• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilkenjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    I just picked up a P99 9mm AS and i shot a friends Glock at the range and kinda liked it better, but i am very very new to handguns and i was just wondering if a trade for a g19 or g17 would be a good idea. or should i just keep the p99?

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I would keep the P99, but that is my personal opinion. I like the way the P99 feels in my hand a lot better than the way the glocks do. something about the square sight picture also turns me off to glocks. they are great guns, and you will not regret getting one from the point of it being a bad gun, but you may regret it from the point of not liking the Glock as much as you like the P99.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    If you didnt shoot them side by side at this range trip, then try and do it. Thats the best way to figure out which one suits you best.

Coming from a G19 guy..... see which one handles the best, you shoot the best and are comfortable with.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    They'll both depreciate... But the Walther will hold it's value longer.

P99 magazines in 9mm are expensive and difficult to find. SW99 mags will also fit. They're also hard to find in 9mm.

If yours is in .40, mags are easy to get a hold of.

I used to own two Walther P99s. I now no longer own them. Of course, I've also owned two G19s and one G17... don't own them any more either!

I found the G19 and G17 to be much easier to shoot follow up shots. Same with the S&W M&P pistols.

The P99's higher bore axis + grip angle meant that it was rather flippy upon recoil = slower follow up shots for me.

However, I've said it before and I'll say it again: I believe that the P99 is one of the most ergonimic pistols on the market today. And the AS trigger system is a technological marvel in a handgun.

-J-

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Gotta agree with Indy_Guy_77. I have both a G23 and P99 in .40 S&W. The Glock is definately faster on the followup shots. The P99 is much more comfortable and accurate. You will be hard pressed to find a more accurate service pistol then a P99. If I had to keep only one of these pistols it would be my P99.

cranduit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    As often as I see P99 AS (been looking for a compact at a decent price for years now) I'd say hang on to it and get a G19, you can find one of those almost anywhere that has guns.

Now I guess if you can't have both, I'd probably hang on to it for at least a few months to make sure and then shoot them both side by side. You never know what you might find to be a good feature after getting used to handguns in general.

JMYoder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Plainfield
    After all my reading and research, I have looked for a P99 for 2 years. Last INDY 1500 looked at every both, asked every vendor. Not one in the whole show. Hang on to it, if you decide you don't like it sell it for a decent price!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    They are both great guns.
    The only thing is that you will more easily find parts, magazines, holsters and everything you need for a Glock than you will for the Walther.
    But I guess less people own a Walther P99, its a cool piece and its harder to find than a Glock 19.
    It depends if you need to get lots of extra mags for your gun, if you need a holster made just for the gun to carry it or not.
    Of course get both if you can. :D

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've got a P99 and had thought about trading or selling but just can't seem to let loose of her. The trigger started out as crap, went back to S&W, came back better but the more I shot it the better it got. It's one of my more accurate guns.

JSeroka

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I currently own a SW99 in .40, and it is a Smith & Wesson remake of the P99 for the most part. The frame is still stamped in Germany and the slide in the USA. I REALLY enjoy this pistol, and carry it almost everyday. In my own personally opinion I would pick this over the Glock any day. I have fired many Glocks and they are good pistols, but for my own preference and way of shooting I never miss with my SW99. And as my daily carry that is why I say...stick with the P99! :-D

Top Bottom