• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fpdshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Fishers
    Butterfly knives were illegal. They were specifically mentioned by IC code, however that IC code was repealed about 5-7 years ago.

So yes they were illegal. Were being the important part of that statement.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Butterfly knives were illegal. They were specifically mentioned by IC code, however that IC code was repealed about 5-7 years ago.

Do you have a citation for that?

I've been practicing since '95 and do not recall such a statute.

I'll run a quick Westlaw search.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ran a quick search of statutes, case law and legislative history and came up with jack.

Anyone have a citation about this butterfly knife being illegal 5 to 7 years ago stuff???

I'll look again Monday.

fpdshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Fishers
    Kirk - I don't. I looked last night in the Indiana IC book and found several other statues that had been repealed, but nothing on butterfly knives. I'll look in some of my old books and see if I can find something. Give me a minute.

fpdshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Fishers
    If I remember right they were in the same section as "brass" knuckles, but I can't find that one either.

It may have been repealed ealier than 5-7 years ago...time kinda gets away from me on stuff like that!

ssgjason

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Southern IN
    I don't know if you guys resurrect threads or not (still the new guy)
    This is one law I would really like to see repealed and would not care if they put a restriction on it. Sometimes babysteps are all we have.
    I have a hard time understanding why I can carry a pistol but not an auto-opening knife.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    So i have been wondering what the penalty for illegally carrying an automatic knife is...I love autos, but i dont really carry them because i know that they are illegal to even own unless you are an officer, EMT, military personnel, ect.

I have heard that if you are caught with an auto then they supposedly take away your handgun license, then i have also heard that they confiscate your knife. What ACTUALLY happens if you are caught with an auto?

i carry a benchmade infidel and all of the police officers i have ran into though it was neat and didnt care

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Bloomington
    i carry a benchmade infidel and all of the police officers i have ran into though it was neat and didnt care

REALLY?? That is crazy! i never would have thought a police officer wouldnt care if he caught someone carrying an auto. That is cool though. But i just ordered my new Zero Tolerance 0350. So im gonna wait awhile before I get a new auto.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Do you have a citation for that?

I've been practicing since '95 and do not recall such a statute.

I'll run a quick Westlaw search.

Butterfly knives were specifically mentioned in Indiana code as being illegal, but I think it was back in my 1990 code book. I'll try and dig it out to give you the specifics.

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    Last gun show I went to had switch blades and butterfly knives.

And the last time I was down town there were prostitutes, the last time I was on the road people were speeding, the last time I was in a bar they were serving underage kids, and the last time time.... the list goes on and on, but it doesn't make any of it legal.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    They're not necessarily illegal to own...

But they're illegal to have in Indiana (with a few very narrow exceptions)

-J-

Yes, automatic knives are illegal in Indiana. There are no exceptions!!! Not for the po-po, not for EMTs, not for one-armed men who really killed the doctor's wife, not for anyone.

Since this thread has been bumped, I just have to.
    Kirk reread what he posted. They are not necessarily illegal to own. Even in Indiana. There are several states where it is legal to own and possess them. I could go to one of those states and legally purchase one and store it there, and then come back to IN. I would legally own it, and I wouldn't be breaking any laws.:D

Your an attorney you should be good at this kind of double speak and loopholes. :):

And as I understand it, there is one exception. Although it's not codified in the IC. That is possession of an issued auto by military personnel on base.
    :popcorn:

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Since this thread has been bumped, I just have to.
    Kirk reread what he posted. They are not necessarily illegal to own. Even in Indiana. There are several states where it is legal to own and possess them. I could go to one of those states and legally purchase one and store it there, and then come back to IN. I would legally own it, and I wouldn't be breaking any laws.:D

Your an attorney you should be good at this kind of double speak and loopholes. :):

And as I understand it, there is one exception. Although it's not codified in the IC. That is possession of an issued auto by military personnel on base.
    :popcorn:

Let me get this right you are saying it is not illegal to own an automatic knife in the state of Indiana..... This is new news to me. If you go to another state and buy an auto knife there and it is legal in that state it does automaticaly make it legal to own it here??
    The only thing or fact I agree with is the military ownership on a military base. But if I am wrong I would like to know for sure since this issue comes up at many shows.
    Let me tell you what a guy at this last Valpo show said to me. He asked if we had any auto knives and I replied with no sir they are illegal in this state. He told me I was wrong and for me to prove it to him. I said well no sir I have been selling knives for quites some time and if they were legal we would have them out on our tables for sale. dugh..... He then said that since he has a firearm LTC it gives him the right to carry an auto knife. I said you show me where your Indiana LTC tells you that you can carry the knife. Of course he coudl not produce it. I then had to involve Brad and then the guy backed down. That was the first for that one I will say.
    All I am saying is what I know and read on line says it not legal to own or carry an auto knife in this state. I have all the states listed and printed out as to the law in each state on this matter.
    Again if I am wrong please turn me on to the site you are getting this info.
    Thank you,
    Sheila

Last edited:
    Top Bottom