• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StreetStrip01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Florida
    Found this while I was searching around for some pics, thoughts? From what I can gather, the kid is maybe 4 years old.

mu6u3ava.jpg

sy6yby9y.jpg

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Personally, I disagree with posting pics and advertising your kid using guns. I just don't think it's smart.

I have 3 kids, only 1 knows I have guns (the other two are 6 and 2) and the 6 year old isn't mature enough to handle that knowledge. I won't let them handle them WITHOUT going over the 4 rules. If they are too young to understand the rules, they are too young to handle the guns.

Nodnarb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Muncie
    I have a 6 year old and a 1.5 year old. My 6 year old knows not to touch the guns and that if he ever finds one to get an adult immediately. I keep my guns locked up and out of sight. Ammo and guns are stored separately and out of reach.

I have let my 6 year old shoot my my pellet guns and he has his own airsoft guns that he can shoot with supervision. He's very safety cautious and a great shot. :)

With so much anti-gun crap floating around I wouldn't be advertising anything on any social media outlet.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Teaching your kids about guns is a good thing if and when they are ready. Putting a very young child out there on the internet like that isn't really fair to them though IMHO. It could cause a number of problems, most likely involving schools.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    I've tested my 4 yr old like someone else did on a post I saw here. I set him up by placing a handgun (slidelock with no magaizine) near some of his toys and told him to pick the toys up. Each time he immediately stopped once he saw the gun and ran to me or my wife and told us. The gun was never out of my sight while doing this btw.

StreetStrip01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Florida
    I've tested my 4 yr old like someone else did on a post I saw here. I set him up by placing a handgun (slidelock with no magaizine) near some of his toys and told him to pick the toys up. Each time he immediately stopped once he saw the gun and ran to me or my wife and told us. The gun was never out of my sight while doing this btw.

Big difference doing that verses handing your kid a chambered .45

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Mine has had/shot guns since she was 2.

I am of the 'De-mystifing' guns mindset. I'll drop anything to let my daughter look in the safe or shoot a gun, but she knows never to touch them otherwise. She knows she can use them whenever she wants, so there is no draw to try to play with them otherwise.

She has known and practiced the rules since 2, albeit with some help at times.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka

I did that with all my kids at one point or another to see how they respond. This shows the weak links in my instruction and where i need to strengthen ideals with them.

The one that needs the most reminders is my 3 1/2 yr old. She picked the gun up (on her open palms like a server at a restaurant) and immediately brought it to me. She needs to be taught more not to touch them without asking.

My other 4 kids passed the test with flying colors.

My stuff is locked up if it's not on my hip (or my wife's) but the kids will all ask from time to time if they can see 'such and such' gun and I always ask them the safety rules as we walk to the safe for coonfingering.

My youngest daughter even knows the rules (summarized) into 2 basics. She always "don't point at anyone, and finger off the trigger".. at 3 1/2 yrs old, that's sufficient for now.

I do not worry about my kids and firearms. I post pictures of my kids with them (shooting or otherwise) as well as videos. I don't really care about the opinions of others (on social media sites).. it's me showing off the talent of my children and their accomplishments.

See the smile when he pulls the trigger on an AR for the first time ?? (he's 13).. THAT'S passion that won't be hidden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajJ6dwg7RtE

Check out my 10 yr old in this video shooting my full size M&P 9mm. He weighs about 60 pounds soaking wet and displays a textbook perfect manipulation.

This proves my training is followed and safety conscience:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKpaqSXthfY

Here he is shooting Repeter77's FN SCAR in Winamac. Watch his trigger finger discipline as he (little as he is) handles a weapon that's way too big for him. (He's only 9 in the following video. This was taken last September at one of the Meet n Shoots)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sru2-n33GAs

Here's my 13 yr old shooting the M&P 9mm as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y91HpdxcEkQ

I'll post whatever the hell I want on social media sites. I have enough evidence that me and my children are safety minded that anyone that believes otherwise can pound sand IMO.

