• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Disgruntled0321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2019
    In a compound
    I'd go with a light and laser combo on your rail and leave it at that. You have one beautiful CZ there! I wouldn't spend all that money to have the slide milled for a RDS when a light and laser combo is more economical and will do just as good if not better. IMHO I think it would be better because you wouldnt have to learn how to aim using the RDS on the slide. I mean it's not hard at all and just takes practice . Other than that there are more options for holsters with a light and laser combo out there than there are for your CZ equipped with a RDS. My main reasons for advocating for the light and laser combo are the cost of milling and refinishing the slide and buying a RDS for it compared to the cost of a good light and laser combo like one from the TLR series. Also with the light and laser combo you'll be adding a light that you probably would've added anyways. Just my:twocents:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    A good plan and I think you will find your groups improve. PLUS the price is right :). Just remember, let the dot come to you.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright [/FONT]

I had to chuckle about that "price is right" comment, since you get that I bought some "free" ones. :laugh:
    I got them in the mail, put them in a drawer b/c I was busy.
    I found them the other day, and thought, "Why not?"

Appreciate the input.
    I love shooting the CZ Shadow 2 more than anything else I've had, but I'm not ready to "do it right" and spend $500 to be more accurate at this point.
    I'd rather buy a better rifle and better scope for my "accuracy" fix, but right now I'm having fun with the ordinary Rugers (semi-auto & bolt action) with Nikon & Hawke scopes.
    Someday maybe I'll step up to the CZ & a better scope or whatever is recommended.
    In the context of handguns, in .22LR I went from $200 +/- up to over $1200 for one including optic and a $750 one with optic.
    In semi-automatic 9mms I went from $200 to the Shadow, and I got over $1200 in it.
    I think it's called: "addiction."

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I'm feeling intuitive and will be awaiting the range report from today. :) I know you will be testing. PM me if you want some pointers on getting that dot to work for you. :)

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO…Glock/ M&P Certified armorer[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm feeling intuitive and will be awaiting the range report from today. :) I know you will be testing. PM me if you want some pointers on getting that dot to work for you. :)

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO…Glock/ M&P Certified armorer[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]

I'm busier now retired than when I was working! :ugh: Your intuitions won't work with me since I'm a square peg that doesn't fit into a round hole. :rofl:
    Left the house 8:30 am & didn't get home till about in time friends who are coming over this evening. :runaway:
    I bought a gun in the parking lot of Cabelas, and sold a gun at Lowes on Emerson past 465 (the Ruger SR9c I loved).
    Then I went to the range, but it was to try out a gun I bought Sunday from an older man like myself who I'd sold a couple of guns to in the past, and try out the one I bought today, along with my 1962 Hi-Standard I like so much ($250). :draw:
    All .22LR, no 9mm with lasers attached today. :dunno:
    I do appreciate you thinking of me, and after I give those cheap lasers a whirl, I probably will have questions. :ingo:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I'm busier now retired than when I was working! :ugh: Your intuitions won't work with me since I'm a square peg that doesn't fit into a round hole. :rofl:
    Left the house 8:30 am & didn't get home till about in time friends who are coming over this evening. :runaway:
    I bought a gun in the parking lot of Cabelas, and sold a gun at Lowes on Emerson past 465 (the Ruger SR9c I loved).
    Then I went to the range, but it was to try out a gun I bought Sunday from an older man like myself who I'd sold a couple of guns to in the past, and try out the one I bought today, along with my 1962 Hi-Standard I like so much ($250). :draw:
    All .22LR, no 9mm with lasers attached today. :dunno:
    I do appreciate you thinking of me, and after I give those cheap lasers a whirl, I probably will have questions. :ingo:
    I've found that even the inexpensive rail mount lasers are adequate for what you're doing. You'll be putting them all in the same hole before you know it. :)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'd go with a light and laser combo on your rail and leave it at that.

It never entered my mind to get a light for my pistol. It is strictly a range toy.

You have one beautiful CZ there!

It feels heavenly, but I can't bear to look at that Urban Grey. :laugh:

I wouldn't spend all that money to have the slide milled for a RDS when a light and laser combo is more economical and will do just as good if not better.

