• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Bloomington
    So i have been wondering what the penalty for illegally carrying an automatic knife is...I love autos, but i dont really carry them because i know that they are illegal to even own unless you are an officer, EMT, military personnel, ect.

I have heard that if you are caught with an auto then they supposedly take away your handgun license, then i have also heard that they confiscate your knife. What ACTUALLY happens if you are caught with an auto?

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    And they stopped issuing all the cool guy stuff, we get gerbers, but no auto benchmades, we get revisions instead of oakleys, etc, etc.
    pretty sure theres still a nsn number on those auto benchmades. our supply guy did some creative ordering and got us all one.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    tyler i figured for sure you would know what the penalty was...?

is it more serious than people think?

Here is the IC:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/the_cutting_edge/45001-indiana_knife_law_faq.html

IC 35-47-5-2
    Knife with blade that opens automatically or may be propelled
    Sec. 2. It is a Class B misdemeanor for a person to manufacture, possess, display, offer, sell, lend, give away, or purchase any knife with a blade that:
    (1) opens automatically; or
    (2) may be propelled;
    by hand pressure applied to a button, device containing gas, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.70-2000, SEC.2.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Bloomington
    Here is the IC:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/the_cutting_edge/45001-indiana_knife_law_faq.html

IC 35-47-5-2
    Knife with blade that opens automatically or may be propelled
    Sec. 2. It is a Class B misdemeanor for a person to manufacture, possess, display, offer, sell, lend, give away, or purchase any knife with a blade that:
    (1) opens automatically; or
    (2) may be propelled;
    by hand pressure applied to a button, device containing gas, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.70-2000, SEC.2.

Ok thanks, that helps with the punishment of the actual law, but i was wondering if anyone on here has ever been stopped or punished for carrying an auto. Is it something you can sort of "talk your way out of"? Would the cop let it slide, (like going 65 mph in a 55 mph)...i know it is obviosly more serious than that, but im just looking for opinions or stories on being caught with an auto. I definately wouldnt want to be caught with one, but i cant see a cop putting me in the back of his squad car headed downtown either. :dunno:

Haha, what do you guys think? :popcorn:

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    Ok thanks, that helps with the punishment of the actual law, but i was wondering if anyone on here has ever been stopped or punished for carrying an auto. Is it something you can sort of "talk your way out of"? Would the cop let it slide, (like going 65 mph in a 55 mph)...i know it is obviosly more serious than that, but im just looking for opinions or stories on being caught with an auto. I definately wouldnt want to be caught with one, but i cant see a cop putting me in the back of his squad car headed downtown either. :dunno:

Haha, what do you guys think? :popcorn:

i think i would refrain from carrying illegal weaponry.

ARdysfunction

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Indy West Side
    A long time ago I was pulled over for a traffic violation, when reaching for my registration the officer noticed I had a butterfly knife in the center console. He asked me to get out of the car and then searched it throughly. He also patted me down and removed my edc knife from my pocket. After running me in the system he came back and explained to me this was illegal... he then put the butterfly knife in his pocket gave me my folder back and let me go with out so much as a speeding ticket.

Not exactly what you were asking about but that is as close as I have. I consider myself lucky... it was a cheap knife.

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    A long time ago I was pulled over for a traffic violation, when reaching for my registration the officer noticed I had a butterfly knife in the center console. He asked me to get out of the car and then searched it throughly. He also patted me down and removed my edc knife from my pocket. After running me in the system he came back and explained to me this was illegal... he then put the butterfly knife in his pocket gave me my folder back and let me go with out so much as a speeding ticket.

Not exactly what you were asking about but that is as close as I have. I consider myself lucky... it was a cheap knife.

Butterfly knife is illegal???
    I don't get that one.
    Not an auto knife of any kind.

ARdysfunction

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Indy West Side
    At the time, the officer explained to me that although it was not an automatic, it was considered a martial arts weapon and still illegal under Indiana knife law.

I am not real sure either way, I am just glad that I did not go to jail!

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    At the time, the officer explained to me that although it was not an automatic, it was considered a martial arts weapon and still illegal under Indiana knife law.

I am not real sure either way, I am just glad that I did not go to jail!

I woulda made him prove it... then again I had a cop threaten to arrest me for "J walking" so I said go for it (he declined, i should note I was still respectful)... thought that one would look cool on my record :D I've got a pic of an auto I picked up in GA up on here I should probably take down so the ATF or DEA doesn't come kicking in the ol' apartment door.... to the OP... just don't man, is it really worth the trouble? there are many other ways to be more rebellious, that are way more legal. Don't push your luck with Barney... he still has that bullet in his pocket ya know...:draw:

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    there are many other ways to be more rebellious, that are way more legal.

:rockwoot:Like being a PITA when you get pulled over for driving at night and the cop trys to lecture you on "safe driving habits." (ya im still bitter about that one) :xmad:

Ahh well, life is to short to deal with PITA cops. Here in Pittsboro we have amazing LEOs. :yesway:

End slight distraction and back on track now.....

Auto knives just arnt worth it, cool but just not worth it.

P-Shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I used to work in the processing area of IPD, and I've seen more than a few people come through for possession of a knife with an automatic blade. However, a records clerk once told me that once upon a time she took such a knife off of one of her children, and then put it in her purse. One day she pulled it out to cut an apple in front of an officer who was waiting on a file to be pulled and he told her it was illegal to have that and confiscated it. She was not arrested. Bear in mind this woman was the visage of someone over 50 who had 6 children. So, while it's no guarantee that you would go to jail over a switchblade, it is a real possibility. There are several assisted openers that are probably just as fast as a auto, I personally like the SOG Spec Elite. They are far cheaper and won't saddle you with a criminal record if you get caught with one. My :twocents:

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    At the end of the day, they're illegal. Their "cool-factor" doesn't warrant breaking the law in my opinion. There are so many knives out there, carrying an automatic knife or butterfly (balisong) knife is not worth the trouble to me.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Bloomington
    After hearing all of your opinions, and listening to my conscience, i have realized that if it is illegal then why would i want to risk it?! I have carried an auto before, and the whole i had to make sure i was being extra careful where and when i was using it. I always had that thought in the back of my head "dont let anyone see you with this".

Also, i dont want that day to come where i actually have to use my knive for SD and the one i have on me be ILLEGAL! not only will the criminal who attacked me get arrested, i might get arrested too! Thats where i really changed my mind on carrying an auto....oh and the fact that picking up trash on the side of the highway just for carrying a knife doesnt sound fun to me.

Thanks for all the opinions though, that was what i was looking for. You guys made my mind up.

Top Bottom