• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Don't know if this really belongs here, but here goes anyway.
    I pulled a boneheaded move and broke the trigger guard completely off of my Remington model 770 bolt action .30-06.
    Shy of plastic welding, is there any way to repair this?
    Cosmetics are not really a concern, but I don't want it to look any worse than necessary.
    Would an epoxy hold?
    Thanks for your input IMG_20230305_195059885.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'd try what you likely have around anyway. JB Weld.

A bit of sanding and a sharpie to color finishes the job.

Third post down refers to a 770 stock patch...

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    A lot depends on what type of plastic it is. Composite materials use epoxy or polyester resins to hold everything together and should respond to the epoxy in the JB Weld like bwframe suggested. Injection molded stocks with some plastics like HDPE are really hard to get adhesion to.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    A lot depends on what type of plastic it is. Composite materials use epoxy or polyester resins to hold everything together and should respond to the epoxy in the JB Weld like bwframe suggested. Injection molded stocks with some plastics like HDPE are really hard to get adhesion to.
    What he said!!

Personally I feel this is a great reason to scrap that plastic stock and go with something better

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Oops! Get the Crazy Glue!
    Seriously, maybe time for a better made synthetic stock. Lots of good ones out there!

Reactions: wcd

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    What he said!!

Personally I feel this is a great reason to scrap that plastic stock and go with something better
    I would love to, but this was a "budget buy" to begin with.
    I bought it as having a " broken bolt".
    Someone had disassembled the bolt and couldn't figure out how to put it back together.
    It came with the bolt in pieces in a bag in the box.
    I had the bolt reassembled before the gunship even got the background check done.
    I can buy the identical plastic p.o.s. stock for $90 + shipping on GunBroker but I don't want to do that.
    I can find a Boyd's stock for it, if I want to pay $250 for a stock...
    Not sure what I want to do.
    Probably try repair first.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Take a look at the possibilities of drilling small holes thru broke off piece of guard an screwing into pieces left on stock.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Take a look at the possibilities of drilling small holes thru broke off piece of guard an screwing into pieces left on stock.
    I have considered that.
    That might be my first attempt.
    If that doesn't work I have thought about just removing the remains of the trigger guard and fashioning a steel guard that I can screw into place.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Another thought might be to contact Remington? I'd start with asking about a price to replace. Never know, they might just ask for your address to send a replacement for the stock that should never have broken in the first place? :dunno:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Not to step on toes, but its a 770.
    I wouldnt put much time or money in it.
    Check Ebay for a replacement.
    This was my thought too.
    Initially I thought this might be a good opportunity to try making my own stock.
    Then I realized that the mag release spring pin is molded into the stock.
    The entire mag well is molded plastic...
    I think I might just fashion a steel strap guard, screw it on and call it a day.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Don't know if this really belongs here, but here goes anyway.
    I pulled a boneheaded move and broke the trigger guard completely off of my Remington model 770 bolt action .30-06.
    Shy of plastic welding, is there any way to repair this?
    Cosmetics are not really a concern, but I don't want it to look any worse than necessary.
    Would an epoxy hold?
    Thanks for your input View attachment 260329

Maybe this will work

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I’d try to drill a small hole on the trigger guard and rifle then insert small pins and epoxy it back together.
    Orrrrr… grind off the remaking piece of trigger guard and find a metal one that fits. The one posted above seems like a good idea if the epoxy doesn’t work.

Vimace

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2023
    Indianapolis

Maybe this will work
    I'd give this a try...

Sand/grind down the remaining on the stock, present the metal trigger guard, mark the exact position where it works best for you, and screw it down, use some loctite if necessary

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    I'd give this a try...

Sand/grind down the remaining on the stock, present the metal trigger guard, mark the exact position where it works best for you, and screw it down, use some loctite if necessary
    The stock is most likely a glass filled nylon material. Easy to mark the hole locations with the tip of a soldering iron. You may need to add some reinforcement on the inside of the receiver area (small wasters or metal shim material. Just make sure nothing interferes with the trigger. JB Weld does make a plastic binder if you need to fill a little.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I’d try to drill a small hole on the trigger guard and rifle then insert small pins and epoxy it back together.
    Orrrrr… grind off the remaking piece of trigger guard and find a metal one that fits. The one posted above seems like a good idea if the epoxy doesn’t work.
    I can't believe how fortunate, and lucky, I am.
    I went digging and came up with a broken wooden stock for a J.C.Higgins shotgun.
    This was a bolt action shotgun that a friend had. It had a broken stock at the wrist.
    Broken clean through. Someone had glued it back together and did a horrible job. I found a used replacement stock for it and replaced the stock for the friend.
    When I took it back repaired he said " you fixed it so it's yours"!
    Well, I never threw away the bad stock and guess what.
    Yep, it had a metal trigger guard screwed into the stock.
    I removed it from the broken stock and held it in position on the broken Remington stock and it's more or less a perfect fit. The rear action screw will hold the rear of the trigger guard and I can use a wood screw in the front hole.
    I painted the guard to prevent rust and I need to get a screw that is 1/4" longer than what I have, but I have this problem figured out and all I'll need to buy is one screw!

Top Bottom