• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So I have laid new flooring in the kitchen painted the cabinets and walls, amazing what a minor Reno will do. So we have a utility room off the kitchen that has a doorway. I would like to continue the flooring into the utility room. Only concern is the Hot Water heater. Would there be any unintended consequences to draining it so that it could be lifted enough to install the new flooring?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Do NOT open the temperature relief valve to aide in draining.
    Many times, once opened, they will not reseal.
    Open the drain and crack a water line to drain.
    No adverse consequences from draining and resetting.

djay7677

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 29, 2022
    Mishawaka IN
    As a side note, most floating floors that are vinyl advise you not to install under heavy weight. This will prevent expansion and contraction. If you’re using a glue down vinyl then it’s no problem.just fyi if you didn’t already know.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    As a side note, most floating floors that are vinyl advise you not to install under heavy weight. This will prevent expansion and contraction. If you’re using a glue down vinyl then it’s no problem.just fyi if you didn’t already know.
    It’s what they call a plop and drop, yeah I was skeptical to we have had it in the kitchen now for a while, just getting around to doing the other room now. Late fall project since our rainy season is starting.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Thanks not wanting to over think it but sometimes the best intentions can go South.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Pending on the age of the water heater while you have it drained it may be wise to go ahead and replace the bottom element while it's empty.

91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    Personally, I would not think about lifting a water heater without disconnecting everything at which point just get it out of the way, do your floor put it back.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I would have no idea how to do either of these things.
    The anode rod simply looks like a nut Or a plug on the top of the tank. you would have to tip the tank to unscrew and remove it since it’s nearly the length of the tank and you probably can’t get it out before hitting the ceiling.

Not sure about the element though as mine is gas but I believe they just screw into the side of the bottom of the tank and you would have to remove the access panel near the bottom and remove it.

91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    Moral of the story, could be painless or it could be a can of worms, lots of variables. Depending on your drain pan and layout in the room it may be easier to find a way to put the flooring around it and make it look best you can.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I would have no idea how to do either of these things.
    I can't speak for the anode thing.
    But the element is near the bottom you can get a wrench for it for like 5 bucks and a new element for like 5-10 bucks.

Drain tank, disconnect power, disconnect wires on element, unscrew pull out. Put new one in, yada yada.

Lpherr

Occupied
    If the valve doesn't reseal, it would be best to replace it, since it may not work as intended anyway. They are simple to change and pretty cheap. I had one that kept leaking. I replaced it in about 10 minutes.

As others have mentioned, if the WH is 5 yrs or older, it's a good time to replace it.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Moral of the story, could be painless or it could be a can of worms, lots of variables. Depending on your drain pan and layout in the room it may be easier to find a way to put the flooring around it and make it look best you can.
    I was having the same thoughts. If the flooring is easy enough to cut. I would do the best to work it around the WH.

Top Bottom