Plus-size women using the Flashbang - I need your reviews!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Please, let's not get into this debate here. All of the rules I've ever seen are valid, whether there are three or four or five.

Personally, I don't buy into the "if you only follow three out of four, you'll be OK" philosophy. That sounds kind of like Russian Roulette. Follow them all. Always.

Ok, I said let's not debate this and then I added my :twocents:. :p

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Please, let's not get into this debate here. All of the rules I've ever seen are valid, whether there are three or four or five.

Personally, I don't buy into the "if you only follow three out of four, you'll be OK" philosophy. That sounds kind of like Russian Roulette. Follow them all. Always.

Ok, I said let's not debate this and then I added my :twocents:. :p

Agreed. I wasn't seriously suggesting replacing them, just elaborating. I do think the order is a little weird since pointing a gun at someone is the worst "sin" and it comes second in the list. And some people don't get that "The gun is always loaded" means to treat it that way, even when empty. (Some people in my extended family even).

Oh yeah. Real Good. Happy Hollidays!

Lori

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Hancock County
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    Yes, it is.

If you are not comfortable carrying your defensive firearm with a round in the chamber, you need to seek additional training and/or range time until you *ARE* comfortable with it. If your moment of need arises, you cannot guarantee that you will have both hands free and/or the time to chamber a round. Do not intentionally put yourself at a disadvantage by carrying on an empty chamber, because if the time comes for you to need your firearm to protect you life, you'll need it RIGHT FREAKIN' NOW(!!!!!)...not 2-3 seconds from now.

Here is a recent thread about this very topic to provide you with further enlightenment:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...begging*-you-stop-carrying-empty-chamber.html

:ingo:

Thank you for the advice - I think you are right. After posting this earlier I decided to do some research, clearly I am not comfortable enough to be CC. I bet you can guess what is on my agenda! ;)

You're welcome! :cheers:

It sounds like you are new to guns/being a gun owner with a rather healthy amount of respect for what a firearm can do if discharged when you don't want it to....this is a good thing, and with some training & familiarization you will see that a responsible woman *can* safely carry a firearm with a round ready to fire, be it a revolver or semi-auto.
    There are PLENTY of training resources and (as you can see by the many responses :) ) friendly people here on :ingo: to help and guide you on your journey to becoming a safe and responsible armed citizen..!

Being a 'minus-sized' guy, I can't help you much with holster selection, but regardless...:welcome: to INGO! :wavey:

Last edited:

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Here's my two cents. First off, if I am to the point of drawing my gun and possibly shooting someone, they don't deserve to see my chest first. :) So for me a flash bang holster isn't a consideration.

I am petite as well as short. I am curvy but not heavy. I don't conceal guns well so I quit trying. Besides I am too short and don't have enough room between my waist band and my ribs. I really like carrying OWB. It has worked out very well for me and is very comfortable. I think you ladies might want to give OWB a try. If you have a little bit of extra weight it might actually help to conceal the gun better, just wear a longer shirt.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Well, I cc'd with this holster IWB in the 2:00 position this evening, and it felt secure but strange since it was my first time. I love the nice soft suede against my skin. I just have to get over the fear that every time I sit down or bend over, the gun is going to go off.

Each time you carry you will gain more confidence. Soon your fears will fade and you will even forget you are carrying a gun.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    They don't have to see your chest for you to reach up and grab it. You can pull your shirt out, not up, to reach up and draw.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    We may need some videos of the, err, drawstroke. You know, to get a better idea of what is involved so better to make recomendations. ;)

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Ok, here's my review of FlashBang. No videos or photos, because you can see those on Youtube. Received it yesterday, just got it out this morning. I hate it. First of all, you have to use a screwdriver to change the different lengths of straps for each bra, since all styles of bras are different. Second, you have to attach the FlashBang to your bra with the gun in the holster. That's a lot of futzing around with a loaded gun pointed all over your chest and abdomen. Third, once you get it there, the holster does not stay put when you draw. Drawing pulls the holster out from under the bra so that you either have to take it off and put it on all over again, or re-holster the loaded gun, which is not a simple thing with the clamshell.

If I am going to bra-carry, I would much rather use my Vega suede IWB holster. Python Brown Suede Holster - 1541074, Concealment Holsters at Sportsman's Guide The suede is soft, and the holster attaches securely to my bra. Unless I'm wearing a turtleneck, I can easily reach down through the neckline of my shirt and draw. The butt of the gun sticks out a bit with my LCR, but I am planning on switching to the boot grip which is not as bulky. A pistol would be a smoother fit.

