• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Maybe the LEO is working in a jurisdiction where the Procecutor has a very broad definition of 'operating a vehicle'? More then likely the LEO is misinformed

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Maybe the LEO is working in a jurisdiction where the Procecutor has a very broad definition of 'operating a vehicle'? More then likely the LEO is misinformed

The "in the car" part is pretty well defined.

possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being
    operated by the person to transport another person to or from
    a school or a school function.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    The way this has been written -

"(B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being
    "

Has always meant to me that the only one in the car that can be armed is the driver.
    So all the other licensed passengers need to throw all there guns in the driver's lap as they enter the school grounds.
    Pick-up or drop-off the kids, leave the property then the driver gets to pass out the pile of guns.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    No offense to LEOs, but I wouldn't ask them what a law exactly states. If I'm that concerned about it I'll look up the law myself. More often than not, a LEO will just give you misinformation because they don't actually know what the law says. If you ever got busted walking onto school property with a gun on you. The defense of, "Officer So&So said it was okay," will not help you in the least. Ignorance of the law does not exempt you from repercussions of breaking it. Always do your own research.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    No offense to LEOs, but I wouldn't ask them what a law exactly states. If I'm that concerned about it I'll look up the law myself. More often than not, a LEO will just give you misinformation because they don't actually know what the law says. If you ever got busted walking onto school property with a gun on you. The defense of, "Officer So&So said it was okay," will not help you in the least. Ignorance of the law does not exempt you from repercussions of breaking it. Always do your own research.

And if I ever need to know the gist of the Castle Doctrine I ask a misinformed gun owner because the "I'm shooting him as soon as he sets foot on my property" stories are always entertaining.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    And if I ever need to know the gist of the Castle Doctrine I ask a misinformed gun owner because the "I'm shooting him as soon as he sets foot on my property" stories are always entertaining.
    Yup. As I said, do your own research. Basing such large decisions off of what someone else says, regardless of occupation, is not a wise move.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Good job on taking the high road on the TROLLING.

I think the incessant "cop bashing" on this forum has our resident officers quick to defend. I don't believe that is what Nate was doing by any means, but I can see how Frank might have sensed it could go in that direction.

BTW, isn't accusing someone of "trolling" to get a reaction out of them a form of "trolling" in and of itself?

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being

Always good to revisit... For some bizarre reason, I thought it specified pickup/dropping off children. Good to know, wife being a school teacher and all. Just yesterday I was going through this, when figuring out how to pick her up from a school event.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I think the incessant "cop bashing" on this forum has our resident officers quick to defend. I don't believe that is what Nate was doing by any means, but I can see how Frank might have sensed it could go in that direction.

BTW, isn't accusing someone of "trolling" to get a reaction out of them a form of "trolling" in and of itself?
    I did not see any cop bashing I this thread. All I saw was what we all know about PEOPLE interpreting the laws.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Now... am I legal to exit my vehicle and walk up to the entrance to get my kid who is waiting outside the school in line....(I was surprised at the Leo's reply)

what you must do OP: drive to the entrance in your vehicle. Drive on the sidewalk, do whatever you have to do, you have to be operating a vehicle to be legal. Apply purple where you want.

Top Bottom