• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    The Crosman 2100B seems like a pretty good deal. It has a rifled barrel. I personally wouldn't shoot BB's out of it....not good for the rifling, not to mention at the velocities that rifle is capable of...some nasty ricochets. Don't shoot your eye out...like Ralphy.

Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The Crosman 2100B seems like a pretty good deal. It has a rifled barrel. I personally wouldn't shoot BB's out of it....not good for the rifling, not to mention at the velocities that rifle is capable of...some nasty ricochets. Don't shoot your eye out...like Ralphy.

Yeah, if he wants to shoot BBs, I'll send him out with the red ryder, his new one (what ever it ends up being) will be a dedicated pellet gun.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    All REALLY good info so far, thanks guys. I do have a question on the pump air rifles (having never owned one), does is have some kind of vent off if it's over pumped? I see the QB78 at midway is going for $100, and the 2100 is $77 with a scope (scope really isn't a selling point, several older ones here I could put on it). I'm partial to the QB78 just because I like bolt guns, but not having to buy CO2 cartridges is a good plus for the 2100... Anyone have an argument to swing me one way or the other?

The only pump airguns that vent off to prevent overpumping are the ones designed to take only a single pump.
    The Crosman 2100 is a more conventional pump gun designed to go from 1 to 10 pumps.
    Yes, you can pump beyond 10 pumps, but Crosman strongly recommends agains it because it can drastically wear out the pump mechanism, seals, and air chamber, plus (if you pump it to a ludicrous level) you could at least theoretically cause valve lock such that you can't shoot it, even as the air chamber is overpressurized.
    Just tell your boy to never go beyond ten pumps and he won't have any problems.
    Also, as someone alreadly posted above, while the 2100 is able to shoot both BBs and pellets, you're definitely better off with pellets, because the don't harm the rifling, you won't be as prone to get ricochets, you'll get better accuracy, and (if hunting) you'll get much better terminal ballistics performance.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Semi Off topic...

I just talked to a YouTuber from New Jersey who has a felony for possessing a pellet gun with out a license. :bs:

Last edited:

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    CMP store sells Daisy Avanti 853 for $100 , resealed and crono`ed , the sights and sling are not used they are new with all 6 front sight inserts, plus you can do a trigger job on them super easy, mine is a tack driver

I love mine, RWS hobby shoots very small groups out of it

Aaron

Bobkunz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2016
    Bean Blossom
    I am a fan of break-barrel style pellet rifles. I have used 10Pump but I find the pump and compression cylinder degrade at a faster rate than the break-barrel style.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Not a cheap option, but if you want an air rifle that performs at the highest levels and allows pinpoint accuracy, look into one of the high quality pre-charge pneumatics, especially the likes of the Benjamin Marauder or the AirForce Condor.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Here is a great place to shop. Lots of various products and reviews. I have bought a Walther Nighthawk and a select fire Broom Handled Mauser. The Night Hawk is a seriously accurate beer can popper. The Mauser replica...not so accurate, but the realistic blow back, set on full auto...it will make you giggle.

Air Guns and Airsoft Guns | Your Source for Air Guns and Air Gun Accessories

I have a pellet/bb range set up in the basement for the winter months.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I picked up a Ruger Blackhawk Elite a couple of years ago at Wallyworld. Less than 1 Ben, and it includes a 4x scope. With the 10 gr pellets I get groups around .5" at 25 yards from the bench, and can hit my 4" 50yd steel most of the time offhand. However, it does that some effort to cock and I don't see any way to mount a bipod because of the break barrel.

I got my Dad a Ruger .22 caliber similar to this to dispatch chipmunks (his arch enemies) for his 75th birthday. Great gun, very accurate.

Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I appreciate all the input, but I think we've lost track of the topic, or people just aren't reading... This is a christmas gift for my 11 yo son. :) Leaning heavily towards the Crossman 2100 that I link earlier, unless someone can talk me out of it and into something else.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Take a hard look at the Daisy Avanti 853. It doesn't shoot fast, but the accuracy will make the shooter the weakest link for a long time. I used one while training for matches in the National Guard.

1000%.

