• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Anonymous

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    You keep on living in the dark ages and believing the old myth's and not keeping up on tech specs. Because most plasma's are rated at 80,000 to 100,000 hours.
    No dark ages here! If I didn't have 3 windows shining on my TV I would have ended up with plasma. With an inherent 600Hz refresh rate, and the ability to eliminate burn-in, it's a pretty easy choice.

I was just being a smart-a$$

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    No dark ages here! If I didn't have 3 windows shining on my TV I would have ended up with plasma. With an inherent 600Hz refresh rate, and the ability to eliminate burn-in, it's a pretty easy choice.

I was just being a smart-a$$

Most new plasmas have anti glare screens these days too. I have a 50" plasma in my living room that has two big windows, butts up to the kitchen that has a sliding glass door and a window. The entry way is also right to the left and has windows in the door and next to it. I have no issues with glare or even with the screen being washed out.

I do get a hint of image retention if I watch ESPN or football games all day, but my samsung has a scrolling screen that cleans everything up. When I am done watching TV, I just set the sleep timer to 30 minutes and run the rolling cleanup screen. I know its overkill but the TV is going on 5-6 years old and still looks as good as new.

I also have a Sony LCD in the bedroom. Got it cheap on an after t-day sale. It looks great too, but put them on the same channel in HD and there is a difference even with the Sony being 1080p and the plasma being 720p.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    well after reading this thread and being out of date or not knowing about plasmas and reading the links provided and others i was confident that plasma doesnt have the issues i thought they did and bought one.

i will not say its better then my led tv, but i will say its equal. the only way i will say its better then my led is that it is 42" where the led is a 32". only thing is its screen shows glare fairly bad, but its in a dark room so i dont really notice it at all.

Anonymous

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    Most new plasmas have anti glare screens these days too. I have a 50" plasma in my living room that has two big windows, butts up to the kitchen that has a sliding glass door and a window. The entry way is also right to the left and has windows in the door and next to it. I have no issues with glare or even with the screen being washed out.

I do get a hint of image retention if I watch ESPN or football games all day, but my samsung has a scrolling screen that cleans everything up. When I am done watching TV, I just set the sleep timer to 30 minutes and run the rolling cleanup screen. I know its overkill but the TV is going on 5-6 years old and still looks as good as new.

I also have a Sony LCD in the bedroom. Got it cheap on an after t-day sale. It looks great too, but put them on the same channel in HD and there is a difference even with the Sony being 1080p and the plasma being 720p.

I guess I didn't realize the Plasma's had the anti-reflective screens. I guess I was so impressed with my first LCD's virtually no-glare screen, that I couldn't have been convinced otherwise.

What size is your 720p? I've read/heard that under 32", 1080p doesn't really help, which makes sense to me.

IIRC, DLP was the only TV that suffered from the low viewing angle, so I don't think that comes into play in the LCD vs. Plasma debate.

FWIW - I have a 55" LG LCD, and it has a phenomenal picture.:twocents:

AppleBonker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    Valpo
    I've read/heard that under 32", 1080p doesn't really help, which makes sense to me.

It's not the size so much as the distance. There is a limited enough angle that your eyes can resolve. If you sit close enough to a 32" tv, 1920x1080 resolution would be worth it. However, most people don't sit this close. For example, I sit about 8 feet from a 65" tv and still cannot resolve pixels. I'd have to be about 6-6.5 feet away for that to happen. After about 14-16 feet on my 65" tv, I physically cannot resolve the difference between 1280x720 and 1920x1080. If I were to permanently sit that far away, I would be wasting money going with 1080p. Though, I doubt I'd be able to find a tv that large with only 720 resolution.

Also, think about computer monitors. I have a 23" widescreen monitor. I can EASILY see the difference between 1920x1080 resolution and 1280x720. Just food for thought.

Also, 600Hz is referring to subfield drive, not refresh rate. My plasma displayed the 600Hz subfield drive advertisement (really, that's all these numbers are) but is still only a 60Hz refresh-rate tv.

My plasma does reflect some light (it's a bedroom tv with the window behind the headboard), but I keep the blinds down when watching. I wouldn't say ambient lighting is a non-issue with plasma, but it isn't a huge drawback, IMO. TBQH, I can't imagine every buying an LCD set. Everyone I have every watched has had motion artifacts. Why the average person thinks LED has the best image is beyond me. Those tvs make my head hurt...

