• ...and so much more!
  • flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    quote=TD12;74006]http://www.hooah4health.com/4you/APFT_Calendar.pdf[/quote]

Wow! Thank you for that link. I printed out 3 copies.

Unfortunately, at my age, weight, and length of "inactivity" I will have to add another box to the left of the first one (Walking/bike riding) and start a little slower.

(Wow! I rode my bicycle a whole 1/4 mile day before yesterday. :lmfao:) First time on a bike in SEVERAL years - had to learn all over again. Good thing there was no traffic - I was all over the road! :lmfao: :rolleyesedit:

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I am back from Brown County. I ran 8 miles up and down hills (looked like 7, until i got there and looked at the map). 4 miles away, turn, 4 miles back, full SHTF pack and weighted PVC tubing for my "rifle". Took me little over an hour (1 hour, 17 minutes) at a good half steam. I am tired as hell, thank god I took the day off from work. The plus side is the weather was absolutely amazing and dawn at the top of one of those massive hill lookouts is wonderful.

I highly suggest anyone go and run there at least once at dawn in their life.

Good Job!:cheers:

Here is my update, I finally got myself under 240 at 235 right now. I started to add some jogging into my routine slowly since it is hard on my knees. I walk about a quater mile then jog the next quater mile. So far so good, havent had any knee pain.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I am back from Brown County. I ran 8 miles up and down hills (looked like 7, until i got there and looked at the map). 4 miles away, turn, 4 miles back, full SHTF pack and weighted PVC tubing for my "rifle". Took me little over an hour (1 hour, 17 minutes) at a good half steam. I am tired as hell, thank god I took the day off from work. The plus side is the weather was absolutely amazing and dawn at the top of one of those massive hill lookouts is wonderful.

I highly suggest anyone go and run there at least once at dawn in their life.

That is FANTASTIC! I hope to one day get CLOSE to that, but I'm a realist. I'm 58yo and "grossly" overweight and have been inactive for too long - no muscle left. I have a LONG way to go to even get close.

But all you guys on this thread are an inspiration to me, and give me the incentive to do as much as possible, as quickly as possibly, to get back into some sort of decent shape.

THANK YOU ALL!

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I have actually started to work out. I have a free membership to a gym with our health insurance. So now i work out for 2 hours 3 days a week.

AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    Amen to all comments....it's all good. Weight training makes a BIG difference - if you spend an hour at the range and don't have strong forearms and wrists, at the end of that hour your groups will be bigger and/or in a different location than the X ring.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Good thread, I was almost to 300 pounds a couple of years ago, started working out and lost sixty pounds so far. Fell off the bandwagon and put some of it back on, but am now actively working out again.

Walking, jogging, bike and weight training is helping. Diet is the key. I run 2-3 miles off and on and play b-ball at work during lunch.

My goal is to run a 10K before the summer is over.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    Thanks for starting this guys, it's giving me the motivation i need. I'm in college not totally out of shape, but more out of shape than I want to be. 5'10" 165 I have a little belly fat I want to lose. I don't have the money to start a gym membership so I am planning on using my bodyweight to acomplish weight tranning (push-ups, sit-ups, lunges, etc...). I started riding my bike when the weather started to warm up but about 2 weeks ago the rear deraler broke:xmad: so I need to buy a new one, which runs into the money issue again. Either way I am going to wake up earlier and start off my day with push-ups, sit-ups, lunges, running, and anything else I can think of. Thanks for the motivation guys!!!

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Thanks for reviving this. I completed the 5-mile run I was training for last fall and finished third for my age group. :D

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    If anyone is interested in following the basic training pt regiment for 9 weeks and seeing what it can do for them let me know. At the end of BCT and AIT I had lost a lot of weight. Unfortunately I was not strong enough in my training to stick with it. Good news though, I am starting back up with it and going to hit it twice as hard.

I'm with ya. Just finished BCT AIT and Airborne only been home 10 days and feel outta shape already!

abnk - you are on a tougher regiment than the guys I know headed for special forces training... impressive

I ditched my normal buddies I work out with. I have a new partner...my rifle. Some exercises for you and your favorite rifle (straight from my favorite DS:drill:)...

The Over-head Rifle Press - Hold it over your head. Up and down at a steady pace. It’s pretty much common sense.

