• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I need to connect my range, but the shutoff valve was just laying on the floor next to capped branch. :xmad:

My question is this: I've done some gas line work and a fair amount of plumbing in general so is this something I should tackle? Do fix it, the main needs shut off, remove the cap and attach valve - then check to be sure it's gas tight.

I've got all the hardware, tools, tape, pipe dope and leak detection spray.

So what says INGO?

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I need to connect my range, but the shutoff valve was just laying on the floor next to capped branch. :xmad:

My question is this: I've done some gas line work and a fair amount of plumbing in general so is this something I should tackle? Do fix it, the main needs shut off, remove the cap and attach valve - then check to be sure it's gas tight.

So what says INGO?

Sounds like you have the right idea. Turn off that branch if you can, otherwise shutoff the main. I like the gas rated tape, yellow in color. Make your additions, turn the gas back on, spray soapy water on the lines to check for leaks.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I am way to full of internet bravado to assist here.....:)

I really don't want a situation where I'm going to crap my pants... :):

Sounds like you have the right idea. Turn off that branch if you can, otherwise shutoff the main. I like the gas rated tape, yellow in color. Make your additions, turn the gas back on, spray soapy water on the lines to check for leaks.
    INGO has spoken! It seems pretty easy to me too...

Gas goes BOOM! so my vote is pay the professional.
    Guns go boom too and I don't leave those to professionals. Plus, I really want to get this range installed so I can get those pictures you requested.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Easy peasy. Just make sure to support the existing pipe well as you screw on the valve. And you may just want to buy a new valve. Cheap and you really dont know why that valve is laying there.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have done this several times with the line hot. Put brush on pipe dope/thread paste on the threads in the female threads. Remove the cap slowly until it starts to loose gas. Pull it off and immediately put the valve in place and tighten it down. There is only 6 to 7 inches of water column pressure in the line so very little loss involve. Just do not be smoking a cigarette or have open flame close by.
    I do not like relighting all the pilots after a total line shut down. Just be quick and positive. Again, not much will spew out.

MAJB Retired

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0

I did my whole house when I converted from Propane to natural gas. No big deal as long as the connections are tight. If you already have gas, and you need to add, just be sure to close of the branch (or main if needed). Then uncap and allow the gas to vent before you start doing the work (natural gas is lighter than air and will dissipate, Propane is heavier and will settle in the lowest place). A good thing to do is to install a cut off before each branch, in case you need to add on later. And yes, the yellow Teflon tape is used for gas. Also, no copper! Copper is OK for Propane, but not natural gas. And yes, low pressure, so you could do a hot swap to put on a cut-off and then continue to work.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have done this several times with the line hot. Put brush on pipe dope/thread paste on the threads in the female threads. Remove the cap slowly until it starts to loose gas. Pull it off and immediately put the valve in place and tighten it down. There is only 6 to 7 inches of water column pressure in the line so very little loss involve. Just do not be smoking a cigarette or have open flame close by.
    I do not like relighting all the pilots after a total line shut down. Just be quick and positive. Again, not much will spew out.

The guy that used to do service in the equipment when I worked at the restaurant used to work on the fly. He would also look for gas leaks with a lit zippo lighter. Puff and flame, the leak is right there. Old school tough guy, but he always seemed to keep all the grilles, ovens and fryers running.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The guy that used to do service in the equipment when I worked at the restaurant used to work on the fly. He would also look for gas leaks with a lit zippo lighter. Puff and flame, the leak is right there. Old school tough guy, but he always seemed to keep all the grilles, ovens and fryers running.

That is how I learned to find leaks and make repairs. If there is enough gas to cause an explosion it will have already went off or you will smell it. Having ran miles of threaded and welded pipe we used to tap in live on mains to run a branch. Drill the hole, light the escaping gas and weld on the thread-o-let while the gas is burning off. Can not explode if it is already burning. 1st time I saw a fitter do that I was set back a bit but the gas will only burn when mixed with oxygen. The pipe is full of gas so no danger. Of course this is not a good idea in a confined space.....:)

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Oh heck, I do my electric hot, and you can't smell that. I do want to get some ethyl mercaptan to do evil things with :cool: As discussed, the gas runs a pretty low pressure, so if you're on your game, you won't lose much. Just watch the sparks and flames. You could get a nasty surprise.

Rymo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2014
    Whiteland

This reminded me of the first time I saw someone install a gas line and he just pulled out his zippo, lit his cigarette and just ran his zippo down the line. Good news, no leaks!

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    Leave the tape in the tool box and use dope (oateys blue is my go to for gas), and that cheap shut of is soft brass so it will streatch so dont get carried away tightening. As stated before its pretty light on the pressure like 2/9ths of a psi so fasten your chinstrap cause your hat is probably ganna blow off.

Top Bottom