Agreed. When I found out to do it right, meant spending more than I wanted to, I doubt if it will happen.
    I have to make choices I didn't have to make 1-2 yrs. ago.
    I have other pans-in-the-fire that I want to spend money on more than this brainchild.

IMHO I think it would be better because you wouldn't have to learn how to aim using the RDS on the slide.
    I mean it's not hard at all and just takes practice .

I don't mind a learning curve, it is part of what I find so stimulating about this hobby.

Other than that there are more options for holsters with a light and laser combo out there than there are for your CZ equipped with a RDS.

I won't be using the Shadow 2 in a holster, unless it is in steel matches w/o any optics, since I bought a holster just for that purpose.
    It hadn't even entered my mind to buy any optics for my CZ Shadow when I bought a holster for it.

My main reasons for advocating for the light and laser combo are the cost of milling and refinishing the slide and buying a RDS for it compared to the cost of a good light and laser combo like one from the TLR series.

Cost/value/benefits is always high on my mind.

Also with the light and laser combo you'll be adding a light that you probably would've added anyways. Just my:twocents:

Really? I can't imagine why for a range gun.
    If I would use this as a house gun, perhaps, but presently I'm using my Kimber 6s for that since I sold the S/W model 10-6 .38 special Saturday.

Thanks for your input. :thumbsup:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Put the metal laser dot on the "under rail" of the CZ Shadow 2.
    Checked both adjustments: they respond.
    Got my bag ready to go test it out at the 50' range and I realized they were closed on M & T now.
    It was too late to go to Point Blank in Greenwood b/c of after work traffic.
    I'll hit it tomorrow.

rDSzY2t.jpg
    gft0nbM.jpg
    KoKfbau.jpg
    O0oXNVS.jpg

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    If you have a known distance inside your house you would like to use at the range, you can do a little pre-alignment before you go to the range. It might also save a little ammo.

Dial the laser dot, projected at your targeted distance, to sit right on top of the front sight when you are aiming the gun using the iron sights. You ought to be be able to to see the rear sight lined up with the front sight and the laser dot right on top of the front sight projected out front.

I usually start this process at 7 yards.

This gets you a really good start for your range time. Adjusting for distance only requires a vertical adjustment to the laser. Horizontal adjustment might also be necessary depending on the quality of the device and cross-track movement.

Don't be afraid to use a sandbag while you become familiar with the experience. Don't be self-conscious about the "laser dance". Focus on holding the dot steady and your trigger break when the dot is where you want it. Black targets are bad for this process, printed out targets with lots of white paper and only black outlines are best for laser work.

Be patient with yourself, have fun, and I was only trying to help if any of these suggestions seemed obvious or patronizing.

If you would like more suggestions, let me know. Lasers are fun and I have been playing with them for a while now.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If you have a known distance inside your house you would like to use at the range, you can do a little pre-alignment before you go to the range. It might also save a little ammo.
    Dial the laser dot, projected at your targeted distance, to sit right on top of the front sight when you are aiming the gun using the iron sights. You ought to be be able to to see the rear sight lined up with the front sight and the laser dot right on top of the front sight projected out front.
    I usually start this process at 7 yards.
    This gets you a really good start for your range time. Adjusting for distance only requires a vertical adjustment to the laser. Horizontal adjustment might also be necessary depending on the quality of the device and cross-track movement.
    Don't be afraid to use a sandbag while you become familiar with the experience. Don't be self-conscious about the "laser dance". Focus on holding the dot steady and your trigger break when the dot is where you want it. Black targets are bad for this process, printed out targets with lots of white paper and only black outlines are best for laser work.
    Be patient with yourself, have fun, and I was only trying to help if any of these suggestions seemed obvious or patronizing.
    If you would like more suggestions, let me know. Lasers are fun and I have been playing with them for a while now.

Thanks! :thumbsup: Don't mind the input at all, I have huge gaps in my basic knowledge of all things guns, and I've never even had an optic until recently, and they have been an enhancement.
    I now have an optic on two semi-auto .22LR pistols & on 3 .22LR rifles.

I had thought of the lining up the laser red dot through the iron sights, but since you can't do that with a red dot, I thought maybe there was a reason you couldn't with a laser.
    Sounds like a poor man's laser bore sighter approach, which I've never done, but like everything else, am intrigued by it: seems efficient.
    I saw a vid about a guy dialing in his rifle in 5 shots or less, by taking out the bolt, looking through the barrel using sand bag rests, which gets a person on the paper close enough to begin dialing in the scope.

