• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I will beg to differ with this assertion. Lasers can help create incredibly tight groupings. That being said, some of the drawbacks have already been presented.

Difficult to find a holster for a gun equipped with a rail mounted laser.
    Lasers require practice using and more than a little lack of self-consciousness when everyone on the firing-line can see you shake and jerk the trigger. Everybody does it, but it isn't always so obvious for everyone to see.
    The distance a laser is dialed in for is the only one where it is accurate. Everything else requires a "windage" adjustment.
    Batteries are a PITA to deal with.

There are several positive things about lasers, but they are debatable enough that it becomes one of those things where your opinion and priorities should lead you.

I enjoy playing around with lasers, I don't know that I would trust my life to the cheaper ones to be functional when I need it to be.

Crimson trace is what I have settled on for good stuff. I believe they recently acquired Laser Max.

I’ll stand by my statement. They aren’t meant for tight groupings. Just because some can successfully use them to do, doesn’t make it the intended use of the device.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I would stay away from the Star Wars crap! :): A dovetail mount might be the best route for you. If you fall in love with the dot then decide if you want to spend big $$ on machining.:yesway: https://czcustom.com/cz-parts-all/red-dot-mounting/dovetail-rds-mounting-plates.html

Not going to spend as much on an optic that I have in the gun (or half as much): I'm not in competition shooting, except with myself and just having fun.
    Not wanting to open up a can of expensive worms by buying the latest and greatest in optics: just want to know the ordinary options.
    Remember, I'm the guy whose very happy with the $90-$110 Nikon scopes I have and the $90 Bushnell red dot.
    The pistol used scope was sold for $180 new, and I got it for $90 used.
    This is just for fun, but if I ever did want to use my CZ Shadow for a steel match, I thought it would be a good idea to have a red dot on it, but I can use another gun.

Lasers aren’t meant for tight groupings.

Meaning, just for steel?

He had said he didn't want to remove the rear sight.

Since the CZ only has elevation adjustable sights, but the windage has to be "drifted," of which I paid to have someone do that since the rear sight wasn't right, I'm afraid if I take off the rear sight, I'll have to pay again to get it right.
    If I knew that I would leave whatever I bought for the CZ, b/c I would love it like the other scopes & red dots I have, then I wouldn't mind taking off the rear sight, b/c that means I wouldn't have to put it back on until I sold it, unless I sold whatever I bought with it.
    I took the rear sight off a Mark 3 to make room for a Nikon pistol scope I bought used ($90), but since it is truly adjustable, I can reinstall that at some future point if needed w/o paying someone.

Rather than 5"@50', I think you will find it is more like 0.5"@50'.

Now that seems reasonable.

I know but it may save him several hundred dollars if he did.
    Also rear sight, front sight and the dot have different focal points.
    I can't imagine that being optimal with tri-focals.
    I wear multi-focal contacts and I have not found a lens that works with irons and dots equally well.:(

Sounds like you are saying unless I take off the rear sight, it will cost me hundreds of dollars to do it a different way.
    Not going to happen.
    By using the device someone recommended early on (cost $60), I could put a Bushnell 25 red dot on it (paid $90), and have $150 in it.
    Unless I'm not understanding.

So far, that seems to be the best option, unless taking off the rear sight costs the same or less than that.
    I "assumed" that a laser would not cost anymore than a decent red dot ($90ish), and that it would work like a red dot did, but I've read here where that isn't the way it works.
    Bummer.
    :dunno:
    Perhaps it will be iron sights only if there is not a simple way to address this.
    I was warned in a private email that milling the slide is the reasonable way to go, but $$.

As guys send different things for me to look at, I will keep researching to find out if this is a direction I want to go or not.
    I'm selling off most of my guns, so I thought I might have a little splurge on this CZ Shadow 2.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    If you're paying $90 for a Bushnell TRS-25, you're paying too much. They're usually around the $65 - $70 range, but I've seen them dip down to around $50 several times this year. Black Friday is coming up also.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If you're paying $90 for a Bushnell TRS-25, you're paying too much. They're usually around the $65 - $70 range, but I've seen them dip down to around $50 several times this year. Black Friday is coming up also.

Well, crapola!
    I bought it over a year ago when it was on sale: sounds like I didn't do my research or they were not selling that cheap then.
    When I looked them up yesterday, I notice that it was on sale somewhere for $60ish, and thought they had fallen in price alot.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I’ll stand by my statement. They aren’t meant for tight groupings. Just because some can successfully use them to do, doesn’t make it the intended use of the device.
    I don't have any problem running rounds in the same hole at 7 yards with a laser or an optic and I certainly can't do that with any type of open sights. I find both easier to use, quicker to align and more accurate because my focus is at the target rather than front sight focus and juggling front and rear sight alignment. I'm curious where your opinion that they aren't "meant" for tight groups comes from? :dunno:
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO…Glock/ M&P Certified armorer[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright [/FONT]

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    A laser could be used for plinking steel up close. However it would be a terrible choice for Steel Challenge matches where the distance may go out to 35 yards and speed is all that matters.

Trying to get on target (except at extremely close ranges) quickly by watching the target for the dot just does not work. Unless you use the sights to get the laser dot on target you may never find it.

Shooting someone else's pistol a fair amount with a red dot will be your most economical way to determine if you want to pursue this at all. If you find you do want to go this route, save up the dollars and do it right. Consider it a lifetime investment in your shooting pleasure.

Last edited:

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I don't have any problem running rounds in the same hole at 7 yards with a laser or an optic and I certainly can't do that with any type of open sights. I find both easier to use, quicker to align and more accurate because my focus is at the target rather than front sight focus and juggling front and rear sight alignment. I'm curious where your opinion that they aren't "meant" for tight groups comes from? :dunno:
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO…Glock/ M&P Certified armorer[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

I’m glad it has worked that well for you. I’ve seen a lot more people frustrated by them then happy with them.

