• ...and so much more!
  • DThurston

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Shelby County
    <rant>
    What a complete jackwagon. :xmad: No excuse for it. Tresspassing, no license and illegal weapon to boot. Crap like this is one reason my F-i-L likes me hunting his land - keep an eye on things.

Man faces illegal hunting charges

So this loser is out there hunting, possibly, the same deer I'm after, but since I'm playing by the rules... well, at least that's ONE out of the way.
    </rant>

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    No argument. I have been sitting in an exclusive woods too many times and hear a shot ring out. The slob hunters are a disgrace.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    The article says he was trying to put meat on the table. Every ICO I know will take your number and call you if they have an unclaimed deer, such as one that has been hit by a car.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    The article says he was trying to put meat on the table. Every ICO I know will take your number and call you if they have an unclaimed deer, such as one that has been hit by a car.

I'd like to see a picture of him; I bet he has chubby cheeks and is well fed; just like the people I see downtown hold signs "will work for food".

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    He should be made an example of and do some time. Maybe it would stop crap like that. My Dad has a problem keeping poachers off of his land in Randolph County.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    3 cheers for the sportsmen who reported the gun shot. If not for them he probably would have gotten away with it.
    I also hate people who don't follow the rules.
    IMHO when a hunter breaks the wildlife code they cease being a hunter and are now a common criminal on the run. No way do I classify them as hunters.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I'd like to see a picture of him; I bet he has chubby cheeks and is well fed.

Would it make a difference if he were emaciated and were wearing rags?
    All of my life I have dealt with people trespassing and poaching the family farm. It becomes more than a simple nuisance having to deal with the hoards of arrogant, self entitled people that have no regards for the property of others.
    I have never had any trouble with filling my freezer with legal equipment either, so that holds no real weight with me as an argument.

While I cannot condone trespassing on others property, or the use of illegal equipment, if in fact he was in dire need of food, I think leniency would be in order.

Just as a guess though, I doubt any justification could be made, and this individual should be made an example to others.

glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    Was there some type of hunting going on this weekend that did allow a firearm. I was out at raccoon lake this past weekend and heard gutshots all around the lake.

nsenneking

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Ballstown
    I hunt in Franklin County, and from experience I can say that there are a lot of people that just feel the need to shoot at everything, no matter where and what season. Last year I had to chase someone off of the private property I hunt because they emptied their gun at a deer about 80 yards from my stand, firing in my direction. Idiots:xmad:

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Personally, if you really are just putting food on the table I don't mind. The tresspassing I would but, he shot a doe. Clearly he was not "trophy poaching". Using a 30-30 (guess) he obviously did not know the regulations or really didn't care because he wanted food. Some of you get so bent out of shape because "he broke the law" just because it's the law doesn't make it right. I am more mad he was tresspassing than anything. I have dealt with poachers that shoot than cut off the antlers or shoot the does and leave lay. If he was claiming it and taking it I have no beef with him. You say he should put his name on the list for hit deer and I agree but, have you ever cleaned a deer after it's been hit? A lot of meat goes to waste also, how long would he be waiting? This is why I donate extra meat to.--- FHFH HOME

Maybe some of you should put yourself in a position. If I was unemployed, had no money and had mouths to feed you're damn right I would be shooting deer out of season with anything I could. He stood up to take care of him (family?) stop calling him a low life or a piece of ****. You don't know the conditions he is under.

With that being said, if he was shooting just to shoot then yes a severe penalty should be given.

TSmith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Seymour
    Poaching and trespassing:xmad::xmad::xmad: I can understand the need for meat and at least he wasn't trophy poaching. I would have less of a problem with this situation if it was done during firearms season. Bowhunters spend alot of time practicing and alot of time in the woods for the opportunity to harvest a deer, so it ticks me off when people poach during bow season with guns. Also there is no data recorded for all of the poached deer, i.e. no numbers for herd management. :noway:

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    Two weeks ago, I had a guy approach me while I was hunting on my property in Northern Indiana. Told me I was hunting his property and told me my truck was parked on his land. The truck was parked about a mile away on my wifes cousins property and I was on our property. Turns out, this guy has a stand about 1/2 mile from where I was parked. Once I said who I was and where I was parked, he got in his truck and took off. Also said my truck was F'n up his hunting by being parked by the road. Nobody has bow hunted up there on either property. Figured this guy has been for a while and thought he could scare someone off. WRONG. I couldn't get his plate or the name of his work truck before he left. If I see him around there again, I will call DNR and local PD. Wife's cousin does lease his land, but only during gun season.
    We have 100 acres and the cousin has 300 +/- right behind it. The two kind of make a big L shape to kind of give an idea.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Poaching and trespassing:xmad::xmad::xmad: I can understand the need for meat and at least he wasn't trophy poaching. I would have less of a problem with this situation if it was done during firearms season. Bowhunters spend alot of time practicing and alot of time in the woods for the opportunity to harvest a deer, so it ticks me off when people poach during bow season with guns. Also there is no data recorded for all of the poached deer, i.e. no numbers for herd management. :noway:

True but, one gun shot isn't going to ruin your season. I bowhunt and to be honest my way is a whole hell of a lot harder than most that bowhunt. It still would not bother me. I have people target practice around the area I hunt and it doesn't stop me from taking deer.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Every slob poacher that gets caught cries poor and plays the "trying to feed the family" card! It must be in the poaching handbook or something! Just like every low-life trespasser who wanders or hunts wherever they feel like it is "confused" about property boundaries or "thought" they had permission to be there when called on it! Poaching is no better (probably worse) than theivery in my book!

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I am not saying he was right or wrong I don't know his situation. But if I was that hungry I would try to sell the gun that I illegally used to kill a deer before I poached a deer. As a hunter I would not shoot at a deer if I didn't know what was behind that deer. So if he took a high power rifle and shot at a tree line how does he know there is no one in those woods. Maybe the 2 that called were hunting that woods and could have been shot.

Top Bottom