I earned a Distinguished Rifle badge in large part because of THOUSANDS of pellets through an 853 in the wee hours of the morning. It made me one of the best offhand shooters in a 2-3 state region, and it has been an enduring source of enjoyment for me.

I don't say that to be brash, I say it to point out to you that it is the accuracy of the little rifle, and a large number of carefully planned shots through it that count when it comes to accuracy, and those shots need to come from a rifle that will offer you NO quarter when it comes to excuses...it's on YOU.

Sure, it's only 1 shot at a time, and it only pumps once, but for sheer accuracy at 10 meters and under, there's almost no chance you've ever shot a rifle as accurate as it is; it is also quite capable to 25 yards.

We have tought kids as young as 9 years old with them, and they do quite well.

In light of the above, statements like this:

Nothing teaches ballistics, patience, and importance of shot placement like a 10 Pump Daisy.

...are completely untrue. Take that from me, a person shot many, many milk cartons and tins of BB's and pellets through 3 different Crosman and Daisy '10 pump' rifles. Sometimes I shot at 10 pumps, sometimes 12. Sometimes 1 BB, sometimes 3. They ARE durable and okay with neglect (although, much like revolvers, they do NOT tolerate abuse..lol!).

What theose kind of gunes are NOT is accurate. What they also do not do is teach single-shot discipline very well, and if you are interested in 'challenging [yourselves] by trying to get further and further out', then single regulated shots are what you need.

If you are CMP eligible, used rebuild 853s from NRA/CMP Jr. programs can be had at $114.95 to your door. I wouldn't hesitate at all:

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/air-rifles/sporter-air-rifles/

If you aren't CMP eligible, shoot me a PM, and I'll help you out.

-Nate

Last edited:

Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Sounds like a great gun, but could and 11 yo pump it on his own? I'll be with him while he's shooting, but it (knowing him as I do) it'll take a lot of the "fun factor" out of it if he needs to hand if off after each shot to pump it.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I appreciate all the input, but I think we've lost track of the topic, or people just aren't reading... This is a christmas gift for my 11 yo son. :) Leaning heavily towards the Crossman 2100 that I link earlier, unless someone can talk me out of it and into something else.

That's a great place to start.
    Yeah, he'll have to pump it each time he shoots, but it'll build up his muscles, and it'll teach him marksmanship with a rifle that uses much cheaper and more compact ammo than even .22 Long Rifle.
    By the time he gets his first ever actual firearm, he'll be driving tacks with it.
    ;)
    One last word of advice would be not to leave it pumped up very long, and he ought to get a little tube of the Crosman Pellgunoil to occasionally put on the felt wiper for the pump mechanism to ensure that the seals stay preserved.
    As for pellets, the cheapest and most available high quality pellet is the Crosman Premier roundnose or hollowpoint.
    There are higher quality pellets out there, and if you want to try a variety of pellets to find the one that shoots best in his rifle, there are sampler packs available to allow you try various manufacturers' pellets to find what's best.
    Some of the best pellets are made by H&N, RWS, Beeman, and (my personal favorite) JSB.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Sounds like a great gun, but could and 11 yo pump it on his own? I'll be with him while he's shooting, but it (knowing him as I do) it'll take a lot of the "fun factor" out of it if he needs to hand if off after each shot to pump it.

Yeah, he'll be fine.

I only had an 8 yo smaller boy, and about a 13 yo rather skinny girl have any problem. Both of them quickly figured out how to put the butt on their leg to pump it.

-Nate

Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    He's already shooting the 22LR that I have, this is just something he can shoot in the backyard to practice for when we do go to the range. This is him at 50 yards with the 22LR:

IMG_1739.jpg

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Not bad. It will be good to get him on targets at 10, 15, and 20 yards that are really SMALL. Good or bad, BB/pellet guns also have enough from between 10 and 25 yards that you need to develop some dope.

For reference, our 10-meter targets have a 0.5 mm 10-ring, and a 9-ring that is just big enough to put a pellet through.

-Nate

ETA: Only warning I'll issue is that if he starts shooting okay on the 10m or the 25-foot NRA targets, then he WILL pass you up. :):

Last edited:
    Top Bottom