• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    i just read a -1 post in the private sales section where a member admits that he recorded phone calls to another member regarding their transaction. I personaly think its dirty business and it also happens to be illegal in Indiana without informing the other party you are recording them. so, just a reminder to people not to self incriminate yourself on the internet even if you may or may not be right. :twocents: I have no interest in taking a side in the dispute of their transaction itself.

EDIT: so i was wrong that its illegal. i still stand by the other things i said.

Last edited:

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    i just read a -1 post in the private sales section where a member admits that he recorded phone calls to another member regarding their transaction. I personaly think its dirty business and it also happens to be illegal in Indiana without informing the other party you are recording them. so, just a reminder to people not to self incriminate yourself on the internet even if you may or may not be right. :twocents: I have no interest in taking a side in the dispute of their transaction itself.

What's dirty about recording your own phone conversations? And no, it's not illegal!
    So what was the issue that the member felt he needed a recording for?

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    It's not illegal that I know of to record your own phone conversations. As some have already stated, Indiana is a 1 party state. However, the simple fact that someone was recording conversations for a private sale of a firearm reveals the fact that he was already anticipating trouble. If he went into the deal with that attitude, is it any surprise that it didnt turn out well for him? He should have backed out at the beginning.

GLOCKBOY

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    Don't know if it's legal but i would like to know if I was being recorded. If for some reason I was recording i would inform all involved.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Don't know if it's legal but i would like to know if I was being recorded. If for some reason I was recording i would inform all involved.

yeah it just compromises trust in my opinion. if someone feels like your being done wrong on a deal, just man up and say something to the person or just man up and step away before it gets to the point where you feel you need to go all inspector gadget on someones ass.

if indiana is just a one party state, then ok i was wrong on what the law was, but it still doesnt change my opinion of the matter.

video taping public servants or recording them is fine to me because they represent the state and you are gathering evidence to use in your defense if needed. but this crap with individuals? nah, its retarded IMO. just walk away.

Hotwired

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    I record every conversation with my ex-wife, but thats only to cover my own a$$ per instructions of my lawyer. I don't know about doing it on a personal transaction, I guess I would if I didn't trust the other party or the stakes were high or was worried that something would go wrong or feel threatened. On the other hand I would not put my self in that position if I don't feel comfortable making the meet.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    It's not illegal that I know of to record your own phone conversations. As some have already stated, Indiana is a 1 party state. However, the simple fact that someone was recording conversations for a private sale of a firearm reveals the fact that he was already anticipating trouble. If he went into the deal with that attitude, is it any surprise that it didnt turn out well for him? He should have backed out at the beginning.
    With the cheap and readily available digital storage and technology we have today, there is no reason a person shouldn't record conversations.

There are a multitude of benefits to recording a conversation, some have already been mentioned.

CYA, go back and review what was discussed, legal evidence, etc. There is no reason not to IMHO.

Also, addressing the fact that you think recording a conversation means the person was already expecting trouble, I disagree. I could say the fact that a person carries a firearm for self-defense means that they're expecting trouble, but I'd be lying. They carry because you can never predict what can happen, and it is a precaution to CYA.

video taping public servants or recording them is fine to me because they represent the state and you are gathering evidence to use in your defense if needed. but this crap with individuals? nah, its retarded IMO. just walk away.
    Why does it matter who it is though? You would record a public servant for litigation issues, why wouldn't you do that same with an individual? You can still end up in court with that individual, so why not have that recording JIC?

jeep911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    im not an expert but i know when my rents got divorced if they ever recorded their conversations they had to tell the other one they were doin it so they could use it in court and stuff. dont realy know why it was done but it was. people are crazy

deer hunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Indiana Wiretapping Law

Indiana's wiretapping law is a "one-party consent" law. Indiana makes it a crime to record a telephone conversation unless one party to the conversation consents. See Ind. Code § 35-33.5-1-5 and Ind. Code § 35-33.5-5-5. Therefore, you may record a telephone conversation if you are a party to the conversation or you get permission from one party to the conversation. That said, if you intend to record conversations involving people located in more than one state, you should play it safe and get the consent of all parties. In-person conversations do not appear to be covered by the law, but it cannot hurt to get consent before recording just in case.

Top Bottom