• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I also found out that some of the private land they have hunted in the past has been sold and that they DO NOT have permission to hunt it anymore, yet they are still there.
    Remember the old saying "familiarity breeds contempt"

You are going to have to retrain these folks. You need to familiarize them with you and your opinions of their behavior.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I hope the CO gets things taken care for you.
    A couple of tresspassing tickets should slow them down a little.
    Good luck.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Not to get too much off of the topic, but I hunt down that way and there are several Hooiser National tracts that are completely land locked by private property around them. I was told several years ago by a LEO/CO that legally I had the right to cross private property (as long as I was not hunting while crossing) to get to these tracts. I never followed up to see if he was correct. Does anyone know if this true? :dunno:

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    I get the same treatment at my place. I own about a 1/2 mile of Big Blue river. People will canoe, stop and set up camp along the bank. They don't realize they cannot get out on the bank unless they have permission or on public property. The people and boats must stay in the water to be legal. Later in the fall, they come back and try to deer hunt without permission. I have a whole collection of deer stands. lol

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I know the feeling.

I run in to people at our farm who think it's part of the public hunting land of the Hoosier National Forest because DNR incorrectly shaded our area green on the "Where to Hunt" map...

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    Hell I've been down south and the locals will post Hoosier National forest land with no trespassing signs just to keep other out because they want it for themself.

No one likes trespassers and I hope the CO does his job and gets them , he should since I asume you gave him the plate numbers.

There is a lot of National forest open to the public that buts up to private and the boundries can be hard to find even with maps provided by the HNF office.

ATV's are horrible on land , I hate that anyone rides them becuase they destroy the land and vegitation and make a muddy mess out of everything. Its illegal to ride them on Forest land

jason765

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Henry County
    In my experience, many "locals" to remote land seem to think they have access to anything because their grandfather did.
    Yes, its usually the local "good ole boys" that think they are some how entitled to hunt wherever they want, whenever they want and with whatever weapons they want.

Anonym

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 2, 2010
    Orange County
    Yes, I don't doubt that, and if you run across them, you should report them just the same. They get lumped into the tresspassers, fence sitters, and folks who just have no respect for others in my book.

Terry4570

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    N.A. IN.
    Hell I've been down south and the locals will post Hoosier National forest land with no trespassing signs just to keep other out because they want it for themself.

No one likes trespassers and I hope the CO does his job and gets them , he should since I asume you gave him the plate numbers.

There is a lot of National forest open to the public that buts up to private and the boundries can be hard to find even with maps provided by the HNF office.

ATV's are horrible on land , I hate that anyone rides them becuase they destroy the land and vegitation and make a muddy mess out of everything. Its illegal to ride them on Forest land
    I have had the old no trespassing sign trick behind tipsaw lake,i have hunted there long enought to know where i am,the atv's are bad the trash that they leave behind is what gets me,mostly beer cans and bottles.I have called and talked to all of the powers to be and they don't seem to care a lot about it.I found a minne mud pit in the middle of a pine thickit.It's sad that we have so many slobs in are woods.:xmad:

savageayape

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Martinsville
    I'm sick of trespassers on my property. Check out the attached photograph from my trail camera of these losers riding through my private property. I believe I know who it is. I believe it is one of my neighbors. My other neighbors are great. Unfortunately, my land also borders a state forest and idiots think they can ride horses and four wheelers on my land. I have it posted, but some people don't care. I plan to have the trail cam photo laminated and secured to a property line marker facing the neighbor's property who I believe is in the picture. If it's not them, they will at least realize I am watching. I see tracks from their four wheelers running from their land to mine. They are leaving a trail easier to see than the deer do.

picture.php

Last edited:

GM_Geezer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    In my experience, many "locals" to remote land seem to think they have access to anything because their grandfather did.

This^
    I wish I would hear once I made a mistake, I should have asked.
    Instead of I have permission. I know you don't. I didn't give it to you. Only the truth comes out then. Well my uncle, dad, cousin said he did. He may have 20 years ago.

kb66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have had the same reaction as earlier posts when asking for permission to hunt. The landowner says no because some idiot did something stupid and I'm left to driving hours to hunt public land with many of those same idiots. It sure makes me long for the old days when a guy could get permission to hunt on a handshake and because he was thoughtful and respectful, the landowner wanted to you come back and would give you tips about where to go.

My uncle in Colorado once had a saddled paint horse shot by an elk hunter. How does that happen?

Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin
    I've never hunted, although I really would like to try it sometime.

Thus, I'm not too up on the lingo involved. What is a "CO"? My kneejerk thing is to think "control officer" but I've never heard this term and don't know if it's correct, or, if so, what a "control officer" (or whatever CO is) does.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Tony

rao

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    I certainly feel your pain as a land owner. I mainly hunt state land but I actually purchased the topo maps for all 133,000 acres of the Hoosier Natl forest to avoid crossing over on private land by accident. Moreover, these maps are also updated regularly to reflect new land purchased by the state. Personally, I think its every hunter's responsibility to ensure they are not encroaching on private land and it never ceases to amaze me how inconsiderate so many guys are. I hope to someday own a nice plot of land myself and plan to post every other tree if I have to and wont have a problem notifying the authorities for people who blatantly ignore the property lines.

Top Bottom