:D

Last edited:

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    When my kids got curios I sat down with them and worked through real guns vs cartoon guns, and the feel of a real one vs the a play gun.

I never had a problem, My Brother and law and sister in law did the Hide the gun routine and the kids used every deviant behavior they knew to get at guns,

Pictures of kids handling guns on their own doesn't go very far with me but a picture of a parent working with the kids is the way to go.

I Say educate

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    Daddymikey I think it was you who I got the idea from.

My son has also shot bb guns and 22 rifles with help and he is still not there to be let do it on his own.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Daddymikey I think it was you who I got the idea from.

My son has also shot bb guns and 22 rifles with help and he is still not there to be let do it on his own.

Yeah. It was me that began that discussion. You don't know what weaknesses there are until you DO know.. I'd hate to find out the hard way. Testing in a safe and controlled environment worked for me.

YMMV

(I still love watching those boys shoot.. They're SUPER good at it.)

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co
    last summer my grandson and me were having our regular plinking session with our red ryders (hes 5)and a crack shot. grandma comes out just as he knocks over the last can. he leans the gun against the house says range is cold and goes to reset. grandma ask me what he said and i says ask him when he gets back. she ask him and he rolls his eyes an tells her no one is allowed down range when the range is hot, picks up the gun and loudly says the range is hot and goes to shootin.

mulsas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Westfield
    I like that test idea, I will have to remember that. My son and I have made some trips to the range with our 22, but I also have a small revolver locked up in a different place that he doesn't know about. Next time we go to the range, I was going to bring it as well. Maybe I will have to perform a little test first to see how he does.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My three year old knows 2 things right now: its Daddy's gun, and don't touch it. She got REALLY upset when we I set it (unloaded and slide back) on the coffee table ("DADDY! Put it away!" as she pointed at it from across the room.). She isn't afraid of it. She just didn't want to get in trouble for being near it upholstered. She has no issue snuggling up against me when it is holstered (that's just where it belongs).

She had a breakthrough with her attention span and "focus" this last month, so I'll likely start with the Eddie Eagle thing this summer. I want to to have some good rules to fall back on when I'm not there with her (don't touch, find an adult, etc...). If she continues doing well with instructions, we'll start the 4 rules and then some airsoft/bb guns (I want them for myself as well!).

What's nice is that we have already had this conversation with my tools (and power tools). So much will transfer over easily (don't touch unless daddy is there, finger off the trigger/button until you are ready, don't point at or hit anything unless you are working on it, never point your tools at a person (power tools, mostly), tools aren't toys, etc....). She is REALLY good out in the garage now, so I know she is paying attention.

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    My son is currently 4, and he has expressed curiosity about firearms sense he was 2. I started teaching him safety for his level of maturity. I kept it simple for him. Don't touch, get daddy or an adult.

Now that he's 4 he's shown more curiosity and maturity, I'm looking at more ways to get him involved in firearms and teach him the 4 rules. He's actually got them down pretty well.

A funny thing was the weekend before last I was at Gander Mountain looking at Camping gear. He got bored and wanted decided to take me over to the firearms counter and wanted to look at rifles.

I only have one issue with pictures of my son holding a firearm, I don't want to have to go into Illinois courts and explain why I have firearms around my son.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Found this while I was searching around for some pics, thoughts? From what I can gather, the kid is maybe 4 years old.

mu6u3ava.jpg

sy6yby9y.jpg

Assuming it's unloaded, he's pointing it in a safe direction (although it could be preferably muzzle up/down), and he is obviously keeping his finger off the trigger......where's the problem here?? :dunno:

My nephew could recite the safety rules by the time he was 2-3. Education needs to start with safety, demystifying, and safe handling as early as possible.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I have a picture of my 2 year old aiming my glock that is loaded with dummy rounds. It won't be posted anywhere but it is for my own personal memories, and will be passed to him when he gets older.

I see nothing wrong with letting a child see an inert but functional firearm in order to satisfy a little curiosity.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom