• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    BoR - I don't think it is the Governor - The Reciprocity Agreements are between States' Attorney Generals ... If they are not recognized by legislation on a partial or complete level. ...

From: http://www.ago.wv.gov/gunreciprocity/Documents/Firearms Handbook (August 2014).pdf :

“Reciprocity” or “mutual recognition” occurs when two states mutually permit their respective citizens totravel to the other state and lawfully carry a concealed handgun. If West Virginia has “reciprocity” or “mutualrecognition” with another state, it means a West Virginia CHL will be recognized as valid in that state, and thatstate’s CHLs will be recognized as valid in West Virginia.8 “Formal recognition” of West Virginia CHLs, on theother hand, means that another state will recognize a West Virginia CHL as valid in that state, but West Virginiacannot mutually recognize the other state’s permit due to lack of an agreement or lack of proper notificationfrom that state’s Governor.Pursuant to the provisions of West Virginia Code § 61-7-6a, the West Virginia Attorney General is responsiblefor negotiating with other states to determine whether a West Virginia resident may lawfully carry a concealedweapon in those states with a West Virginia CHL. The Attorney General may either enter into a writtenagreement with other states for purposes of obtaining reciprocity, or seek mutual recognition of CHLs with stategovernors through official notification.As of the date of this booklet (August 2014), West Virginia has full handgun reciprocity or mutual recognitionagreements with thirty-one (31) states, namely: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware,Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, NewHampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina,South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Virginia and Wyoming.9State law currently prohibits the recognition of concealed handgun licenses from other states in the absence ofeither a written agreement between the states, or notification from another state’s Governor recognizing WestVirginia CHLs. However, the laws of a number of states do allow for the recognition of West Virginia licensesin instances where mutual recognition does not exist.

Either a letter from Mr. Pence, or a negotiated agreement which he would still have to sign. Which is easier?

Blessings,
    Bill

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Thanks BoR ...
    I sense a (few) post(s) from IMAGC coming on Letters to Gov Pence and appropriate Legislators to push the letter route ...
    The hard part is understanding 50 states laws and how they interact on this issue ... our own IC is hard enough sometimes ...
    (for example PA, which was just looking at has like 5 "levels" of route's for reciprocity ... SMH! :no: ) ...

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Thanks BoR ...
    I sense a (few) post(s) from IMAGC coming on Letters to Gov Pence and appropriate Legislators to push the letter route ...
    The hard part is understanding 50 states laws and how they interact on this issue ... our own IC is hard enough sometimes ...
    (for example PA, which was just looking at has like 5 "levels" of route's for reciprocity ... SMH! :no: ) ...

Feel free to write, BB3, or visit him personally, or push legislators or whatever. The letter he writes only has to confirm to them that IN law does recognize the WV carry permit as valid within the state of Indiana, and carry his signature. I understand that sometimes, such letters have further ramifications, but there are none here that *I* can see.

Oh... if your letters get answered by someone at Indiana State Police who tells you that ISP can't and won't try to affect another state's laws, don't be surprised. Ask me how I know.

Blessings,
    Bill

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    I guess I am confused. The way I read it is that if the other state (Indiana in this case) honors their permit (wv) then west Virginia will honor the other...... Indiana has wv listed as a state it recognises. So wouldn't that make us g2g?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I guess I am confused. The way I read it is that if the other state (Indiana in this case) honors their permit (wv) then west Virginia will honor the other...... Indiana has wv listed as a state it recognises. So wouldn't that make us g2g?

You would think so. Unfortunately, you would be wrong in thinking so, at present. Their law requires a letter from our governor to the effect of our law recognizing their permit. Crock of poo, if you ask me.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    I didn't see anything about this, so here is an update to West Virginia reciprocity. It looks like Mike Pence wrote the letter. Attorney General Morrisey Secures Mutual Concealed Carry with Indiana

Yes, looks like an Indiana LTCH is good to go in WV as of May 2. I will appreciate this when I get my LTCH in Indiana. I have my Florida license, but it will be nice for my main license to be accepted more places. I go to WV a few times a year so this will be handy.

Top Bottom