The Rifle Kiss - Start in a push up position with your rifle on top of your hands. Walk your legs up so you look like this (you can bend your knees slightly) ^ then do a "push-up" when you go down kiss your rifle, when you come up say "I love you"

The Rifle Assisted Push Up - Get in a push up position. Have a partner lay your rifle on your back barrel towards your feet. Then do regular or variations of push ups. The rifle on your back will force you to keep good posture and form and to control your speed making it more of a strain. Remember don't drop the rifle!!

The Forward Rifle Press - Stand just like the overhead press except hold the rifle on front of you by the barrel and stock. Thrust the rifle out from your chest and pull it back in keeping your arms parallel to the ground. There is also a variation where your keep your arms extend and simply lift the rifle over your head and then bring it back down parallel to the the ground.

The RiflePass - Stand the same as the rifle press, hold your rifle in one hand either by the slip ring (ar-15) or near the trigger guard with the barrel facing down. Extend both arms out in front of you keeping them parallel to the ground. Swing both arms out wide as if flapping your wings, when you bring your arms back to the center pass the rifle from one hand to the next. Continue until your shoulders are on fire.

And last but not least...
    The Rifle Press / Flutter Kick - Lay on your back rifle across your chest grasping the barrel and stock. Lift both legs 6 in. off the ground and begin "flutter" or "scissor" kicking. While kicking use your rifle like a bench press.

Good luck, hope you can find a good work out partner like I have!

-K

Last edited:

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I have been working out steadily since last november and I am trying my best to stay off insulin. When I started I was 5'11'' 292 I am now fluctuating between 275 and 280.
    I get up at 0330 4-6 days a week and I alternate between strength training and cardio,I mostly walk on the treadmill around 2.5-3.0 miles in 40 minutes. I hate running it hurts everything.
    Now that the weather is getting nicer I will start hiking and walking golf courses
    Keep it up everybody it definitly makes you feel better

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Started back to the gym today for the first time in a long time. Used to be pretty into it. 30 min run on the treadmill and then 30 min of dumbbells and machines for chest, shoulders and back.

Also understand that the cardio you get from running etc is different from combative cardio where every muscle in your body is being stress. Pain is weakness leaving the body.- George

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    , The YMCa 2-3 morning per week, Half Marathons about every 3-4 months (13.1 miles) and do a hike every other week with 30-60 lbs in the pack for 2-3- hours. This keeps me in shape to:

Hike at high elevations with a pack for days on end (Elk)
    Hike through heavy grass and rolling hills for days on end (Pheasant)
    Shoot very well after a 1 mile run all out, heart rate drops fast!

Training for a 50 Mile run this fall. Smoked for years, quit a few years ago and put on weight, then slowly ran off 60 lbs over a two year period.
    I'll always be an ex-smoker, and will never be an ex-runner.

Start slow, then taper!

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Dumbells and Tredmill at the firehouse. Farmwork at home....And I'm still a fatty!
    Guess those recovery drinks (milkshakes) and powerbars (icecream bars, candybars) aren't working!

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Hey guys. Just saw this thread down here and thought I would post a quick update on some things I have been doing that have had great results. I started the P90X training program late in January. It's a 90 day program and I have about 2-3 weeks left.

When I started I was 6'0" 280lbs or so. Today ~2.5 months later I'm 6'0" 232lbs. That's about 50lbs for those who are math deficient.
    biggrin.gif
    I could do 2 perfect form pushups when I started and now I can do at least 20, and in fact do over 100 during a 1 hour long chest and back workout. Major results in a very short time. I can do 4 chin-ups now, and can almost do a pull-up. Within a week I think I'll get it.

It includes a diet where you eat like crazy, but only the correct things. My wife is doing it with me and we have totally changed our way of life including both eating and exercise. We're working out 6 days a week with the 12 or so P90X workouts and following the diet that is included. It is NOT gimmicky and not anything crazy. I'm talking pushups, pullups, and getting your heart rate up. Almost no room needed, and very little equipment.

I'm not a P90X coach like lots of guys on various forums trying to get people to buy the product. I don't care if you buy it or not. I'm just reporting that it really works, and is still working for me. I plan on continuing for another round after it's over. I'll be happy to answer questions if you guys have any. http://www.P90X.com

EDIT: I forgot to add that it is extremely varied so it never gets boring. You do things like kenpo karate, plyometrics, standard cardio, abs, yoga, stretching, etc. Yoga is my favorite workout and I was close to 300 lbs and still am not flexible. Nothing gets me sweating more.

Top Bottom