• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Anonym

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 2, 2010
    Orange County
    The intent of this post is NOT to offend someone, but I've just about had it and need to vent.

For the past couple years, I've had some stinking jack-legs coming down here from Indy, setting up stands close to my property lines and within eyesight of my stands, banging and clanging all the way to their stands with their white headlamp on. They've even been caught tresspassing on my property to "gain access" to difficult areas of the federal lands, and just recently, I tracked 4-wheeler tracks across my property and THROUGH the government land.

I'm not the only one. They are also encroaching upon many of my neighbors. I also found out that some of the private land they have hunted in the past has been sold and that they DO NOT have permission to hunt it anymore, yet they are still there. Once I saw the tracks on government land, I finally called a spade a spade and called up the CO to come out and see what he can do about it.

What's up with this? Don't huntes have any ethics or respect for fellow hunters anymore? With thousands of government acreage at their disposal, why does anyone feel the need that they have to crowd out local land owners? :dunno:

I'm really hoping that this group of hunters really gets their just desserts from the CO about the crap they are pulling, but if they manage to elude them, Lord have pity on them if they cross my property or leave their 4-wheeler parked on my land again. :draw: I've always wanted a 4-wheeler, and I bet my tractor won't have any problems towing it back to my house for an ignition swap out...

Guns are loaded and waiting at every door for my next run-in with these clowns. :ar15: Please be respectful of other hunters when you're in the woods, and PLEASE be respectful of property owners in the areas you hunt. :twocents:

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    yeah, it's always amazed me that some hunters are so dangerous and willing to trespass where other people ALSO CARRYING GUNS are.

Seriously, even if I were to somehow let my ethics slip and consider hunting private land illegally, I'm pretty sure my fear of being shot mistakenly would still keep me from doing it.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    i feel your pain. i have taken down two stands on my hunting property that were put there without permission from me or the land owner!! i understand people want to hunt and good ground is hard to find for some, but be respectful of what others have worked hard to purchase and own

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    I'll ask a stupid question; is it possible these guys don't know they are on private property? Especially if its adjacent to public lands.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    I am from Indy and hunt on federal land where private property butts up to it. I do everything I can to stay off others property and to not hunt on top of someone else. I try to get in early to claim my area it also annoys me when others can see a vehicle parked in the only way in and there are plenty of other spots they could go to but no they park next to me and then walk in on top of me that as well is annoying and a lot of these are locals. Where you are from has nothing to do with bad manners or ethics. I know you werent just calling out people from Indy but i feel sometimes just because we live in Marion County we are looked upon as city bumpkins who do not know anything about the woods or hunting and some of us grew up on farms in Marion County and the hunting ground just isn't here for the most part due to all the development. Sorry no offense just venting as well.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I'll ask a stupid question; is it possible these guys don't know they are on private property? Especially if its adjacent to public lands.

A lot of people, city and country both, seem to feel that any land that doesn't have a house on it within sight is abandoned or public land. With locals it's usually deliberate ignorance (well, I ain't been run off yet [this week]) and with city folks it's often because any plot of land larger than a city block that doesn't have crops on it must obviously be public land because most urban folks without a rural background simply don't have much of a concept of large tracts of land having value unto itself.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    In my experience, many "locals" to remote land seem to think they have access to anything because their grandfather did.

Anonym

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 2, 2010
    Orange County
    These guys have been coming here for several years. Yes, I know they are from Indy. Yes,they know they are on private land. Some of which they've had permission to hunt in the PAST, but they don't feel the need to check in with the property owners or they WOULD find that it is no longer theirs to give permission to hunt. These guys know very well where the properties are since they deliberately set up on the property lines, clear shooting lanes into areas that they have been denied to hunt, etc.

Nope, not pointing fingers to those from Marion Co. Just stated it because that is where they are from. Not meaning to generalize here, but these guys come back year after year and we've had run-ins with them before.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    These guys have been coming here for several years. Yes, I know they are from Indy. Yes,they know they are on private land. Some of which they've had permission to hunt in the PAST, but they don't feel the need to check in with the property owners or they WOULD find that it is no longer theirs to give permission to hunt. These guys know very well where the properties are since they deliberately set up on the property lines, clear shooting lanes into areas that they have been denied to hunt, etc.

Nope, not pointing fingers to those from Marion Co. Just stated it because that is where they are from. Not meaning to generalize here, but these guys come back year after year and we've had run-ins with them before.
    OK, thanks. Light'em up :ar15: // just kidding

Anonym

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 2, 2010
    Orange County
    Umm, I talked to them? I saw their trucks license plates that indicate they are from Marion County? I spoke with my neighbor who has talked to them about every year they've been coming down here? I'm psychic? LOL

Money17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Pisses me off as well. I had pics on my trail cam of coon hunters Saturday night of bow opener. They did not ha ve permission to be on th property! Atleast they didn't steal my camera!

TSmith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Seymour
    Anonym, I know your frustration. Same thing here in Northern Orange county. Out of towners and locals - trespassing, riding four-wheelers, stealing tree stands, hunting right on the border facing your property, etc. etc. etc. :xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad:. Lord help the SOB's if my dad ever catches them!!! And coon hunters!! they seem to think that since they are hunting at night they're not meesing anybodys hunting up, and its ok to hunt where ever they want.

Last edited:

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    There are a couple of doctors that hunt next to me. They are from Chicago. Possibly the 2 most ignorant individuals ive ever had the displeasure of dealing with. Got the tresspassing problem solved with the help of a local CO. Darn good thing too because my next course of action was going to involve some 12 ga slugs and their pretty Lexus.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    It is a shame that there are "hunters" out there that are like that. They ruin it for the rest of us that dont have private land to hunt on. Bad experiences with poachers/tresspassers make landowners not want to allow anyone on their property for any reason.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    It is a shame that there are "hunters" out there that are like that. They ruin it for the rest of us that dont have private land to hunt on. Bad experiences with poachers/tresspassers make landowners not want to allow anyone on their property for any reason.

/\ This right here.

Permission to hunt on private land is becoming harder and harder to get. In the last 4 months I've talked to over 30 different land-owners in my area, attempting to get hunting rights granted. In each and every case, I was told "no" due, primarily, to hunters in the past trespassing, shooting livestock, houses, vehicles, leaving trash, etc. One farmer told me he lost TWO horses last year to gunshot wounds! WTF...how in the world do you confuse a horse with a deer? Some of the stories I was told are just shocking. I was talking to one guy about hunting coyotes on his land and he told me that he loses more sheep and lambs each year to stray gunfire than he does to to coyotes.

Top Bottom