Plus-size women using the Flashbang - I need your reviews!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I decided to do some research, clearly I am not comfortable enough to be CC. I bet you can guess what is on my agenda! ;)

I researched today! And after reading your comment
    What did you research? What did you read?

I don't understand the double action/single action???
    Double action: The trigger performs two actions;
    • cocking the hammer
    • releasing the hammer
    Single action; The trigger only performs one action;
    • releasing the hammer.

Shooting in double action, the pull of the trigger cocks the hammer and then also fires the gun. This trigger is usually a long hard mushy trigger pull...

Shooting in single action, the hammer has to be cocked first. Usually, this trigger is very light, short and crisp.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Well, I cc'd with this holster IWB in the 2:00 position this evening, and it felt secure but strange since it was my first time. I love the nice soft suede against my skin. I just have to get over the fear that every time I sit down or bend over, the gun is going to go off.

Lori

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Hancock County
    What did you research? What did you read?

Double action: The trigger performs two actions;
    • cocking the hammer
    • releasing the hammer
    Single action; The trigger only performs one action;
    • releasing the hammer.

Shooting in double action, the pull of the trigger cocks the hammer and then also fires the gun. This trigger is usually a long hard mushy trigger pull...

Shooting in single action, the hammer has to be cocked first. Usually, this trigger is very light, short and crisp.

What did I research??? I read a bit more on the overall purpose of CC, the overwhelming opinion to carry chambered, and how if I am not comfortable with that, I need more training.

What did I read??? I was referring to someone's comment about the double action. Am I being a bit thin skinned here, or was this meant to come across a bit....cocky?

Lori

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Hancock County
    Snapdragon - I looked at the link you provided, I have a near replica of that holster! I bought it at our neighborhood gun store and was told someone makes these local and sells them in his shop. I have thought about selling mine, just because I don't think I would ever get used to carrying it IWB..for the same reason as you ;)

Lori

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Hancock County
    So, just to get further clarification on the double action - someone previously commented that the Bersa Thunder, the gun I own, has the ability to shoot double or single action and that by utilizing the double action, it along with the safety, could potentially be considered two safety mechanisms (not his or her exact words). Does this mean then that with a gun like mine, I don't have to chamber the first round, that it will automatically do that for me so long as a clip is loaded? This would be awesome if this is the case!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    No. The round has to already be in the chamber.
    Double action means you are pulling the hammer back, against a spring. So, it does take some pressure.
    After the 1st shot, the slide already pushed the hammer back.
    So all you have to do is release the hammer, which takes less pressure.

That is for a SA/DA.

With a DAO (double action only) you have the hard pull each time.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    So, just to get further clarification on the double action - someone previously commented that the Bersa Thunder, the gun I own, has the ability to shoot double or single action and that by utilizing the double action, it along with the safety, could potentially be considered two safety mechanisms (not his or her exact words). Does this mean then that with a gun like mine, I don't have to chamber the first round, that it will automatically do that for me so long as a clip is loaded? This would be awesome if this is the case!

Here try this video. Go to 9:20 minutes which is the start of SA/DA overview.

[video=youtube;V2be4eS_tMI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2be4eS_tMI[/video]

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    Lori, God bless you. I realize that you are fairly new, if not entirely to firearms (at least in function). No weapon on the planet will automatically chamber the first round on its own. You (the user) must chamber the first round. I see you are in Hancock Cty.... If you are in Greenfield area, I strongly suggest you go to Highsmith Guns and talk to Mark, Cheryl, or Shane about taking the basic firearms training, and also suggest you take the intermediate course.
    The folk at Highsmith are great people and will treat you right. My intent is to help you, not to belittle you. Best wishes to you.:)
    Here is the link to Highsmith:Firearms Training

Lori

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Hancock County
    Singlesix - thank you very much for this :)

Metaldog - no worries, I am realizing how little I really know :( I am not far from Greenfield, but I am actually a loyal customer of M&J Firearms in Fortville. I have thought about taking a couple of classes before, but have decided today that this is a necessity.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    Singlesix - thank you very much for this :)

Metaldog - no worries, I am realizing how little I really know :( I am not far from Greenfield, but I am actually a loyal customer of M&J Firearms in Fortville. I have thought about taking a couple of classes before, but have decided today that this is a necessity.
    :thumbsup: The price for training is nothing compared to the value of a life.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I am in Hancock also, and can vouch for Highsmiths Guns. They take time to talk to their customers, and are real friendly.

