Packing a firearm at the Family Reunion.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I carry everywhere/everyday. I've had to disarm once this year to go into the courthouse to get a marriage license. Hated it.

If my properly holstered firearm isn't welcome, I don't go. Most of my family is conservative. My wife has a bleeding heart liberal sister but we don't really deal with her. She's not even sensible.

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    I'm always carrying something.
    My oldest daughter is pretty left leaning but yesterday she really surprised me, she bought some furniture at IKEA and wanted to know if we could take my truck to pick up her stuff.
    I thought it would be nice spending time with her so I took her to dinner before we went. I was shocked when she said (Dad you do have a gun with you right) l was pretty proud and we actually talked about getting her some lessons and a carry permit.
    Dan

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I carried a "bbq gun" to a wedding last Fri night. I'm sure there were plenty of others carrying, nothing was mentioned but I know for sure because, coincidentally, the officiant of the vows happened to be carrying a Glock that he bought from me so...

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I'm always carrying something.
    My oldest daughter is pretty left leaning but yesterday she really surprised me, she bought some furniture at IKEA and wanted to know if we could take my truck to pick up her stuff.
    I thought it would be nice spending time with her so I took her to dinner before we went. I was shocked when she said (Dad you do have a gun with you right) l was pretty proud and we actually talked about getting her some lessons and a carry permit.
    Dan
    Good for her.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    One of my best friends wife was mennonite. When he made a visit to her sisters house the brother in law asked him if he was carrying, he said yes. BIL asked him to put it in his car. Surprisingly he did put it in the car. On the next visit the BIL asked him if that was a gun on his side. He raised his shirt to show him it was a cell phone. He did have an ankle holster with a G27 in it :):

Normally he wouldn’t go at all but he loves his wife and you know happy wife happy life.

I did crack me up on the last time when the BIL asked him if he was carrying a gun, he replied “Since you don’t like guns just rest assured that if we’re ever in public together and something bad happens I won’t use the scary gun to protect you or your family.” The BIL just had a blank dumb look on his face.

Then my buddy said “I’m sure you have already thought about such a situation and have a plan so good for you.” He said his BIL had a look on his face like he was trying figure out the square route of 9,675,547.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    We had our yearly family reunion today. As usual a lot of food, laughing, pictures and fun. What was different this year than past years reunions was over 50% of my family where packing a firearm. Usually 3 or 4 did. So what has the family up in arms so to speak?

Other than reminiscing, most of the talk was about the lawlessness and riots going on. What I seen today was amazing to say the least. My family is split about 50/50 Democrat and Republican a few libertarians mixed in. All were in agreement the lawlessness must be stopped by whatever means necessary. Which was surprising as well. Many of my die hard Democrat voting family members said they were voting for Trump this year.

I think if the election isn't rigged Trump wins big this election.

That said how many people pack a firearm to a family reunion?

I do.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Went to my aunts 80th birthday party yesterday. She and most of her friends/family are very “liberal”.
    Her best friend came up to me and said “I’m not sure what you call what you’re doing, “packing?”, I used to be scared when I’d see someone with one. These days I’m glad to see it and feel very safe being next to you.”
    We had a short, pleasant conversation. She actually thanked me for carrying.
    It was nice hearing that from an 80ish year old woman! Especially hearing how her views have changed in just the past couple years.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Went to my aunts 80th birthday party yesterday. She and most of her friends/family are very “liberal”.
    Her best friend came up to me and said “I’m not sure what you call what you’re doing, “packing?”, I used to be scared when I’d see someone with one. These days I’m glad to see it and feel very safe being next to you.”
    We had a short, pleasant conversation. She actually thanked me for carrying.
    It was nice hearing that from an 80ish year old woman! Especially hearing how her views have changed in just the past couple years.

I love hearing how people are starting to open up accepting our freedom to possess and carry a firearm. I think the opportunity to teach the sheep is upon us. The bad news is that supplies are limited. I would gladly give up some Ammo to train someone.

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    I live on a farm with my inlaws. They have 3 daughters. 3 of the 4 houses have guns. Im off work because of knees replacement. Im carrying every day all day and they all know it. Im the only one that carries on a regular basis. 4 of the 7 adults have ltch. When I go back to work I can't carry (5 of the 7 of us work at a school). I know ill feel off when I go back.

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    I have not carried at a family reunion before, but probably will at the next. A few of my uncles are usually always armed. I used to only carry occasionally when I felt I needed a little extra protection, but now I carry a lot more often. It just doesn't seem as safe out there any more.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I didn't have a family reunion. However, I did carry(concealed) just this morning while at church. Believe it or not, I was actually asked some time ago by my pastors wife to join with other men in the church who carry. I am glad to oblige. Ironically I carry a SA Hellcat in church.

Last edited:

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    I didn't have a family reunion. However, I did carry(concealed) just this morning while at church. Believe it or not, I was actually asked some time ago by my pastors wife to join with other men in the church who carry. I am glad to oblige.

We have several people now that carry at church every Sunday.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    We have several people now that carry at church every Sunday.

Same at our church. Our pastor actually advocates to be armed while in church. He prefers no long guns and would prefer concealed carry but open carry is fine with him as well. In all I'd say over 60% carry a firearm to church.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Same at our church. Our pastor actually advocates to be armed while in church. He prefers no long guns and would prefer concealed carry but open carry is fine with him as well. In all I'd say over 60% carry a firearm to church.

My Pastor stands in the pulpit every Sunday with a firearm on his side. He is also a Chaplin for the local Sheriffs Dept. I am head of the security team at my church (Don’t be too impressed there are only three of us) and we don’t specifically ask anyone to carry that’s not on the team and has qualified due to liability issues. We probably have 8-10 carrying on every Sunday.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My Pastor stands in the pulpit every Sunday with a firearm on his side. He is also a Chaplin for the local Sheriffs Dept. I am head of the security team at my church (Don’t be too impressed there are only three of us) and we don’t specifically ask anyone to carry that’s not on the team and has qualified due to liability issues. We probably have 8-10 carrying on every Sunday.

In Ohio its illegal to carry firearms to a church without the pastors permission. My youngest son was married in Youngstown,
    Ohio. We told him to get written permission from the pastor because his brothers, grandparents, and father would be packing to the wedding. Youngstown is basically lil Chicago.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    In Ohio its illegal to carry firearms to a church without the pastors permission. My youngest son was married in Youngstown,
    Ohio. We told him to get written permission from the pastor because his brothers, grandparents, and father would be packing to the wedding. Youngstown is basically lil Chicago.

No gun signs in Ohio are enforceable. They also are a duty to inform officers state. I talked to an officer in Ohio and he said he wouldn’t trespass someone for carrying in a posted restaurant or similar type of business unless they were drunk or being a jerk.

Top Bottom