• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So, two70, upon a return trip, the area we hunt is considered Piney Woods, generally, but the topography of the actual parcels is so varied that only parts of it are actually piney woods. :)

And, I can vouch for the Hornady 75 gr. BTHP for the .223. The round in an AR took a doe and a (pretty big) hog, both at about 100 yds or less. (I wasn't shooting, but it was my gun.)

The doe, it wasn't a great shot, hit toward the front of the shoulder but expanded and blew out the heart and lungs. The entry wound was probably 3 inches around - it probably hit the shoulder and exploded. There was gore coming out of the hole, and the internals looked devastated. The deer basically dropped where she was hit.

The hog was interesting. The shot was right where it was placed, behind the shoulder. (I know that's not necessarily the best location to take a hog, but the shooter was kinda a traditionalist). Anyway, the hog ran about 20 ft. after getting shot, then dropped. It had about a 1 inch entry wound. We flipped it over and were surprised that there was also a bit of an exit wound. Maybe a pencil width, but a little blood leaking out. We didn't cut it open, but I figure the expansion was devastating. One of the guys that works the ranch estimated the hog at about 200 lbs., which puts it on the bigger side of average for that area.

Anyway, very pleased with the 75 gr. Hornadys. At least at the 100 yd range, they help make the AR a legitimate hunting rifle (in areas where it is otherwise legal). Shot placement, of course, is primary, but the round has some built-in forgiveness that keeps it ethical. (IMHO)

75gr_btsp_match_1.jpg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So now we know that the gun shoots just fine, so it must have been the ammo being the problem :D

hahaha

Uh... yeah... exactly. :D

(Well, full disclosure, I re-arranged the optics on a few rifles, so this one now has a 3-9x40 instead of the prior tactical 1.5-4x20 optic. The 1.5-4 is a great optic, but didn't make sense on that rifle. Having a closer view of the target probably doesn't hurt.) :)

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    So, two70, upon a return trip, the area we hunt is considered Piney Woods, generally, but the topography of the actual parcels is so varied that only parts of it are actually piney woods. :)

That sounds a lot like where I hunted hogs, though I believe I was a bit farther east, technically part of the Piney Woods eco-region but more of a transition to Post Oak Savannah with more varied topography and not a pine on the property.

Top Bottom