Circles back to it’s a defensive tool that some can adapt to more precise work.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    A laser could be used for plinking steel up close. However it would be a terrible choice for Steel Challenge matches where the distance may go out to 35 yards and speed is all that matters.
    Trying to get on target (except at extremely close ranges) quickly by watching the target for the dot just does not work. Unless you use the sights to get the laser dot on target you may never find it.
    Shooting someone else's pistol a fair amount with a red dot will be your most economical way to determine if you want to pursue this at all. If you find you do want to go this route, save up the dollars and do it right. Consider it a lifetime investment in your shooting pleasure.

I shot a Smith Victory I bought off a member here that was set up for Steel Challenges with a red dot, 5 mags & flat trigger.
    I bought it for Steel Matches, and used it at the range and enjoyed it, but since I never made it to start doing steel matches, I sold it b/c I had the Browning Buckmark Target that I put my own red dot on, then sold it, and now I have my red dot on my Smith 41 I bought off a member here, and it has enhanced my shooting pleasure.
    I have to sort through the cost of doing this.

Someone sent me this, as to what you are referring I suppose: $160 for milling & $20 shipping:

https://cajungunworks.com/product/spcz75ken-shadow-optic-mount/

FY5Ocb5.jpg

I wonder if you can get this milling done locally at ZR Tactical in Noblesville?

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Well, crapola!
    I bought it over a year ago when it was on sale: sounds like I didn't do my research or they were not selling that cheap then.
    When I looked them up yesterday, I notice that it was on sale somewhere for $60ish, and thought they had fallen in price alot.

Don’t feel bad. T-dogg manages to buy $1 bills at the bank for 10% off.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...Someone sent me this, as to what you are referring I suppose: $160 for milling & $20 shipping:

https://cajungunworks.com/product/spcz75ken-shadow-optic-mount/

FY5Ocb5.jpg

I wonder if you can get this milling done locally at ZR Tactical in Noblesville?

That's the best way to set one up. There should be a few places to get this done locally such as ZR Tactical and AllenM.

Those same places can refinish the slide to protect the metal exposed by machining from rust and for appearance. Then you have the cost of the small lightweight red dot.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I’m glad it has worked that well for you. I’ve seen a lot more people frustrated by them then happy with them.

Yes I've found an optic to be a great benefit to me and the laser to many new shooters that I've trained.. This seems to be the problem for many that have trouble adapting. :)
    0RFaFoS.jpg

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

Because it requires work and dedication to learn to shoot an RDS equipped handgun. It is not something ANYONE is going to pick up and immediately be comfortable with.

SageDynamics on youtube has quite a lot of exceptionally helpful videos to help teach you the fundamentals of how to use the sight properly. You just need to remember to put the sight between your eye and the target, and always have a consistent grip. With practice and patience it becomes vastly faster than any iron sights.

It is not any more or less precise to use than iron sights, if you have sighted in your pistol correctly. It's just faster and can be tracked through recoil, unlike iron sights.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    That's the best way to set one up. There should be a few places to get this done locally such as ZR Tactical and AllenM.
    Those same places can refinish the slide to protect the metal exposed by machining from rust and for appearance. Then you have the cost of the small lightweight red dot.

I have gotten that advice both here on the boards and in private emails.
    Since it isn't going to be a simple $100 upgrade, I'm not going to be in a hurry.
    In fact, I could just get a different gun that is already set up for it, but I was just trying to use what I have to be efficient.
    Didn't work out too well for me, did it? :dunno:
    I'm not of the mind to go down a $400 - $500 upgrade to this CZ, since I enjoy it the way it is.
    If I was going to spend money doing upgrades I would do it to a .22LR pistol, or even a .22LR rifle, not a 9mm.

I'm in a flurry of activity choosing what to sell, putting ads in, selling items (and buying a couple on the side when I'm supposed to be trimming), but at least I'm selling more than I'm buying: baby steps. :laugh:

Thanks for your input! Sorry we didn't get together to shoot this summer.
    Time is flying by quicker retired than when working: go figure. :)

Last edited:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus

Because it requires work and dedication to learn to shoot an RDS equipped handgun. It is not something ANYONE is going to pick up and immediately be comfortable with...

For the record we're talking apples and oranges here.

Areoflyer09 is referencing lasers while Tombs is referring to red dot sights.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    On a humorous ironic note: I was going through my "gun closet" trying to organize things and to rediscover items I've bought over the last 2.5 yrs.
    I found the usual array of holsters (forgot about the leather IWB & OWB that goes to the S/W 5906 I no longer have), rails, rings, grips, soft gun bags, extra springs and even an old scope that came on my S/W 41.

I stumbled across not 1, not 2, but 3 inexpensive small lasers that I bought months ago to experiment with and forgot about them b/c I got busy with rifles and scopes and rails, and rings.
    I guess I'll find out just how cheap they are trying to put one on, giving me some slight exposure to the world of lasers.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

Good post.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    On a humorous ironic note: I was going through my "gun closet" trying to organize things and to rediscover items I've bought over the last 2.5 yrs.
    I found the usual array of holsters (forgot about the leather IWB & OWB that goes to the S/W 5906 I no longer have), rails, rings, grips, soft gun bags, extra springs and even an old scope that came on my S/W 41.

I stumbled across not 1, not 2, but 3 inexpensive small lasers that I bought months ago to experiment with and forgot about them b/c I got busy with rifles and scopes and rails, and rings.
    I guess I'll find out just how cheap they are trying to put one on, giving me some slight exposure to the world of lasers.

A good plan and I think you will find your groups improve. PLUS the price is right :). Just remember, let the dot come to you.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

Top Bottom