Strangely enough, when I've done a quick look, there seems to be the cheap ones: "free" ($10 - $15 shipping each) or it jumps to much more.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    A few of what I saw starting with cheap (which I'll try out today) and on up.
    I did not put in the grip fitting or guide rod replacement type for obvious reasons.
    I found some for $60 up to $100ish and wondered about them.
    I suppose I'd better get the $29/2 yr. warranty :dunno: I saw mentioned.

cUXRJTV.jpg

$11 - $20 (I have the "free" ones with $10/$15 shipping/each)
    TACTICON Laser Sight Weaver or Picatinny Rail | Red Dot Lazer Sight Pistol |
    4.3 out of 5 stars
    #1 Best Seller in Airsoft Gun Lasers
    ✔ EXTRA SET OF BATTERIES & LIFETIME WARRANTY - We provide you with 2 sets (6 total) batteries. Also, if you don't like the product or if something happens to it please return it for a full refund or a new one! No questions asked!
    ✔ COMBAT VETERAN OWNED COMPANY! I stand by and produce only the products that I use myself as a soldier.
    ✔ RIFLE, SHOTGUN, OR HANDGUN - This versatile laser sight can be mounted on any firearm with a picatinny or weaver rail.
    ✔ INCREDIBLE ACCURACY! You can adjust and zero-in this laser just like any other sight or optic. Simply use the elevation and windage wrenches included.
    ✔ HIGHLY VISIBLE - This laser is very powerful and can be seen with the naked eye at distances of up to 100 meters!
    Cons
    Oddly-sized batteries
    Locking screw may be too large for some rails

YgNpbfP.jpg

$11 Pinty Compact Tactical Red Laser Sight with Picatinny Mount
    Cons
    Adjustment screws practically require Loctite
    Laser housing projects forward

tueaRLx.jpg
    Similar pic, not sure if exact.
    $135 - $280
    Streamlight TLR-6
    Custom fit for Glock 42 and Glock 43 Handguns
    QUESTION: any reason this couldn't be put on Shadow 2 slide even though not "form-fitting?'

NO PIC
    Crimson Trace CMR-201 Rail Master Universal Laser Sight
    $70 - $300

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    If it is a sunny day and you want to do some laser work...Aluminum foil. Small squares under clear packing tape or aluminum foil duct tape.

You will know when the laser hits the shiny. If you are dialed in for say, 45 ft using a sand bag for fine tuning your laser, and you have properly trained yourself to be smooth on the trigger pull you might be surprised how small of a group you can shoot if you are patient and wait for the flash.

Using a laser is a different kind of shooting; looking at the target. Detractors call them crutches and claim you spend too much time looking for the dot. It does seem strange to not be focusing on the front sight.

Spend time practicing with them and you'll learn to point your weapon through muscle memory and hand-eye coordination. You won't have to look for the laser, it will be where you expect it to be, as long as the battery or electronics didn't unexpectedly die.

Disclaimer for the traditionalist: Lasers are no substitution for learning how to use iron sights or obtaining quality marksmanship skills. I don't like to ever depend on electronics.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    A few of what I saw starting with cheap (which I'll try out today) and on up.
    I did not put in the grip fitting or guide rod replacement type for obvious reasons.
    I found some for $60 up to $100ish and wondered about them.
    I suppose I'd better get the $29/2 yr. warranty :dunno: I saw mentioned.

cUXRJTV.jpg

$11 - $20 (I have the "free" ones with $10/$15 shipping/each)
    TACTICON Laser Sight Weaver or Picatinny Rail | Red Dot Lazer Sight Pistol |
    4.3 out of 5 stars
    #1 Best Seller in Airsoft Gun Lasers
    ✔ EXTRA SET OF BATTERIES & LIFETIME WARRANTY - We provide you with 2 sets (6 total) batteries. Also, if you don't like the product or if something happens to it please return it for a full refund or a new one! No questions asked!
    ✔ COMBAT VETERAN OWNED COMPANY! I stand by and produce only the products that I use myself as a soldier.
    ✔ RIFLE, SHOTGUN, OR HANDGUN - This versatile laser sight can be mounted on any firearm with a picatinny or weaver rail.
    ✔ INCREDIBLE ACCURACY! You can adjust and zero-in this laser just like any other sight or optic. Simply use the elevation and windage wrenches included.
    ✔ HIGHLY VISIBLE - This laser is very powerful and can be seen with the naked eye at distances of up to 100 meters!
    Cons
    Oddly-sized batteries
    Locking screw may be too large for some rails

YgNpbfP.jpg

$11 Pinty Compact Tactical Red Laser Sight with Picatinny Mount
    Cons
    Adjustment screws practically require Loctite
    Laser housing projects forward

tueaRLx.jpg
    Similar pic, not sure if exact.
    $135 - $280
    Streamlight TLR-6
    Custom fit for Glock 42 and Glock 43 Handguns
    QUESTION: any reason this couldn't be put on Shadow 2 slide even though not "form-fitting?'

NO PIC
    Crimson Trace CMR-201 Rail Master Universal Laser Sight
    $70 - $300

Crimson trace is good stuff. Little to no drift and at one time they had a "Free batteries for life" campaign going on.

I've also used Laser max stuff. They are alright, but they would drift over time. I would have to work them back and forth during an adjustment to try and remove tension off of the translation mechanism. A battery would die in about 6 months if you left one in the device. I thought I heard Crimson Trace bought them a while back so I don't know how much of their stuff is still on the market.

The minimum I would expect to spend is $100. I've seen people bring out "other" stuff and it rarely ends well.

Things to watch out for:

Some lasers require adapters and spacers for mounting.
    Do you have to remove the laser from the gun to change the battery?
    Cheap stuff sometimes has poorly fitting battery covers. I've also seen cheap stuff break at the range with less than 50 rounds fired.
    Being able to hold zero is invaluable if not a requirement. If you need to continually adjust things there is something wrong.
    I wouldn't buy ANYTHING listed for Airsoft use and put it on a real gun. This stuff is under real recoil and needs to be designed and constructed for such use.

Best of luck to you, your experience may differ.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If it is a sunny day and you want to do some laser work...Aluminum foil. Small squares under clear packing tape or aluminum foil duct tape.
    You will know when the laser hits the shiny. If you are dialed in for say, 45 ft using a sand bag for fine tuning your laser, and you have properly trained yourself to be smooth on the trigger pull you might be surprised how small of a group you can shoot if you are patient and wait for the flash.
    Using a laser is a different kind of shooting; looking at the target. Detractors call them crutches and claim you spend too much time looking for the dot. It does seem strange to not be focusing on the front sight.
    Spend time practicing with them and you'll learn to point your weapon through muscle memory and hand-eye coordination. You won't have to look for the laser, it will be where you expect it to be, as long as the battery or electronics didn't unexpectedly die.
    Disclaimer for the traditionalist: Lasers are no substitution for learning how to use iron sights or obtaining quality marksmanship skills. I don't like to ever depend on electronics.

Thanks for the tip!
    I plan to only use it indoors at the range.
    Doesn't sound like the most efficient for Steel Shooting, and I have another gun with a red dot for that anyway.
    If I do any steel shooting with the CZ Shadow 2, I'll just use the iron sights probably.

Curious as to which of the Laser dots you have used.
    Feel free to pm me if you don't want to admit to buying the cheap "free" ones. :laugh:

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Thanks for the tip!
    I plan to only use it indoors at the range.
    Doesn't sound like the most efficient for Steel Shooting, and I have another gun with a red dot for that anyway.
    If I do any steel shooting with the CZ Shadow 2, I'll just use the iron sights probably.

Curious as to which of the Laser dots you have used.
    Feel free to pm me if you don't want to admit to buying the cheap "free" ones. :laugh:

I started off with LaserMax because Gander Mountain had a sale and there was a factory rebate. I ended up sending it back to the manufacturer because it wouldn't stay on.

The second one worked much better. I had money burning a hole in my pocket and I saw another sale. Since I had decent CS I bought another one for another gun.

I have since found joy in Crimson Trace stuff. The Rail Master is pretty good . Like I said, I have not seen much drift with Crimson Trace vs LaserMax (which always seems to move a little between range trips).

My brother is the one who bought the cheap stuff that had all the problems. One laser he picked up for $30 literally fell apart I seen many folks at the range trying their hand using lasers. I have seen many that will not stay on or are intermittent (one of the most common problems).

Typically they are only used for a magazine or two and then they shut them off and quit using them. I believe they are self-conscious because their experience isn't like Hollywood.

Being an RSO I got a lot of time to practice with mine when no one was around. Now, it doesn't matter. If someone can teach me to do better I invite them to do so, not arrogance, Proverbs.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Made it to the range and tried out the laser at 20' & 30' & 40'
    I could not get the correct adjustment for windage & elevation.
    If I turned it a little, it either went too little or too far over and over again: could be all my fault. but after a box of shells, I was done with it and put it up.
    I shot better, literally, w/o the laser.
    I would need a better laser with calibrated adjustments.
    The screws were buried deep into the housing and difficult of access and turn with the little Allen wrench provided.
    I didn't notice any shaking on my part but I was using a gun rest.
    It didn't seem any different than looking at a red dot, except you simply looked at the target instead of a lens which was no big deal.
    Do I buy a $50 - $60 one, or a $100ish. i'd rather not just through money at it.
    I'll need to wait and check out the recommendations of specific products mention here that members like and look up the cost.

I was adjusting the laser every couple of shots, but when I didn't I would shoot into part of the hole already there, showing it has potential as a concept.
    f9L3NvV.jpg

Last edited:

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Well, if nothing else you have built upon your experience points. Only you can decide if it is worthwhile or entertaining enough to pursue.

Your experience seems similar to several I have seen. Were you adjusting the laser trying to chase your POI or was the laser not staying where you left it?

Not very many people stick with it long enough to get things where they need to be (alignment of the firearm and expectations). Thus, I believe, the mixed reputation.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Well, if nothing else you have built upon your experience points. Only you can decide if it is worthwhile or entertaining enough to pursue.
    Your experience seems similar to several I have seen. Were you adjusting the laser trying to chase your POI or was the laser not staying where you left it?
    Not very many people stick with it long enough to get things where they need to be (alignment of the firearm and expectations). Thus, I believe, the mixed reputation.

Simply trying to line up the POI to the POA.
    There was the issue also that 2 shots in a row sometimes weren't placing in the same spot, but be 4-5 inches away: puzzling since I was using a rest.
    I speculate that with this "free + $10 shipping" is not made precise enough for proper adjustments to take effect.
    I love sighting in red dots & scopes and seeing them respond to the twist & turns, but this thing was a nightmare: you simply could not get it fine-tuned.
    Close, but that is not good enough for me.
    I can get close w/o an optic at only 20 & 30 feet, sometimes even 40' with the CZ Shadow with my old eyes.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    A member got with me at Point Blank in Greenwood to solve my Laser issues.
    I would share with you that helpful person's name or moniker, but I forgot to ask, and I've learned some don't want to be mentioned.
    Nothing wrong with the laser: it was me, of course.
    I have little optic experience, and since on a scope there is alot of turning to be done, but apparently, not on a small laser.
    I would have figured it out but after a more than a box of ammo and I was still chasing the POI, I said, no more.

Fairly simple this time: baby steps.
    These were all shot on a rest.
    I should have labeled the "free-hand" rounds as "non-laser" rounds since they were all on a rest.
    Laser more accurate, of course.
    8wmaHye.jpg

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    A member got with me at Point Blank in Greenwood to solve my Laser issues.
    I would share with you that helpful person's name or moniker, but I forgot to ask, and I've learned some don't want to be mentioned.
    Nothing wrong with the laser: it was me, of course.
    I have little optic experience, and since on a scope there is alot of turning to be done, but apparently, not on a small laser.
    I would have figured it out but after a more than a box of ammo and I was still chasing the POI, I said, no more.

Fairly simple this time: baby steps.
    These were all shot on a rest.
    I should have labeled the "free-hand" rounds as "non-laser" rounds since they were all on a rest.
    Laser more accurate, of course.
    8wmaHye.jpg

Hey, I'm glad you got back to it and found some joy! I hope you keep practicing and building your experience with it.

Like I warned before, please don't become self conscious about the laser dance when you get off the rest. In other words, don't let pride get in the way of practice.

Best of luck to you!

Top Bottom