• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    From a newbie's perspective, I actually thought the range was incredibly nice.

Lars is right, it was $7.50 an hour per person with a 2 hour minimum. Annual memberships made it even more reasonable if you go there often -- $120 per person, $200 for two family members, or $250 for a whole family. You're restricted to 4 hours with a membership, but that should be enough time, shouldn't it? They have to charge something -- electricity and other overhead costs don't just pay for themselves, unfortunately.

The facilities were incredibly clean and well-maintained, considering the inclement weather. I think you all know by now that I'm a girlie girl and it wouldn't be a far stretch to imagine I really don't like being dirty -- I had no qualms about sitting on the floor of the shop, on the concrete outside, or on any of the picnic tables situated there. The womens' restroom was spotless, and I'm more finicky about that than anything else I can think of.

They offered free coffee and hot chocolate, although there was a box for donations.

As Clay mentioned, and you can see partially in the photos I took, there are clearly marked firing lines and safety lines. Cease fire and live fire times are clearly announced through a PA system and are strictly enforced.

They offer a "first shots" basic handgun class the fourth Saturday of every month. I don't remember the exact price, but it was under $100 for a 10 hour class. They just had a class that was sponsored by several gun and accessory manufacturers that offered a certification required by most other states to carry a gun -- and it was completely free.

Yes, it was loud; I jumped every time Clay's rifle was fired. The guy a few aisles down from us was even louder. But as previously mentioned, that is what hearing protection is for. I didn't notice any volume level restrictions, but there is a no-rapid-fire policy -- one second between shots.

And despite the fact that I really didn't much like the RO who spent more time yapping his mouth about his old Navy days (no disrespect to the Navy intended) and ooohing and ahhhing over every gun brought through the gate and seemed to think that making derogatory remarks about my friends directly to me that I would be ok with it, he really did keep a sharp eye out for the safety of the patrons there and made sure people were following the rules of the range, which is his job, right?

Honestly, I was more uncomfortable being around the group of kids that came in just as we were leaving than anything else for the three hours that we were there.

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Eastern In.
    ... Although the 1 shot per second would rule out any full auto excursions.

They're serious about that rule, too. My brother-in-law tried to go rapid fire with his Carbon-15 pistol and the RO politely put a firm foot down on that.
    All in all, it's a very nice range, now. Until they rebuilt it I quit going down there, it was down right dangerous around some of the idiots that used it.

Cactus Jack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Huntington
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cducati
    "Greedy"? How do you figure?
    Do you think that there's big money to be made from running a range?
    Its $14 an hour to shoot.

Actually I thought it was $7.50 an hour, with a two hour minimum. So $15 to shoot, but you get two hours for that.

I think Pami and I paid $30 total for 2 hours. I did like the range. I didn't see anything posted that made it look like suppressors weren't allowed. Although the 1 shot per second would rule out any full auto excursions.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. - George Orwell :wtf: The new range in Huntington looks just like that, It's $4.00 FOR ALL DAY!!!!!!!! If you leave just keep your receipt and you can come back in. It might be a little smaller, I think it has 45 stalls. I didn't know I it so good. RO's are great guys, And on the other side of the parking lot there is a trap range, You can bring your own thrower or you can rent a wobble thrower from them for $4.00 per 25 birds. I don't mean too rub it in, But damn $7.50 an hour, And you only shoot for two hours, That stinks.

cducati

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    You are corect.

I like the rigor of the rage office controlled fire.
    I'd love to have my own private rage where I could fire anything I choose to fire at any range. 100 yards is a limitation. I can **** that far :-) BUT it does offer an opertunity to shoot for groups whch has value. You can the focus on the basics, and strive for the smallest center to center groups. All my load developement has been done at this range.

I MAY have the chance to buy some land in southern IN for shooting.
    if that happens, I'd be open to inviting others out to shoot all sorts of toys.

At the public range, it's important that new shooters are directed as to the general saftey of all.

let's go shoot!!!!

HiRoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Indianapolis East
    Very nice pics, here's the link if anyone needs it Home
    also Eagle Creeks Eagle Creek Pistol Range

I must confess, in my youth, I often went to Atterbury range, It was a just as primative as anyone has described. An open field for skeet, a couple of dirt mounds for 25,50,100 yard shooting. We often drank beer before, during, and after. Using beer cans as clays and targets when we ran out. No DNR in sight, ever. Dangerous to say the least.
    As time goes by you realize how lucky you are to be alive and get some responsibility in your life. I find the remodel to be probably one of the nicest ranges I have ever been to. The staff, however is on the verge of being "bumbling" at best. I feel there should be a large discount for Indiana Fish and Game license holders as well as License to Carry Handgun holders. We, as residents, have paid alot in increased fees to hunt and fish thus paying for this beautiful place to practice.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    It looks as though you folks had a good time.

And although I would love to meet and shoot with you folks, I share the same sentiments as VUPDblue.

When Atterbury first re-opened, I was told all NFA guns/items were not welcome. Therefore, I will not be shooting there, as I find unsuppressed gunfire uncivilized.;)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Let's keep those heels down on the deck in prone, shooter!:ugh:

I have no problem with range fees. Reinforces the notion that you have to pay as you go and no one rides for free!

Thanks for the pics.:wavey:

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Let's keep those heels down on the deck in prone, shooter!:ugh:

That was my first time firing any rifle. Considering 3 of my first 5 rounds went through the same hole CDucati put in the target, I'm not going to complain.

Next project. Purchase a rifle of my own, and shoot lots. ;)

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    April 19-20!

Lars finally got me to shoot his AR-15 today!

att-pamiAR1b.jpg

att-pamiAR2.jpg

And this is our friend Jon, visiting from Chicago (poor him), who tried in vain to get me to hold the AR correctly and fire somewhere in the general vicinity of the targets in our lane. Which I did MUCH better than the guys in the next lane over who shot the concrete ceiling 7 times (poor them).
    att-jon1.jpg

More photos can be found in my gallery at:
    Photos from Atterbury

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I should have snapped a photo of that .22lr casing that lodged itself in the wood dividers at the pistol range...... ;)

Jon has about 1,000,000 more rounds down range through an M16/M4 than either Pami or I...... Although he did make a comment about "Iron Sights" and "Old eyes"

;) The last three days at the range have been fun.... Now it's time to relax.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I always enjoy the photos. Thanks for posting them up!

I'm glad you enjoy them. :D

What's funny is, we spent three days total at the range. The camera only came out for about five minutes during the three hours we were there today. I put about 400 rounds collectively through Lars' HK and S&W, Jon's HK (the 9mm USP), and my two Sigs. For the record, I still like my 226 the best. :)

Oh, and something else I learned today... Don't be on the business end of my Sig. I make the Zombies suffer by shooting off their ears and gouging out their throats.

Top Bottom