Plus-size women using the Flashbang - I need your reviews!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lori

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Hancock County
    I have owned my Bersa Thunder 380 for nearly two years, have my CC permit, yet have never utilized it. I purchased a holster back when I purchased my gun, but I am not a big fan of it :( I have been researching the Flashbang and really like all the reviews, my problem is I can't seem to find any reviews from plus-sized women! I am not a huge gal, but am what I like to call, "Pleasantly plump" ;) If anyone on here is also, "Pleasantly plump" and owns the Flashbang - let me know your thoughts.

Lori

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Hancock County
    Also, I don't know if I am missing something, but several of the videos show the woman drawing her gun and shooting it immediately. This would mean these women are carrying their guns LIVE? Am I missing something? Is it wrong of me to believe I would still want the safety on and NOT have a bullet in the chamber ready to go?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    Is it wrong of me to believe I would still want the safety on and NOT have a bullet in the chamber ready to go?

Yes, it is.

If you are not comfortable carrying your defensive firearm with a round in the chamber, you need to seek additional training and/or range time until you *ARE* comfortable with it. If your moment of need arises, you cannot guarantee that you will have both hands free and/or the time to chamber a round. Do not intentionally put yourself at a disadvantage by carrying on an empty chamber, because if the time comes for you to need your firearm to protect your life, you'll need it RIGHT FREAKIN' NOW(!!!!!)...not 2-3 seconds from now.

Here is a recent thread about this very topic to provide you with further enlightenment:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...begging*-you-stop-carrying-empty-chamber.html

:ingo:

:twocents:

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Also, I don't know if I am missing something, but several of the videos show the woman drawing her gun and shooting it immediately. This would mean these women are carrying their guns LIVE? Am I missing something? Is it wrong of me to believe I would still want the safety on and NOT have a bullet in the chamber ready to go?

Carrying with an empty chamber (your choice of course) the gun you have is no more than a very small club or a large paper weight.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Yes, it is.

If you are not comfortable carrying your defensive firearm with a round in the chamber, you need to seek additional training and/or range time until you *ARE* comfortable with it. If your moment of need arises, you cannot guarantee that you will have both hands free and/or the time to chamber a round. Do not intentionally put yourself at a disadvantage by carrying on an empty chamber, because if the time comes for you to need your firearm to protect you life, you'll need it RIGHT FREAKIN' NOW(!!!!!)...not 2-3 seconds from now.

Here is a recent thread about this very topic to provide you with further enlightenment:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...begging*-you-stop-carrying-empty-chamber.html

:twocents:

What this clever man said. :+1:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I have an LCR, and I ordered a FlashBang last week. It should be here today or tomorrow, so I'll let you know.

I am definitely a plus-sized woman, and I'm also very short. I had originally considered carrying IWB, but I thought that between my extra bulk and my lack of height, there would not be room for a gun anywhere between 12-3:00, and I really don't want to carry SOB. If the FlashBang doesn't work out, I'll probably try 4:00.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Lori - definitely carry with a round in the chamber. As said above - get some training if you need more confidence handling the gun. Plus, training is a fun way to get to know your gun.

I can't comment on the flashbang. Holsters in general, I can comment on. Buy them and try them. You will probably get several before finding one that works well. To try it, you must wear it. Not just in the house. Strap it on and go about your business. You may be surprised at how well one can work. Use a good, sturdy belt if wearing on the belt.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis

In a way the Bersa has two safeties. The one you switch and the longer first pull for double action. Each pull after that is single action and much more sensitive. I would do what others suggest and get some training and time on the range to become more comfortable with a round in the chamber.

The gun in the video does not have a safety and relies only on the long double action pull for each round which is much like the pull of a revolver. Only a few revolver models out of the hundreds of models out there have safeties.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have an LCR, and I ordered a FlashBang last week. It should be here today or tomorrow, so I'll let you know.

I am definitely a plus-sized woman, and I'm also very short. I had originally considered carrying IWB, but I thought that between my extra bulk and my lack of height, there would not be room for a gun anywhere between 12-3:00, and I really don't want to carry SOB. If the FlashBang doesn't work out, I'll probably try 4:00.

I am tall but have a rotund mid-section. I have to use a set of suspenders these days to keep my pants where they belong if I am sporting my 1911. I have had to change a few things in this area as well. Had to move the holster more towards the 4:00 position not so much to draw but to return.
    Sucks getting old and loving gravy.....:)

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I am tall but have a rotund mid-section. I have to use a set of suspenders these days to keep my pants where they belong if I am sporting my 1911. I have had to change a few things in this area as well. Had to move the holster more towards the 4:00 position not so much to draw but to return.

Mmmmm, gravy, my favorite beverage.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

Only one of those sucks.

Hoosier Gal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    NE
    Have you read the articles at THe Well Armed Woman?

For me, I just don't think the flashbang would work. When I sit down my midsection rises up, there would be no place for the gun to go. ;) I have seen that remora also has a similar holster for bra carry.
    I have a regular remora holster and like it well enough. I also have the Ava by Looper. I like that a lot. I have it for the p238 and I use it appendix carry. I can also use it behind the back and it's just as comfortable.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Seek out and find the holster that you are comfortable wearing every day. It may take some trial and error and wasted money, but so does finding the right gun. The most important thing is how it works for YOU, not for anyone else. And yes, always keep one im the chamber (and put gun either gun double action mode, or turn on the safety if needed).

Lori

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Hancock County
    Yes, it is.

If you are not comfortable carrying your defensive firearm with a round in the chamber, you need to seek additional training and/or range time until you *ARE* comfortable with it. If your moment of need arises, you cannot guarantee that you will have both hands free and/or the time to chamber a round. Do not intentionally put yourself at a disadvantage by carrying on an empty chamber, because if the time comes for you to need your firearm to protect you life, you'll need it RIGHT FREAKIN' NOW(!!!!!)...not 2-3 seconds from now.

Thank you for the advice - I think you are right. After posting this earlier I decided to do some research, clearly I am not comfortable enough to be CC. I bet you can guess what is on my agenda! ;)

Lori

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Hancock County

Thank you Snapdragon! Although I now believe I am not anywhere close to being ready to CC, I hope to get there in due time and will then seek out my perfect holster :)

Lori

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Hancock County
    In a way the Bersa has two safeties. The one you switch and the longer first pull for double action. Each pull after that is single action and much more sensitive. I would do what others suggest and get some training and time on the range to become more comfortable with a round in the chamber.

The gun in the video does not have a safety and relies only on the long double action pull for each round which is much like the pull of a revolver. Only a few revolver models out of the hundreds of models out there have safeties.
    Like I just mentioned above, you are all absolutely correct by what I researched today! And after reading your comment, Hoosier8, I am even more concerned with my lack of knowledge on my own gun :( I don't understand the double action/single action???

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    I think any gun either chambered or not is better then no gun. Also if you have a revolver it will still be you first shot if you leave the chamber cylinder clear. Of course now you just lost 1 shot out of a very limited amount of shots. Id rather my wife carry a gun unchambered then leave home with nothing. Is it better chamered for speed YES. But if she does not bring the gun because she does not like it chambered then i prefer she brings it unchambered. Just my thought.

Top Bottom