• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Will you be at the 2A rally on February 8th?

• Total voters

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    :laugh: Oh if only we could! But seriously I am still strongly considering attending this little shindig... especially after the farce of the School corp's "safety" meeting.

It was funny watching the officer say, "We need to stop individuals before they come into the school and armed people will not do that." Really?!

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm debating on the event on the 23rd. I don't know if I want to go hang out with a bunch of hippies or not. It doesn't seem well organized, either.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I'm debating on the event on the 23rd. I don't know if I want to go hang out with a bunch of hippies or not. It doesn't seem well organized, either.

As am I... it seems they really want to "register" those carrying firearms... I told them that it was assinine to even consider it, as those that don't care if you know will be obvious, and those that don't want you to know won't register anyway. As well as the comments about breaking laws during the event... I've also gotten a message from a friend that stated that it may be a trap... not sure how it could be, but I'll get more info later on today.

The organizer seems rather argumentative on the FB page, not so sure this is a good place to go.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    If I wasn't going to the Polar Plunge that day I'd go down just see how it goes. Could be interested to say the least.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    If I wasn't going to the Polar Plunge that day I'd go down just see how it goes. Could be interested to say the least.

Yeah, I'm all for interesting, I just can't afford to end up arrested for someone's goofy idea of resisting... hmmm, I'll probably end up going either way, I mean it's 10 minutes from my house, and it's only for an hour....

Really, what's the worst that could happen, in the PRoB, in one hour, armed, at the courthouse? :)

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I can see this being the one that gets media coverage, something like "Even gun owners came to the anti gun rally to show their support for "Common sense" gun restrictions" would be the headlines and yes I used quotations inside of quotations

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    As am I... it seems they really want to "register" those carrying firearms... I told them that it was assinine to even consider it, as those that don't care if you know will be obvious, and those that don't want you to know won't register anyway. As well as the comments about breaking laws during the event... I've also gotten a message from a friend that stated that it may be a trap... not sure how it could be, but I'll get more info later on today.

The organizer seems rather argumentative on the FB page, not so sure this is a good place to go.
    I think I saw your comments on the page. I don't get the "resisting" comments/references either. I'm not going down there to break any laws, but am only intrigued because it may be an interesting event. I'd rather not drive from Indy just to waste my time because some dumbass tries to get us arrested for some reason.

I can see this being the one that gets media coverage, something like "Even gun owners came to the anti gun rally to show their support for "Common sense" gun restrictions" would be the headlines and yes I used quotations inside of quotations
    That's what happened when we showed up at the Million Mom's march...

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

Yep, I can see this happening.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County

TheUziButton

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    I have the f/2.8L II.
    I hope it is better than the f/2.8L MK1. I had the F4 first and heard everyone kept raving about the F2.8 version so I bought one and wasn’t impressed with it.

-The time that it takes to focus was slower than the F4,

-it was slower and more difficult to transition to various focal lengths due to the internal mass of the optics,

-marginal, if any, increased light gathering characteristics over the F4,

-IQ not as sharp as the F4, energy requirements were greater in order to focus, thus is sucked up batteries faster

-Hit and miss performance in servo focusing mode

I initially thought that I just had a bad copy of the F2.8 so I bought another. The new one performed identically. I mated both to a 40D and a 5D MkII and still the same regardless of the body. I am hoping they fixed all these issues with the f/2.8L MKII.

Interesting, the widest I have is on my 24-70 f/2.8 L
    I have that lens as well. I shoot most of my product shots with this one.

I have this one as well, excellent lens. I specifically love the halation.
    I agree. It is a very good bang for your buck as well.

Did you have all of them with you?
    Yes, I just put them in my coat pockets. Normally I keep camera kit in molle pouches on an HSGI Sure-Grip Padded Belt but that day it was too cold to keep unzipping my jacket to access the molle pouches.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I hope it is better than the f/2.8L MK1. I had the F4 first and heard everyone kept raving about the F2.8 version so I bought one and wasn’t impressed with it.
    I like it, but it's a hoss compared to the F/4. I do a lot of indoor/ambient light photography and more often than not they prefer I not use flash unless absolutely necessary (i.e. weddings in a church, etc) so the f/2.8 is big for me over f/4.

-The time that it takes to focus was slower than the F4,
    My 70-200 f/2.8 IS II is actually my fastest focusing lens. I'd almost describe it as 'lightning fast'.

-it was slower and more difficult to transition to various focal lengths due to the internal mass of the optics,
    It does have a bit of heft as the optics are substantially larger - but you don't drive a commercial airliner and complain that it doesn't handle like a cesna :).

-marginal, if any, increased light gathering characteristics over the F4,
    Theoretically it captures twice as much light just as f/2.0 would capture twice as much as 2.8 and 1.4 would capture twice as much as 2.0. That said, unless you're specifically working in low-light situations the differences between f/2.8 and f/4 are negligible as you'll often be closing down the aperture for good exposure anywhere that isn't dark.

-IQ not as sharp as the F4, energy requirements were greater in order to focus, thus is sucked up batteries faster
    I've no issues with image quality, but then again, I don't pixel peep. I would say it's better than my 24-70 but both are excellent imho.

-Hit and miss performance in servo focusing mode
    No issues with mine, but focusing was improved in version 2 as near as I understand it.

I initially thought that I just had a bad copy of the F2.8 so I bought another. The new one performed identically. I mated both to a 40D and a 5D MkII and still the same regardless of the body. I am hoping they fixed all these issues with the f/2.8L MKII.
    I've had no issues, used it for everything from weddings to sporting events :).

I have that lens as well. I shoot most of my product shots with this one.
    It's one of my favorites due to it's size/weight/IQ and good focal length coverage.

I agree. It is a very good bang for your buck as well.
    The only thing I wish is that it had at least a little weather sealing. If I were to buy the f/1.2 it would be for the weather sealing and not purely due to the optics or that it can do f/1.2. At 1.2 the depth of field would be so thin it would be, imho, unnecessarily difficult to work with. I'd probably not use it below 1.4.

Yes, I just put them in my coat pockets. Normally I keep camera kit in molle pouches on an HSGI Sure-Grip Padded Belt but that day it was too cold to keep unzipping my jacket to access the molle pouches.
    Very nice - I have a couple of nice camera bags but nothing that makes them easy to access. I'll have to look into the belt - what pouches are you using, by the same brand?

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I know it's way off topic, but I tried my hand at split toning myself, I like the results.

IMG_4807.jpg

Top Bottom