Peeps Fishing on your property, opinions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I have a drainage easement on the side of my house. Sewer and power easement in back. 14' wide for each. My property runs into it 7', dead center. An easement is NOT public. It gives utilities that paid/set up the easement access to the infrastructure. I work for a water/wastewater utility. We pay for easements from landowners and developers. It does NOT make it public. Some associations will have easements to ponds and common areas that ARE public. Check your survey. If you own it, you can fence it. Be aware that you may need to move the fence for the entity that has the easement and for them only. If anyone else wants to use their easement they have to pay for the right.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I had two random people in my backyard using the climbing wall and rope again last week. Idiots. I walked out there saying "nope, nope" and waving my arm away. They just turned around, grabbed their skateboards, and headed on. Not a word to me.

today I had a guy pull into the driveway on that lot and he and his son approached us on our lot. He asked if I owned that lot and when confirmed he asked if I had any plans for the big tree stump that was cut off but still in place from dead tree. He had been eying it for months. I said no, it's all his if he can lift it. I guess he makes things out of unique pieces of wood. He complimented my land, my dog, and his son played with my dog. I wanted them to use the climbing wall, rope, and zipline.

Life isn't hard.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I had two random people in my backyard using the climbing wall and rope again last week. Idiots. I walked out there saying "nope, nope" and waving my arm away. They just turned around, grabbed their skateboards, and headed on. Not a word to me.

today I had a guy pull into the driveway on that lot and he and his son approached us on our lot. He asked if I owned that lot and when confirmed he asked if I had any plans for the big tree stump that was cut off but still in place from dead tree. He had been eying it for months. I said no, it's all his if he can lift it. I guess he makes things out of unique pieces of wood. He complimented my land, my dog, and his son played with my dog. I wanted them to use the climbing wall, rope, and zipline.

Life isn't hard.

Isn't it amazing just how far some good old fashioned common courtesy can yield?
    Sadly, it's becoming uncommon courtesy these days.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    In these insane times legal action is a worry.

Very true, but here in Indiana, we have some pretty powerful defenses to actions like this...not that it keeps you from being sued in the first place.

Google 'Indiana Recreational Use Statute (IRUS)"

And a the only duty owed to a trespasser is the duty to refrain from willfully or wantonly injuring him, but, unfortunately, establishing who is a trespasser is a matter that can can require protracted litigation.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Very true, but here in Indiana, we have some pretty powerful defenses to actions like this...not that it keeps you from being sued in the first place.

Google 'Indiana Recreational Use Statute (IRUS)"

And a the only duty owed to a trespasser is the duty to refrain from willfully or wantonly injuring him, but, unfortunately, establishing who is a trespasser is a matter that can can require protracted litigation.

We have our property well posted as to Trespass and soliciting.
    They still come up and ring the bell/beat on the doors. When pointed to the signs they most always respond that they are not trespassing.
    I ask politely if I had invited or gave them permission to come onto my property. Most usually have the Deer in the Headlight look with no response but many say NO. My response is, then yes you are trespassing. Please leave.

A few have argued my point only to be herded out to the side walk. The rest decided to leave.

The concept of "Private" property is lost on the masses or so it seems.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Get a Big dog? I wanted to take a part of a cows leg and screw a shoe to the bottom of it and part of a pant leg from a pair of jeans and let our St . Bernard run thru the yard/field and that has a tendency to make people want to leave.. or if you carried it out to the pond mumbling . ZOMBIE homeowner!
    I had on guy come in and squirrel hunt with friends when I first moved on our property and ran them off.. now I am friends with him.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Come out in a pair of Speedo's, cowboy hat and a bottle of baby oil dancing to to the Village People's YMCA on a boom box.....They should run away....If they don't run and begin dancing as well then it may be time for you to run....

:)

[video=youtube;sWbqLjxgMzE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWbqLjxgMzE[/video]

SchwansManDan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2015
    Fort Wayne, or close
    alligator.jpg

Now I'm wondering how tough it would be to graft the workings of my RC boat to an alligator decoy.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    You up for a little work?

Pics of the offenders with trail cam. Then post wanted (for trespass) posters of offenders by where they fish.

Posting said posters around town might be considered too much....

Top Bottom