• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    The Wild Animal sanctuary here in Colorado has made so many trips to Ohio to rescue neglected and abused animals it's almost unbelievable.
    This is not an isolated incident,it was just serious enough to get national attention.
    Don't believe me? go to there web site.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    LSU has a live tiger on campus. Treated better than most people. It (Mike) has about a 2 million dollar beautiful habitat. Mike also came from refuge in Indiana. They place him in front of the visito's locker room at home game and he roars on command.

Thats pretty cool, never heard about this. How did you find out about it?:rockwoot:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Wild animals belong in the wild. Certain municipal zoos and private parks might be an exception, but certainly that many exotic animals don't belong in private hands. The full story is that the nut who kept them had ongoing battles with authorities and kept "minimum" standards all along.

GPD177

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Very sad indeed. I wonder what they used to put them down? 5.56? If so it gives a counterpoint to the people who bash the AR in favor of AK as far as saying the 5.56 is ineffective.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Very sad indeed. I wonder what they used to put them down? 5.56? If so it gives a counterpoint to the people who bash the AR in favor of AK as far as saying the 5.56 is ineffective.

It was my understanding that many of them were put down with side arms initially. Not sure what they used to "hunt" them down, whether they stuck with handguns or if they brought out some rifles.

Bigjon07

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    I would guess that they were not using side arms. unless they were in a confined area. It woul depend on the animal they were putting down. You would not see me out there with a side arm hunting a lion or a leapord.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    They did say that most of them were killed by handguns during interviews that I saw on FNC.
    Zanesville Deputy Killed Charging Bear With One Shot, Seven Feet Away - ABC News

A Zanesville cop who was hunting down ferocious animals released by their owner came within just a few feet of being mauled by a charging bear, killing the animal with a single shot from his service revolver.

"The black bear turned in my direction and ran directly towards me," Merry told ABC News. "I fortunately was able to pull my duty pistol, fired one shot, killing the animal instantly. The black bear fell approximately fell seven feet in front of me."

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    It's too bad these animals had to die, but if I was the one walking through the woods looking for these tigers and bears, I would much rather have a gun than a tranquilizer. Those take a minute to take effect. Human life always trumps animal life.

Not always.

People shouldn't be allowed to have these types of animals it isn't right for the animals and it can turn dangerous for the rest of us,these species need to roam free they are not like dogs and house cats.

Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree with returning them all to the wild to be poached, shot during confrontation with a homeowner, or starve to death too.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    Not always.

Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree with returning them all to the wild to be poached, shot during confrontation with a homeowner, or starve to death too.

88gt do you realize that there are more tigers in captivity in the state of Texas alone than in the wild in all the world.
    And many of them starve to death in cages when the owners get tired of them or cannot afford to feed them any longer.
    Not trying to put anyone down just trying to enlighten.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Plus you have to understand most zoos are full and can not take anymore animals. That is why it is hard to find a home for a exotic animal anymore. Feeding and caring those animals are not cheap and most of them have a limited budget to work with.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Not always.

True, but let's be honest, police get a 911 call about lions, tigers, and bears being released and roaming around. Surely doesnt one doesnt expect them to wait around while the proper tranqs (and accompanying weapons) are found and distributed right?

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I thought that I heard on the news this a.m. that the animals went back to the guy's wife. The rest were buried on the property.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    88gt do you realize that there are more tigers in captivity in the state of Texas alone than in the wild in all the world.
    And many of them starve to death in cages when the owners get tired of them or cannot afford to feed them any longer.
    Not trying to put anyone down just trying to enlighten.

IOW, just trying to tell the person you think is ignorant on the subject that she doesn't know what she's talking about???????? :):

Even if we assume for the sake of argument that your statement is factual, what does it prove?

True, but let's be honest, police get a 911 call about lions, tigers, and bears being released and roaming around. Surely doesnt one doesnt expect them to wait around while the proper tranqs (and accompanying weapons) are found and distributed right?

No, one doesn't, and I made no such insinuation to that effect either. But having watched the vet administer treatment to the cat beaten with a baseball bat sorta kinda makes one a little more sympathetic to the animals than the humans at times. And I would have willingly let the douche who did that to the cat die a slow painful death if I had to choose between him and the cat.

Top Bottom