"Our man" Senator Joe Donnelly votes yeah for every gun control bill offered.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Lugar needed to go. He was the best democrat the republicans had at the time. Too many times he forgot he was a Hoosier first and voted against the wishes of this state.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    At least he's not like Senator Warner (D) from Virgina, who voted along party lines. I don't see anything wrong with delaying a person on the no fly list, but to deny is taking it too far.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    That silly 'ol Mourdock, with his speaking what he believed about killing babies and it not being their fault who their parents may be...

...how's he sounding now?

All those who "just couldn't vote for him" for his insane :rolleyes: position on "women's health", happy now?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    That silly 'ol Mourdock, with his speaking what he believed about killing babies and it not being their fault who their parents may be...

...how's he sounding now?

All those who "just couldn't vote for him" for his insane position on "women's health, happy now?

You act like something significant happened. Is any and every nut job with an "R" behind his name supposed to be the go-to, no matter what? His loss was his own fault, not the voters.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You act like something significant happened. Is any and every nut job with an "R" behind his name supposed to be the go-to, no matter what? His loss was his own fault, not the voters.

"The voters" fell victim to PC :poop:. Now we're paying for it. I'm just reminding them, so they might learn from their mistakes.

And yeah, any future voting actions that result in a "D" win will bring us more of the same.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    "The voters" fell victim to PC :poop:. Now we're paying for it. I'm just reminding them, so they might learn from their mistakes.

And yeah, any future voting actions that result in a "D" win will bring us more of the same.

But, I thought two of those Bills were introduced by the Republicans and at least one was endorsed by the NRA? What do you think about the Republicans who voted in favor of their party's Bills?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    But, I thought two of those Bills were introduced by the Republicans and at least one was endorsed by the NRA? What do you think about the Republicans who voted in favor of their party's Bills?

I would hardly call Susan Collins a Republican, unless we're talking about the typical country club blueblood Rockefeller types.
    And any Republicans who voted to divest the natural right for self-defense with no due process (no-fly list), then they should just be honest and put "(D)" next to their names, too.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Donnelly is a product of the failure that is the Indiana republican party. They had better candidates than Mourdock, they just chose to ignore them. The Indiana Republican party is probably run by democrats.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I would hardly call Susan Collins a Republican, unless we're talking about the typical country club blueblood Rockefeller types.
    And any Republicans who voted to divest the natural right for self-defense with no due process (no-fly list), then they should just be honest and put "(D)" next to their names, too.

There was one Bill authorizing the AG to place a hold on a gun purchase without due process (Republican) and another to deny without due process (Democrat). So are you suggesting that every Republican who voted in favor of their Bill, which was also endorsed by the NRA, isn't worthy of the "R"?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don't know whose man donnelly is supposed to be. Even the union members who thought he was their champion have lost their love for him. With Coats retiring, this next election will be critical if Indiana does not want to end up like the slum growing, commie states of the east coast.

Whose man? Unions.
    What is wrong with this idiot and how did he get in?

Democrats, along with the Unions, and Media, helped Mourdock defeat Lugar. They've used this tactic in other states. Missouri, for example. They tried to use it in KY against McConnell but no one bit. The idea is to find what they consider to be "fringe" Tea Party Republicans and help them win primaries against Established Republican incumbents that democrats can't beat.

A bunch of dumbasses voted out Dick Lugar and voted a real screwball into the Republican candidate spot. The screwball lost to Donnelly.

Democratic trickery notwithstanding, Lugar needed to go. His vote on just about anything wouldn't have been much different than Donnelly's.

JGalt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2013
    Boone County
    Two examples of my experience with Lugar -

Without exception, when I called his office to inquire about his position on a particular piece of legislation, I would always be told that "the senator hadn't made his mind up." This was the case even when there was a matter of mere hours until the vote. This went on for quite some time, until I finally said -
    "1. The senator knows, but has chosen not to tell you!
    2. The senator knows, and has informed you, and then has instructed you not to tell his constituents.
    3. The senator really doesn't have a clue.
    Which of these alternatives is it?" At that point, I heard the crickets chirping on the other end of the phone, and figured that any further commentary would be wasted.

The next example would be when Eric Holder was up for confirmation in front of the Senate. I called to request that Lugar vote against him. I was not happy when I learned that he voted in favor of Holder! I called the office in order to confirm that Lugar had, in fact, voted to confirm Holder. When I was told that he had, I asked why he voted to confirm. I was told by the staffer that Lugar felt that he was qualified. My response was that if Holder was qualified, then Dr. Jack Kevorkian was qualified to be head physician at a nursing home. Again, I heard the crickets chirping on the other end of the phone, and figured that any further commentary would be wasted.

