• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy 1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have the LCP and carry daily. Like it a lot. No experience with Keltec. LCP is pretty accurate for what it is. Up close and personal

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Had a TCP. Felt nice for what it is, but could never get it to feed and eject reliably (lots of different ammo, 2 trips back to the factory). Decided on LCP over the P3AT primarily due to the slide lock. The ability to lock the slide is very useful for clearing the inevitable jam. As long as it is kept clean, the LCP has been very reliable.

Erich

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    High Desert of New Mexico
    I find the LCP's frame (with its slight indentations) to fit my hands better, and I find that I shoot the LCPs more accurately than the P3ATs. So, that's what was right for me.

28aug11LCPdetails0011.jpg

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I have the P3AT. I've shot several types of ammo through it without any issues. It's my understanding that Ruger basically copied the P3AT, some of the parts are even interchangeable.
    I have not found any of the little 380s other than the Sig that I like to shoot. My advise is to pick the cheapest one because they are not a gun that you will be shooting for fun. Decide on your protection ammo, make sure it works perfectly in the gun and you're done.

sartwell

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    New Haven
    LCP, I've had both, and think the LCP is better built. I can bring mine in for you to try out if you want. Let me know at work tonight.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    I've had a few of the KT 32's & have shot the 3AT. I liked them okay & wouldn't have a problem with either of them, but I did end up getting the LCP & really like it.
    The LCP seems to be easier for me to shoot well and I've had no problems with it. I did have to replace a part in one of my 32's a long time ago, but had no issues w/ the KT's after that.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    My p3at was a super reliable sweet little pistol that I miss everyday. That being said, it hurt to shoot more than 50 rounds, and it was picky about what kind of ball ammo I fed it. The LCP is a polished version of the P3AT.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Ruger LCP has my vote. I owned a P3at before my LCP and didn't like it a bit. It felt a little cheaper and jammed a couple of times. My LCP is has been 100% flawless and surprisingly accurate for a "pocket pistol".

THIS!!! 100%

I know lots of people don't have trouble with the p3at... But lots of other folks do. Out of all the p3at vs lcp threads I've seen, I don't remember seeing a single person say they had trouble with the lcp. Surely can't say the same for the p3at.

The ruger is simply a better built gun.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    My first .380 was the Kel Tech. I couldn't believe how accurate it was. Problem was, I could not get it to go through one mag without a jam. Kel Tech sent me a new extractor, but I didn't feel like messing with it. So I got rid of it. Next was the LCP. Just as accurate as Kel Tech. "For what they are" Never jams, so I kept it. The TCP is also something to consider. I have had some FTF problems with it. I think the ramp needs some attention. If you like SA and feel like spending some $$$, the SIG P238 is awesome!!! Just don't let her shoot it, or it won't be yours anymore. LOL.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I have both the LCP and the P3AT. Like them both. They are both sensitive to limp wrists (a problem that even experienced shooters sometimes have with such a small grip), but otherwise no problems from either past the break in period. The both had some failures to feed inside the first 100 rounds.

I don't have a preference, but my wife prefers the LCP, so I carry the Keltec. :)

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Ruger

I don't care if Ruger copied KT. They made it better.
    Ruger would make anything better than KT.
    KT does have a wonderful CS dept., which is good. The chances you will need them are high.
    A lot is said about how great KT CS is, but Ruger is a match.
    My point is, myself and two friends have KT products. All three of us have had to send ours back to KT. All of us have Ruger products, and none have ever failed.
    Just my experience.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    LCP would be my choice as well. It has a proven reputation. My only drawback is the trigger pull, but at close range how much of an effect would that be on accuracy. But then again I own neither and have never shot a p3at so my opinion might be biased.

I went with the p238 because I liked the trigger pull and sights. But that being said, Im still on the hunt for an LCP cause I think it would be a great reliable addition, feel it can be concealed easier, and cost wise ... 299 new, I think its an awesome deal.

tdmman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    South Central Indiana
    I own both. Hate the LCP's trigger. I carry the Kel-Tec. Neither one will hit the side of a barn. At the Indy 1500 last year, I overhead a guy telling his buddy that the Kel-Tec was a copy of the Ruger!! I wanted to straighten him out, but have learned the hard way to stay out of other people's conversations.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I dont own the Kel-tec .380, but do have an LCP. My only issue with my LCP is the finish, as it didnt last very long in pocket carry duty. I fixed that with a quick park job on the slide, and now its just fine for me.
    If I had to do it over again, I would either buy the chromed slide version, or go with the Smith and Wesson BG380, as the finish is a bit more durable on them, and the slide does lock back on the last shot, just like a bigger pistol.

slmlrd

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I had a P3AT. Sent it back for warranty twice for failure to ejects. Got it back and then it would do failure to ejects and failure to feeds. Called KeL Tec and they sent me a pre-paid fed-ex label and sent me a refund check for the gun.

I bought an LCP a few months ago and have put about 300 rounds through it without a single problem. I had read a lot about the limp wrist problem with these small guns. I think if it was me causing the problem I would have issues with the LCP. Should have paid the extra money for the Ruger to begin with.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I carry the LCP quite a bit in the summer when wearing shorts and a tank top...most especially when bicycle riding. It stays put in a Fobus holster and clipped to my road or mountain bike shorts.

Top Bottom