I'm just getting in to mid range.

Starting in April we shoot an NRA 80 XTC (reduced) at FWRR every Thursday afternoon. Come out and join us, give it a try, we can even find you a loaner rifle if need be.
    Yes completely lost me here. I guess I better get to googling.:)

10mm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2024
    Greencastle
    I would like to learn how to shoot rifles at targets ... taking it one level to longer as I go. What I have is a ar15.... 22-250... 30-06. From what I understand this will take me further in distance as I learn. But for my longest shooting rifle I have been told I need a bolt action 6.5 Creedmore or 308. I know I will also need to fous on scopes. But can you please guide me as what ones to start with and then next distance. Also would you suggest about the longest one I will need to start saving back for to purchase, I plan to use a leadsled. Any help to guide me on my path going on in the future.

If it's just targets then there are plenty of good options for a caliber swap. I'm a big fan of 6.5grendel in a hunting ar and the ballistics are pretty decent for shooting out around 600m or so even with a semi auto. A 5-25 vortex is what I've been using for years on my 7 rem mag and it's often too much magnification for hunting, which is why I carry a sidearm for under 50m.
    All the advice about scopes is good, they cost more, but they're worth investing in if you want to be good. Most bolt rifles come with a sub moa guarantee from factory these days, so you can't really go wrong. I would recommend bergara or Tikka for a good starting place unless you're ready to drop some serious cash on a chassis and a custom build. Spend more on your scope than your rifle and make sure you have enough left over to have plenty of ammo to play with.

K9Luvn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2024
    Gas City/ Marion
    If it's just targets then there are plenty of good options for a caliber swap. I'm a big fan of 6.5grendel in a hunting ar and the ballistics are pretty decent for shooting out around 600m or so even with a semi auto. A 5-25 vortex is what I've been using for years on my 7 rem mag and it's often too much magnification for hunting, which is why I carry a sidearm for under 50m.
    All the advice about scopes is good, they cost more, but they're worth investing in if you want to be good. Most bolt rifles come with a sub moa guarantee from factory these days, so you can't really go wrong. I would recommend bergara or Tikka for a good starting place unless you're ready to drop some serious cash on a chassis and a custom build. Spend more on your scope than your rifle and make sure you have enough left over to have plenty of ammo to play with.
    I actually have had my eye an a Tikka. I haven't even begun to learn about scopes and that is something I know that is going to be very important. I'm sure with everyones help I will get there.

K9Luvn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2024
    Gas City/ Marion
    How far have you shot your this rifle?
    I have only shot it once and it was a few years back. I. honesetly don't know what the measurement was. My neighbor has it marked off. I would have to ask him. Been hiding in the house for awhile. Just want to get out and have a hobby to challenge myself. I would really like to join the local conservation club so I can practice an a regular basis.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I actually have had my eye an a Tikka. I haven't even begun to learn about scopes and that is something I know that is going to be very important. I'm sure with everyones help I will get there.
    Optics can help us guys with old eyes, however some mid range & some Palma matches require you to use metallic sights. A little more high tech then the "buck-horns" found on a winchester 94, and very effective.
    Resized_Resized_20200421_194921.jpg
    Optics are kinda like rifles, first or second focal plain? What reticle? Target dot? Duplex? German number 4? Drop compensation? This list is endless. Side focus? Exposed target turrets? Resized_PART_1691457686881_Resized_20230518_165252.jpg

Top Bottom