I guess I can post this here. I've got a wifebeater on under the bra. This is the Vega Python suede holster, which is a great little IWB holster also.

braholster.jpg

Because of my extra weight, this is actually much more comfortable than carrying around my midsection.

Last edited:

Hoosier Gal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    NE
    Thanks Snapdragon! I've read some reviews that were not favorable for the Flashbang. I was (am) skeptical of it.
    Have you looked at the Marilyn holster?
    When I receive new accessories or a new firearm, I practice unloaded at home so that I'm comfortable with the newness.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Hi Hoosier Gal. Unfortunately, the Marilyn holster doesn't accommodate revolvers. That's ok. I like my little suede holster, and I'll keep looking for other styles that wrok.

Hoosier Gal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    NE
    Hi Hoosier Gal. Unfortunately, the Marilyn holster doesn't accommodate revolvers. That's ok. I like my little suede holster, and I'll keep looking for other styles that wrok.
    Ah. I see. I know that they are limited. You could also look at the remora. They have a new bra holster, but it might work out the same.

Lori

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Hancock County
    I think I am going to check out the remora as well. I really wish there was a way to try before you buy - like for at least a couple days, to really get a feel for it. I love the idea of a good bra holster, only because it won't really matter if you are sitting or standing, the access is the same and I *think* it would be more comfortable. However, for me, first things first - need some training to become more comfortable :) As a Christmas present to myself (and those around me, lol) I am signing up for a class!

Hoosier Gal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    NE
    I think I am going to check out the remora as well. I really wish there was a way to try before you buy - like for at least a couple days, to really get a feel for it. I love the idea of a good bra holster, only because it won't really matter if you are sitting or standing, the access is the same and I *think* it would be more comfortable. However, for me, first things first - need some training to become more comfortable :) As a Christmas present to myself (and those around me, lol) I am signing up for a class!

Thats great. I am all for training. Because people do stupid things all the time even with training. ;) but at least with training, you are more aware of the stupidity.

I have only ordered once from remora, but they have great customer service and throw in free stuff.

There are some good videos and blogs out there showing the different products and how they work too. Education is key. :D

Lori

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Hancock County
    I checked out Highsmith Guns today, and those who recommended this place - I LOVE you! I ended up there today oddly not for myself, but for my youngest son (12) for some archery equipment and advice. Everyone was just wonderful, friendly, knowledgeable, and NOT sexist ;) Their archery technician was just fabulous and extremely helpful. Their range is the best indoor range I have seen in the Indy area - and large! Turns out, there .380 ammo is about 20% cheaper than my LGS - I think it is all going to be worth the drive :)

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Ok, here's my review of FlashBang. No videos or photos, because you can see those on Youtube. Received it yesterday, just got it out this morning. I hate it. First of all, you have to use a screwdriver to change the different lengths of straps for each bra, since all styles of bras are different. Second, you have to attach the FlashBang to your bra with the gun in the holster. That's a lot of futzing around with a loaded gun pointed all over your chest and abdomen. Third, once you get it there, the holster does not stay put when you draw. Drawing pulls the holster out from under the bra so that you either have to take it off and put it on all over again, or re-holster the loaded gun, which is not a simple thing with the clamshell.

If I am going to bra-carry, I would much rather use my Vega suede IWB holster. Python Brown Suede Holster - 1541074, Concealment Holsters at Sportsman's Guide The suede is soft, and the holster attaches securely to my bra. Unless I'm wearing a turtleneck, I can easily reach down through the neckline of my shirt and draw. The butt of the gun sticks out a bit with my LCR, but I am planning on switching to the boot grip which is not as bulky. A pistol would be a smoother fit.

I guess I can post this here. I've got a wifebeater on under the bra. This is the Vega Python suede holster, which is a great little IWB holster also.

View attachment 24383

Because of my extra weight, this is actually much more comfortable than carrying around my midsection.

Wow. I have a similar IWB holster and never thought of using it like that, might give it a try.
    I too, tried the FlashBang and didn't like it. I was really disappointed that it didn't work out for me. I'm 5'2" and around 140 lbs, not real big-busted. I could not get the gun to stay in place while being physically active, and it felt heavy. My EDC then was a Sig P938. I still have it, but have been carrying my Airweight .38 revolver more, in a Galco Ankle Glove or Remora sticky holster IWB.

Top Bottom