• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Congratulations on your first firearm! I also commend you for recognizing your duty to your family. You are right, you are responsible for your son's safety. Get a lifetime license to carry if you have not already. Whether you chose to carry at any particular time or not, you will still have the option to do so legally. I like having options and I like good people to have options, especially when it comes to the protection of their loved ones.

I look forward to reading more range reports. That looks like a really nice gun. I don't have a .38 or .357...I'm jealous.

FFJakeT

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    SP101 is a very good choice and a responsible one at that. They are very rugged and reliable guns. If this is the only handgun you ever own (and I hope it isn't) then it is one that will serve you well.

1) Invest in some good .38 +P defense ammo. I would recommend the Speer 135 grain short barrel loads if you can find them.

2) Both you and your wife should take a training class together. There are several opportunities for classes in Indiana.

3) Practice regularly and if your wife is going to use the gun take her along.

4) Buy a small gun vault or other means to lock the gun up. But remember it still needs to be accessible.

Vert, just curious. Why do you say .38 +p over a .357 HD round or similar. Just curious.

FFJakeT

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    A buddy has one used that I am very tempted to buy off of him. I really like the gun. Congrats. and you picked a great gun!

SmotPoker1986

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Knox
    Nice pistol, can't go wrong with a ruger. Welcome to the club, you are now hooked and don't know it yet, but they do seem to multiply lol

eurobeaner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    A buddy has one used that I am very tempted to buy off of him. I really like the gun. Congrats. and you picked a great gun!

If you do not buy.... Have him sell it to me! Haha.

I'm already looking at grips, sights, and speed loaders. Man, Gemini customs has a tempting package for $399 I think. Almost worth it. Looks so good afterwards. Just crazy to spend $400 on a gun I spent $400 on. Lol

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI

I'm already looking at grips, sights, and speed loaders. Man, Gemini customs has a tempting package for $399 I think. Almost worth it. Looks so good afterwards. Just crazy to spend $400 on a gun I spent $400 on. Lol

And it has started! :laugh:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Learn to run that baby before tricking it out! For speed loaders an HKS size 36 should work. They are common and sell for about $12 apiece. Some people like the rubber speed strips because they are flat and are easier to carry. But for HD the HKS are fast and easy. I think you can replace the front sight. But to be honest I would buy a good flashlight. If you need one in the home it will likely be dark.

So small safe for the gun a couple speed loaders and a high intensity handheld light.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Vert, just curious. Why do you say .38 +p over a .357 HD round or similar. Just curious.

I think the recoil and muzzle flash are a poor trade off for the amount of power gained in a short barrel gun. I do like the ability to shoot. 357 for vesatility but I think the round is wasted in a sub 3 inch barrel gun.

Top Bottom