• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Picked it up Thursday from Beech Grove Firearms, (they raised their transfer fee from $15 to $25 by the way) and then I tried to shoot it early Friday morning at MCFG, but it would not strike the primer with enough force to shoot a single round, just click, click, click, no fire:noway:.

Not sure if the wrong Firing Pin spring was installed or if the firing pin hole was not machined correctly or what, my suspicion ios that the hole for the pin is out of tolerance***,but anyway I called STI and they said to send it back UPS Red on their dime

It was toss up for me to get another Kimber or the STI, I'm sure they will make it right, but for a $1100 pistol to not fire out of the box, was very disappointing to say the least. :dunno:

That does suck, I am sure they will make it right but for that kind of money you would expect it to run out of the box. I would be frustrated as well, did they give you an estimate on turn around time?

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    That does suck, I am sure they will make it right but for that kind of money you would expect it to run out of the box. I would be frustrated as well, did they give you an estimate on turn around time?

They just said they would turn it around"asap", I was amped for Friday Night Steel but I'm glad I found out before hand,

it will give me some time to track down a Magwell for it,,..

acelungger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    LLD,
    i do like the looks of your Trogan, and please take no offense, but isn't that there entry level 1911??:dunno: I love 1911's:rockwoot:I have owned a bunch and I own 5 right now, my new frame from Caspain should be in Wensday and i will start to work oin it. Sorry!
    The reason I ask is I have seen some of STI that were allmost $3000.00:draw: way out of my budget! I have a friend that is a Gun Smith, he is so picky that he has a hard time making a living :(. he told me the other day that he got to go out with police dept that he does all there gun work, one of the officers had bought a Top Line STI and my friend said if he didn't know better, he would sware that the slide was gliding on ball bearing!! I have never heard him say anything good about anyones 1911 other than his and the ones he builds.
    Greg

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    LLD,
    i do like the looks of your Trogan, and please take no offense, but isn't that there entry level 1911??:

Probably is their entry level if you exclude the Spartan, but that does not constitute a non functional piece at any price, I think Q.C. was having a Siesta:laugh:

STI Spartan – This is STI’s “entry level” 1911, available in .45 ACP or 9mm. The STI Spartan features STI’s BoMar style adjustable rear sight and a fiber optic front sight, making it the winner in terms of “quality sights out of the box”. The Spartan’s slide, frame and barrel are all made by Armscor, and the gun’s internals and other parts are all STI parts. This gives you a 1911 full of reliable internal parts for a fraction of the price of the STI Trojan. Retailing for right around $650, the Spartan is also backed by STI’s excellent customer service, which is another point in its favor. Also, most aftermarket parts will fit the STI Spartan, including magwells, which are basically required to be competitive in IDPA and USPSA.

Last edited:

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    STI says..........The problem you where experiencing is called primer flow it was caused by a firing pin that was under spec on the overall length.

Should have it back by Friday

doublebarrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 26, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    What's the next 9mm 1911 down from this price level? Say, between the Trojan and the Rock Island. I couldn't find one from Colt (except the compact Defender or what they call it). I can only think of one, Taurus. But like to know if there are other makers that produce semi-expensive 1911 in 9mm...

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    STI says..........The problem you where experiencing is called primer flow it was caused by a firing pin that was under spec on the overall length.

Should have it back by Friday

I'm not a gunsmith but it seems like the problem should be called " out of spec firing pin", not primer flow :D

Good to hear it will be back home soon.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    I'm not a gunsmith but it seems like the problem should be called " out of spec firing pin", not primer flow :D

Good to hear it will be back home soon.

lon, i'm with you***,:yesway: I think its hi-tec mumbo jumbo,

fact = primer would not fire
    fact = firing pin would NOT perform its intended purpose

bigjross2002

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    I have wanted to buy an STI for some time. Do that stack up well with Kimber? It seems STI offers alot of value when compared to other guns in the same price range.

Top Bottom