• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    My son is 16 months right now and I obviously have not taught him anything about guns. He has a Red Rider and a cap gun I think I will start him on.

I have one firearm at all times that is not locked up. During the day it is on my side and at night it is in the nightstand, once I wake up it goes back on my side. All the others are locked up at all times. I use to have 4 handguns hidden around the house till I had my son now I will not take a chance of him finding it.

Once he masters using toilet he has shown he has understanding of what I say and the consequences, it will be at that time I will start teaching him gun safety, starting with the Red Rider and a Cap gun six shooter he got for his first bday

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't get this whole mindset of, "if I teach my kid about guns then they'll never be tempted to ever play with them." Well, I should say I understand it, but it only goes so far. It's almost analogous to alcohol.

Kids are still kids and will always do stupid things. Training them in firearms at least instills in them the knowledge that you NEVER point a gun at someone or pull the trigger. But, it's not a panacea.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I don't get this whole mindset of, "if I teach my kid about guns then they'll never be tempted to ever play with them." Well, I should say I understand it, but it only goes so far. It's almost analogous to alcohol.

Kids are still kids and will always do stupid things. Training them in firearms at least instills in them the knowledge that you NEVER point a gun at someone or pull the trigger. But, it's not a panacea.

When I was probably 7 or 8 my best friend shot himself in the stomach with his dad's shotgun. He died. His dad was the type to have the guns hidden and it was a big secret.

As a father with 5 children at home, this makes me take pause, but also I can tell a difference between my kids (who are around and exposed to guns) and their friends. My kids KNOW not to touch my guns without asking. They know what to do if they encounter one someplace else. They are aware of how to clear a weapon and make it safe if need be. They are also aware of the safety rules and practice them regularly. I do not hide things from my kids and their behavior reflects this. Would I leave the house and leave my guns easily accessible ? Definitely not (BECAUSE they're kids) but I trust them to make right choices.

I can't speak for everyone. This is just my experience. At school, they practice fire drills. At home, I occasionally leave an unloaded gun out where it can be stumbled upon as a test. You don't know what your kids will do until you do.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City

Its not about them not "Playing" with them its about teaching them the proper way to handle as well as respect for the firearm.

When I was growing up I had great respect for all of my dads firearms, I was not really a good listener and quite the rebel but when it came to firearms I had learned such a respect for the firearms that I did not "Play" with them. I learned they were a tool, I learned not to play, I learned firearm responsibility. That is what is being taught.

Dustzilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Indy
    I have been teaching my 7 yr old daughter gun safety and answering any questions she has about them. I have also taught her it is nobody's business as to if we own guns because they keep us safe. The teaching is going pretty well because she told me the other day she makes sure she keeps her finger off the trigger of her squirt guns until she is ready to soak something. :rockwoot: Then she asked when she would get he first .22 rifle. She knows she has to prove she is ready before she gets to use them.

Top Bottom