Bottom line, he did his best to hide his voting record from constituents, and his positions definitely did not reflect what the people of Indiana wanted. He had spent far too long attending the parties and soirees in DC, and it was well past his time to go.

FWIW,

J Galt

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Joe is seen as a traitor by the Left, for voting on the Republican bills.

To give Joe a little credit, he brought the Sec Def to Crane this week. Small base that plays a big role in the military and employees lots of Hoosiers.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Joe is seen as a traitor by the Left, for voting on the Republican bills.

To give Joe a little credit, he brought the Sec Def to Crane this week. Small base that plays a big role in the military and employees lots of Hoosiers.

Who explained to Ash the purpose concrete humps with grass growing on them? Just sayin, I'm better qualified for SECDEF (based on experience, education and training) than this guy or Mumbles Hagel.

Seriously, Crane has a lot going on. I interviewed for a job their in 2007 when I was about to retire from the USAF (not selected but not bitter, things worked out). All kinds of stuff there other than the really huge bomb dump it's known for.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Donnelly was allowed to vote for Republican bills that never had the numbers to make it anyway, attempting to keep his job in a red state. Similar to some of these supposed R's around congress voting for gun control bills they know don't have numbers to make it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I've heard Lugar use the "qualified" reason before to justify a confirmation vote. He said his understanding of the role of the Senate in advice and consent is to simply determine if the person is qualified to hold the office, and determine that there aren't any historical character issues. He said that the president is elected by the people and should get to choose who he wants, as long as the person has the qualifications to do the job. Luger defined "qualified" as having the credentials and experiences to carry out the duties of the office, apart from political ideologies.

The problem with that, ideology does matter. Not only should the senate advise and consent on nominee's technical competency, but also on how the Senator's constituency feels about the ideological quirks the nominee brings to the office. In my view, I would not expect a progressive Democrat, coming from a strong progressive state to vote to confirm a staunch Tea Party nominee. Same goes for a conservative Republican, I shouldn't expect a Republican Senator from Indiana to confirm Eric Holder.

Two examples of my experience with Lugar -

Without exception, when I called his office to inquire about his position on a particular piece of legislation, I would always be told that "the senator hadn't made his mind up." This was the case even when there was a matter of mere hours until the vote. This went on for quite some time, until I finally said -
    "1. The senator knows, but has chosen not to tell you!
    2. The senator knows, and has informed you, and then has instructed you not to tell his constituents.
    3. The senator really doesn't have a clue.
    Which of these alternatives is it?" At that point, I heard the crickets chirping on the other end of the phone, and figured that any further commentary would be wasted.

The next example would be when Eric Holder was up for confirmation in front of the Senate. I called to request that Lugar vote against him. I was not happy when I learned that he voted in favor of Holder! I called the office in order to confirm that Lugar had, in fact, voted to confirm Holder. When I was told that he had, I asked why he voted to confirm. I was told by the staffer that Lugar felt that he was qualified. My response was that if Holder was qualified, then Dr. Jack Kevorkian was qualified to be head physician at a nursing home. Again, I heard the crickets chirping on the other end of the phone, and figured that any further commentary would be wasted.

Bottom line, he did his best to hide his voting record from constituents, and his positions definitely did not reflect what the people of Indiana wanted. He had spent far too long attending the parties and soirees in DC, and it was well past his time to go.

FWIW,

J Galt

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Donnelly was allowed to vote for Republican bills that never had the numbers to make it anyway, attempting to keep his job in a red state. Similar to some of these supposed R's around congress voting for gun control bills they know don't have numbers to make it.

Some of the Republicans who voted to give the AG authority to place a hold on those on the no fly list get a pass and others don't?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Some of the Republicans who voted to give the AG authority to place a hold on those on the no fly list get a pass and others don't?

As far as I'm concerned, no one gets a pass who votes for gun control.

This isn't a gun control issue anyway. It's about terrorism. Anyone who thinks otherwise is falling for the liberal/anti-gun trap.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    A bunch of dumbasses voted out Dick Lugar and voted a real screwball into the Republican candidate spot. The screwball lost to Donnelly.

Getting rid of Lugar was a victory in and of itself. Losing the seat to Donnelly is a separate issue. Lugar was just as bad if not worse on RKBA issues.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    As far as I'm concerned, no one gets a pass who votes for gun control.

This isn't a gun control issue anyway. It's about stripping rights away under the pretense of terrorism. Anyone who thinks otherwise is falling for the liberal/anti-gun trap.

FTFY

Last edited:
    Top Bottom