What you will hear time and time again, is that as long as the trigger is covered, your guns won't go off. The secondary safety you hear about is called a firing pin block, and it won't lower out of the firing pin channel until the trigger is pulled. As an added safety mechanism--especially helpful for new gun carriers--you can flip on a manual safety (just be sure to flip it off every time you draw).

The great thing about a double action pistol (or revolver) is that you don't have to use a safety, simply because the trigger pull is to heavy for something to bump it off. So, what you could do is load the chamber, then decock the gun, and leave the safety off. The safety is really best to use when you are handling the weapon.

I agree with others that some training is called for if you are inexperienced, and still want to carry. This will just get you up to speed a lot faster (and safer). You need to train to keep your finger at the side of the pistol, and off the trigger, for example. A handgun is a lot easier to point in an unsafe direction because of its size. Your instructor would be the ideal person to talk to about which holster is best, because he can better gauge your experience level, and needs.

Lori

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Hancock County
    Netsecurity - thank you so much as well. There is one advantage Highsmith Guns has over M&J Firearms - a shooting range. I know that in order to take classes at M&J, you are pretty much going to drive a little distance to an outdoor range. I will at least check out Highsmith - I have heard a lot of good things about them :)

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Highsmiths does have a shooting range, but it is a bit pricy, and I don't know if they have instructors/training though. Mainly I was just advising to go there to talk to them at the counter sometime for some free advice. If your preferred LGS offers training, then jump right in! Be sure to keep us posted on your progress, and continue to ask questions here on INGO too.

PS, a "ladies" class might be a good option for you. A lot of places offer multi day classroom and range courses specifically aimed at ladies. My wife liked her course, and even got her mom to go with her.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I feel like I should leave this right there ...

[video=youtube;o6Y7LIJm5gI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Y7LIJm5gI[/video]

4rules.jpg

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Good find Sylvain.

I'd change the rules, but I'm not saying they are outdated, just a little out of order and unclear. I'd reduce them to three, and add a fourth:

1) NEVER, EVER, EVER aim ANY gun at anything you don't want to kill or destroy, EVEN IF it is unloaded
    2) ALWAYS identify your target AND know what is behind it BEFORE aiming (See #1 - Don 't aim at a friendly)
    3) Keep your finger OFF the trigger until you've taken careful aim and are ready to fire (See #2 - know your target first!)
    4) ALWAYS visually inspect the chamber when handling a gun to ensure it is empty... then inspect a second time... then a third (See #3 - Keep finger off trigger while handling, and See #1 - Treat gun as loaded, even when empty)

These may be harder to remember, but as a computer programmer I can't help to put everything in order and form a feedback loop! :cool:

I feel like I should leave this right there ...

[video=youtube;o6Y7LIJm5gI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Y7LIJm5gI[/video]

4rules.jpg

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Good find Sylvain.

I'd change the rules, but I'm not saying they are outdated, just a little out of order and unclear. I'd reduce them to three, and add a fourth:

1) NEVER, EVER, EVER aim ANY gun at anything you don't want to kill or destroy, EVEN IF it is unloaded
    2) ALWAYS identify your target AND know what is behind it BEFORE aiming (See #1 - Don 't aim at a friendly)
    3) Keep your finger OFF the trigger until you've taken careful aim and are ready to fire (See #2 - know your target first!)
    4) ALWAYS visually inspect the chamber when handling a gun to ensure it is empty... then inspect a second time... then a third (See #3 - Keep finger off trigger while handling, and See #1 - Treat gun as unloaded, even when empty)

These may be harder to remember, but as a computer programmer I can't help to put everything in order and form a feedback loop! :cool:

I think the rules are very clear as they are.
    The problem is that many people dont follow them and as a result kill loved ones all the time.

Every single gun related accident and death you see in the newspaper happened because someone didn't follow at least 2 of the 4 rules.They are designed that even if you break only one no accident can happen (police officers point loaded guns at people all the time but with their fingers off the trigger they dont go off on accident).

Also I think you meant "treat gun as loaded even when empty". :dunno:

Top Bottom