• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The gun matters, but in this case it's more about the load. rvb is using a powder that burns fast, so the bullet is still in the barrel of his carbine and actually slowing down because the net force applied by friction exceeds the force exerted by the gas flow behind the bullet for the last few inches before it exits.

Guy who told me this is a mutual friend of ours and was reloading titegroup. 4 grains for Pistol. He tried backing off in the carbine to reduce the recoil in the blowback action carbine. Pretty sure it is a 16" gun but is might be a little shorter.

I follow what you are saying with the TiteGroup being a fast powder. I have a bottle of powerpistol on the shelf and have been thinking that would make for some nice full power 9mm carbine loads.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    I'm still really wanting a PCB,....pistol caliber bullpup. Don't particularly care what caliber as long as I can weld on a suppressor to maintain 16"/26"OAL for a one-stamp gun.

Already have AR9's and Kel Tecs. Thinking now about a Mech Tech. With complete Glock frames available for around $125 I don't think I'd bother swapping from pistol to carbine,.....just dedicate a lower to the carbine.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    My 9mm PCC and his .223 sibling...

image_zps4hfoorej.jpeg

image_zpso1z297wd.jpeg

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You won't get much extra velocity from a 16" barrel.

Also, the weight of the projectile doesn't really matter. It's going slow and loses speed quickly because a 9mm bullet has a lot more drag than a bullet designed for a centerfire rifle. The slower it goes, the longer it takes to go 300 yards. The longer it takes, the farther the bullet will drop.

Just a side note related to this comment...

While not 300, at 150 a 147gr out of a PCC doesnt have much drop compared to my rifles. I expected more actually.

I stopped by Proteq on my way home and broke out my PCC I had in my back seat. (I should have run the two scenarios with it after class in hindsight)

On a whim I decided to try ringing the steel with some 147s I had in my ammo box. Minimal holdover, which surprised me. I could hold at the top of the 10" square and ring it consistently. I was able to hit the steel twice by holding center. I just now remembered this thread and decided to post up. I didnt think about digging into my 115s or 124s to see if there was a difference. I just know that a man sized object does NOT want to be 150 yards away from my PCC if its up to no good because it is combat effective at that range. (and I'm only a mediocre shot)

Great. Now I have to go to Bobcat and get more bullets and powder to play. THANKS INGO :xmad:

Slonsteady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Plainfield
    Using my Nikon spot on calculator and the best ammo available Speer Lawman I got 28 inches of drop at 150 yards with 147 gr RN. Using some hot 115 gr I still got 20 inches of drop at 150. My real life shooting yielded similar performance at 120 yards, about 8 to 10 holdover for that distance. Basically fire for suppression at 150, prepare for bombardment.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Using my Nikon spot on calculator and the best ammo available Speer Lawman I got 28 inches of drop at 150 yards with 147 gr RN. Using some hot 115 gr I still got 20 inches of drop at 150. My real life shooting yielded similar performance at 120 yards, about 8 to 10 holdover for that distance. Basically fire for suppression at 150, prepare for bombardment.

Just curious, what kind of velocities were you getting?

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I wish I could find them that low in price. Everywhere I've seen them they're priced like an AR15 which makes absolutely no sense.

this may be the wrong place but I can order BNIB CX4 and sell for $625.00 Plus tax if your interested....Just sayin

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Wow, nice pair of PCCs! Which platform do you like the best?

Thank you. But the bottom one is just a "C", not a "PCC" (it's a .223 AR).

I think overall I like the 223 version better only because of it's versatility (can easily engage 300yds+) and it shoots flatter/faster.

However, I prefer the lighter weight of the 9mm PCC version. It's lighter due to the lighter can, 1" shorter barrel, lack of gas system, and lack of other add-ons like light and BU sights (also didn't install dust cover or FA). The balance point is clear back at the mag release w/o the can.

The downsides to the PCC version is it's really not useful past 100 yds and I wish I had a QD setup for the can (using a bored-out 223 A2 flash hider as a thread protector; need a tool to remove).

The 9mm will probably get shot a lot more than the 223 version due to use in USPSA matches. That has largely removed any remaining desire to 3-gun (though I'll miss longer-range shots you -sometimes- get in 3-gun).

/endreview

-rvb

Last edited:

WWalker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Since I started reading this thread the other day, got me thinking about my Camp 9. Replaced the buffer and recoil spring today that i had laying around for awhile

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Reading over this thread again has made me realize 2 things about my PCC in the pic below.....

1. I need to get my PCC out of the safe and get some rounds through it..

2. Most importantly.. I need to get a can for said PCC :ar15:

9mm_SBR.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I have an Old Hi Point 9mm in an ATI Stock with a Camo Paint Job. I have under $300.00 in it. It will Digest any Ammo its fed. I've never had a FTF or FTE with it. It's the Grandkids Weapon of Choice. I forgot to mention the Life Time Warranty. The new ones come in 9mm, .40 and .45ACP Prices start around $300.00

I pick up a 9mm High point at Cabella's for just over $200. I also picked up a JR for more than 2Xs. I have not had a failure with my Hi Point no matter what i shot. I sent my JR back several times for many failure.

Top Bottom