• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grimmis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2015
    New Haven
    I actually thought it was a really I interesting survival rifle. They had some very good points as to why you don't need more than one shot in a survival situation. And it's only a pound. Although in a self defense situation, I would rather have an AR7.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I like the concept of a very lightweight packable gun. Personally, I've got an H&R survivor 12ga that I've been experimenting with along with a Savage 42 takedown 22/410 combo. Personally, I think there's a lot of room for improvement based on what I see on the market that's available so I like to see people thinking outside the box like this particular rifle/fishing rod. I don't know that I particularly care enough for this particular setup to buy one myself, but I certainly wouldn't blame a guy for it either. Have you ever heard of the old "Bicycle guns" from way back in the day we 8yr old kids were more manly than most "men" are today. Very tiny, very lightlight, very minimal 22lr's, and exceptionally hard to find.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I think the design has some merits but at 425 dollars no way I would pay that much. I am not sure I would pay 125 for that thing. There are plenty of cheaper and better alternatives.

Just my :twocents:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Chiappa little badger can be had for less than half the price and has caliber options other than .22LR.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Chiappa little badger can be had for less than half the price and has caliber options other than .22LR.

The chiappa little badger is an accident waiting to happen. I have one, and when I handed it to a friend who happens to be an NRA Certified instructor, professional firearms trainer, lifelong shooter etc, he closed the action and the rifle put one right into the dirt.

Here is the video he made, and the rifle in the video is mine. The Chiappa little badger is a complete and utter piece of crap and it's a safety hazard to anyone around it. I sent mine back into the factory and when it came back it's got light primer strikes in addition to firing off a round when the action gets closed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MJfIZWzHp4

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    The chiappa little badger is an accident waiting to happen. I have one, and when I handed it to a friend who happens to be an NRA Certified instructor, professional firearms trainer, lifelong shooter etc, he closed the action and the rifle put one right into the dirt.

Here is the video he made, and the rifle in the video is mine. The Chiappa little badger is a complete and utter piece of crap and it's a safety hazard to anyone around it. I sent mine back into the factory and when it came back it's got light primer strikes in addition to firing off a round when the action gets closed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MJfIZWzHp4

:+1:Hair triggers, not safe!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Yes, that is the one and the only legend that is WETSU. The major design flaw in that rifle isn't a hair trigger, it's that if you manipulate the hammer in any way you could end up unknowingly putting some pressure on that firing pin. So if a guy picks up the rifle with it being unloaded, and decides to dry fire a couple times, or pulls the hammer back and decides not to shoot, then you've got a firing pin pressing against the cartridge ready just waiting for a bump for the rifle to fire negligently.

The scariest part of all this is that a single shot rifle like the little badge is very commonly used to show beginners how to safety use and handle firearms. There's nobody out there making a reasonably priced single shot lightweight 22lr rifle like the little badger and I honestly wanted to love that rifle so much, but instead it sits in the corner of my safe never to be used again. I certainly can't sell it in good faith to anyone, and I certainly can't count on sending it back to the factory when they don't care about it at all, period. All I can do is make sure that piece of junk never sees the light of day, and warn everyone I can of the dangers of this flawed design.

I wanted to love the little badger, I truly did, but it's a danger to be around, period.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Well darn. I suppose replace "little badger" with "Henry AR-7 survival rifle". Weighs a bit more, but it also is water resistant and has multi-shot capability.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is the pack rifle excels at very little except weight reduction, and I feel if a portable firearm for hiking is needed one could be better served with other firearms at a lesser price.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I've had two AR-7s - the original (circa 1972) and one I bought in 2010. Frankly, the takedown 10/22 is cheaper than the backpack survival rifle and close to the same price as the AR-7 - and is a better pack rifle than either, IMO. But if you want a compact, lightweight rifle for SHTF and you don't mind spending the money, the Kel-Tec Sub2000 fits into a paintball marker bag and will take the magazines of popular pistols.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I have all 3 - AR7, Sub 2000, 10/20 takedown.
    AR7 - Semi-auto! Aftermarket large capacity mags are not consistent - precision welding is required since the feed ramp is part of the mag. Spotty reliability (occasional stovepipes, light strikes), but light and waterproof. Some have plastic over steel barrels, some aluminum over steel. Plastic is lighter. The stock can break under too much stress, and the waterproofness will be lost. I have some by Charter, Survival and Henry - Henry is really the best. Older models have no optics capability without extensive work, and then won't pack with optics anyway. Henry holds two 8-rounders, the others only 1. Also have the Explorer II pistol that goes with it - I'd much rather have another MkII than that. Interesting to look at, not so much to shoot.
    Sub - 9 mm! Difficult cheek weld, somewhat awkward to learn to use. Heavier than the AR7, sinks, takes up more room, but 9 mm! The older model I have does not take optics, and wouldn't fold if it did. Don't know much about the newer model.
    10/20 - heaviest, most like what you've shot before, very reliable, takes up the most room if you use the pack that comes with it. If optics are chosen carefully it will still pack, with room for some 25-rounders. Can come with threaded barrel.

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    In addition to the rifles also being discussed, I'd also mention at least taking a look at the Marlin Papoose. It's a model 795 that's a takedown. I had one for a long time and while it was reliable, lightweight, and packed down well. I didn't really care for the sights. It became a problem for me after it'd been in the backseat of the truck packed in it's bag for a while and I'd get it out and find the rear sight had been knocked around. I liked the gun because the front and rear sight were on the barrel so the rifle would have that much better of a chance or repeatable accurate hits. Over time it just didn't work out so I ended up trading it in against something else.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Those youtube comments were harsh - everyone talking about not having any problems and Russ doesn't know what he's talking about. Until they have an ND.

Youtube is full of "experts" who run their mouths with little to no actual experience with what they're talking about. It's worth what people paid for it and I don't take everything on their as gospel. If the actual video of him showing how the rifle "sometimes" discharges on it's own isn't enough for some youtube experts comments, I don't know what else could be done to show the problem.

Grimmis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2015
    New Haven
    The little badger seemed a little sketchy to me. For $425 you could almost buy an AR7 and a 10/22 TD if you find the right deal. I think I'll stick with the AR7.

Wolffman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    I have a Henry AR7. It is a reasonable shot. I haven't done much with it other than target shoot. It is easy to get extra magazines. I also got a scope for it, which wouldn't pack very easily, but my wife can use it on her Henry lever action 22WMR. If you leave a magazine in the action, you can have a total of three magazines stored in the packed away rifle. The only questionable part is that it requires pretty specific ammo to function/cycle well. (You can search for the article. Someone did a nice writeup on various brands of ammo for AR7s, which worked best, and why.) I can kill squirrels and rabbits with a BB gun. So, I wouldn't be surprised if I could kill a coyote with one. I think I paid high $200s for it.

Top Bottom