• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Let me get this right you are saying it is not illegal to own an automatic knife in the state of Indiana..... This is new news to me. If you go to another state and buy an auto knife there and it is legal in that state it does automaticaly make it legal to own it here??
    The only thing or fact I agree with is the military ownership on a military base. But if I am wrong I would like to know for sure since this issue comes up at many shows.
    Let me tell you what a guy at this last Valpo show said to me. He asked if we had any auto knives and I replied with no sir they are illegal in this state. He told me I was wrong and for me to prove it to him. I said well no sir I have been selling knives for quites some time and if they were legal we would have them out on our tables for sale. dugh..... He then said that since he has a firearm LTC it gives him the right to carry an auto knife. I said you show me where your Indiana LTC tells you that you can carry the knife. Of course he coudl not produce it. I then had to involve Brad and then the guy backed down. That was the first for that one I will say.
    All I am saying is what I know and read on line says it not legal to own or carry an auto knife in this state. I have all the states listed and printed out as to the law in each state on this matter.
    Again if I am please turn me on to the site you are getting this info.
    Thank you,
    Sheila

It’s a difference in owning vs possessing. If I own two homes, say one here and one in a state that allows auto knives. Tennessee maybe? I can own/possess/use/carry/fondle/sharpen, etc my auto knife when I am in Tennessee. When I come back to Indiana I have to leave the knife in Tennessee. I still own the knife, but I am not in possession of it while in Indiana. This is legal if I am reading the IC correctly.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    It’s a difference in owning vs possessing. If I own two homes, say one here and one in a state that allows auto knives. Tennessee maybe? I can own/possess/use/carry/fondle/sharpen, etc my auto knife when I am in Tennessee. When I come back to Indiana I have to leave the knife in Tennessee. I still own the knife, but I am not in possession of it while in Indiana. This is legal if I am reading the IC correctly.

Agreed. I was thinking he was saying just becasue it bought it in a state where it was legal that it would atuomatically make it legal here. Sorry for the confusion.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Agreed. I was thinking he was saying just becasue it bought it in a state where it was legal that it would atuomatically make it legal here. Sorry for the confusion.

NP, just wnated to be sure everyone was on the same page here. At least those of us that are all saying the same thing, just worded differently.:ingo:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    When I come back to Indiana I have to leave the knife in Tennessee.

Oh, my head, you guys.:D

Yes, unlike Texas law, Indiana law does not radiate out of its borders. Leave your knife in Tennessee, or wherever legal.

[radiating sound effect] *whaa, whaa, whaa, whaa*

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Oh, my head, you guys.:D

Yes, unlike Texas law, Indiana law does not radiate out of its borders. Leave your knife in Tennessee, or wherever legal.

[radiating sound effect] *whaa, whaa, whaa, whaa*

You are not telling me anything I do not already know.
    Your head try having mine during the shows and telling these guys that the knives are not legal here in this state. Geez.......:xmad:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Let me get this right you are saying it is not illegal to own an automatic knife in the state of Indiana
    Thank you,
    Sheila

Colt45er got it right. I was not saying it is legal to possess an auto knife in IN. Just poking some fun at Kirk.

You are not telling me anything I do not already know.
    Your head try having mine during the shows and telling these guys that the knives are not legal here in this state. Geez.......:xmad:

I understand a bit of what you go through. I've had to explain to a couple people gun laws. But I'm sure nowhere near what you go through doing it for a living.

But what about if it's not a knife but a auto "letter opener" :D I have heard of people selling unsharpened autos as those.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Colt45er got it right. I was not saying it is legal to possess an auto knife in IN. Just poking some fun at Kirk.

I understand a bit of what you go through. I've had to explain to a couple people gun laws. But I'm sure nowhere near what you go through doing it for a living.

But what about if it's not a knife but a auto "letter opener" :D I have heard of people selling unsharpened autos as those.

This question should be addressed to Que, our residential letter opener expert. :D

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I have seen a handful of people charged with possession of an auto knife but it was never the only charge they received, more like salt in the wound.

With the legality and availability of knives like Emerson's with the wave feature I've never understood the infatuation with autos other than being "forbidden fruit". I have yet to see anyone deploy an auto faster than I can get my Emerson out of my pocket with the blade open. It takes all of 10 minutes practice to be quicker from the pocket with an Emerson.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    With the legality and availability of knives like Emerson's with the wave feature I've never understood the infatuation with autos other than being "forbidden fruit".

So . . . not a movie fan then?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISU9ECTxMFQ]YouTube - The Blackboard Jungle(1955)_Trailer[/ame]

Sgt Stoner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Fishers
    And they stopped issuing all the cool guy stuff, we get gerbers, but no auto benchmades, we get revisions instead of oakleys, etc, etc.
    Are supply section just got the Auto Benchmades in... Probably since the units heading over seas.... but their still an issuable item.:rockwoot::patriot:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    What's going on with the resurrection of all these zombie threads lately? Have we really run out of everything to talk about?:dunno:

Rand60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    I thought there was a bill in the Indiana legislature this past year on auto knives. I thought there was an attempt to make them legal in Indiana. Seems like if they will issue a concealed carry permit, there should be a way to carry an auto knife legally. Why not allow those with a concealed carry permit carry auto knives. Wouldn't that be nice.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    There was a gun shop in Whiteland that got shut down because the owner sold an auto knife to a cop. lost FFL lost his livelihood. Not sure about Jail or a fine.

Revopop

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Evansville, the Shallow South
    Anybody ever see the episode of Upright Citizens Brigade with throwing stars? They were basically spoofing the whole gun control debate but with throwing stars. It was funny at the time, but it was even funnier when I moved to Indiana and discovered there was actually a place in the world where throwing stars were illegal. I can only hope that any of my potential enemies will bring throwing stars to the gunfight.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Carry a Tomahawk, or a Kurki fixed blade. Some sheeple will think you are lost from a scene of "Last of the Mohicans, or Gunga Din". Just no autos, or throwing stars!

Moccasins and/or buckskins not required.

Top Bottom