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    It's not the size so much as the distance. There is a limited enough angle that your eyes can resolve. If you sit close enough to a 32" tv, 1920x1080 resolution would be worth it. However, most people don't sit this close. For example, I sit about 8 feet from a 65" tv and still cannot resolve pixels. I'd have to be about 6-6.5 feet away for that to happen. After about 14-16 feet on my 65" tv, I physically cannot resolve the difference between 1280x720 and 1920x1080. If I were to permanently sit that far away, I would be wasting money going with 1080p. Though, I doubt I'd be able to find a tv that large with only 720 resolution.

Also, think about computer monitors. I have a 23" widescreen monitor. I can EASILY see the difference between 1920x1080 resolution and 1280x720. Just food for thought.

Also, 600Hz is referring to subfield drive, not refresh rate. My plasma displayed the 600Hz subfield drive advertisement (really, that's all these numbers are) but is still only a 60Hz refresh-rate tv.

My plasma does reflect some light (it's a bedroom tv with the window behind the headboard), but I keep the blinds down when watching. I wouldn't say ambient lighting is a non-issue with plasma, but it isn't a huge drawback, IMO. TBQH, I can't imagine every buying an LCD set. Everyone I have every watched has had motion artifacts. Why the average person thinks LED has the best image is beyond me. Those tvs make my head hurt...

I did NOT know that...I was wondering why plasmas "refresh rate" was so much much higher.:n00b:

I will say though, that the difference between my 60hz flat screen and my new 120hz(true motion) flat screen is like night and day...It took me several days to get used to it; it sort of makes movies look like they are using low budget cameras at first. Now, it just looks badass.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    I did NOT know that...I was wondering why plasmas "refresh rate" was so much much higher.:n00b:

I will say though, that the difference between my 60hz flat screen and my new 120hz(true motion) flat screen is like night and day...It took me several days to get used to it; it sort of makes movies look like they are using low budget cameras at first. Now, it just looks badass.
    Yeah my 120hz has that same look. I called it the HD Camcorder look, took a couple movies to get used to it.

AppleBonker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    Valpo
    And that look is precisely what I can't stand. And the main reason I wont be purchasing an LCD set anytime soon. My main tv is a 120Hz set and doesn't suffer from that problem, though it does have it's own issues (DLP). If only I could've afforded a large plasma when I bought it...

AppleBonker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    Valpo
    "LED" tv's are just LCDs with different lights behind them.

This. Though the LED sets generally contain the best LCD panels available from a particular manufacturer. Some of that is marketing, but some of it is manufacturing costs. In general, an LED tv should look better than its CCFL back-lit counterpart.

Shockingly, there are some employees in the Valpo BB that have a firm grasp on the benefits of each technology. Usually I just hear BB sales associates pushing LED...

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    LED = Light Emitting Diode
    Makes it's own light.

LCD = Liquid Crystal Display
    Needs light most common are back or end(side) lit.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    LED = Light Emitting Diode
    Makes it's own light.

LCD = Liquid Crystal Display
    Needs light most common are back or end(side) lit.

Not sure where you're aimed at with this comment but I hope you realize that LED TV's are actually LCD's that use LED's as their lightsource instead of a CCFL (Cold Cathode Flourescant Light).

There are multiple types of LED powered LCD's such as edge-lit, Full Backlit and Local dimming backlit LED LCD's but to imply that LED powered TV's are completely different entities than LCDs would be inaccurate.

That's like saying that a Mustang Cobra isn't a Mustang because of the Cobra package.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Not sure where you're aimed at with this comment but I hope you realize that LED TV's are actually LCD's that use LED's as their lightsource instead of a CCFL (Cold Cathode Flourescant Light).

There are multiple types of LED powered LCD's such as edge-lit, Full Backlit and Local dimming backlit LED LCD's but to imply that LED powered TV's are completely different entities than LCDs would be inaccurate.

That's like saying that a Mustang Cobra isn't a Mustang because of the Cobra package.

I really haven't got a clue..... I just know what each stands for. Kinda like women just because I don't understand them doesn't mean I don't like them.

AppleBonker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    Valpo
    I really haven't got a clue..... I just know what each stands for

Unfortunate side effect of marketing. In order to differentiate LED-lit LCDs from CCFL-lit LCDs, manufacturers seemed to have dropped the "LCD" tag from the LED sets. I guess it might be hard to convince Joe six-pack that one LCD tv is really better than another.

Top Bottom