• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I am not saying he was right or wrong I don't know his situation. But if I was that hungry I would try to sell the gun that I illegally used to kill a deer before I poached a deer. As a hunter I would not shoot at a deer if I didn't know what was behind that deer. So if he took a high power rifle and shot at a tree line how does he know there is no one in those woods. Maybe the 2 that called were hunting that woods and could have been shot.

Meh, a rifle will continue to give you food. You wouldn't sell your car to get to work to make a house paymeny would you? High-power rifle, then lets ban all rifle shooting because it may or may not hit someone.:rolleyes:

TSmith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Seymour
    True but, one gun shot isn't going to ruin your season. I bowhunt and to be honest my way is a whole hell of a lot harder than most that bowhunt. It still would not bother me. I have people target practice around the area I hunt and it doesn't stop me from taking deer.

I'm not saying that the shot itself is the problem. You're right about the shooting and not ruining your season - target shooting, other hunting always going on. I'm saying that bowhunters, especially the Indiana Bowhunters Association, have worked with the DNR to get the seasons the way they are. You know that its alot harder and takes more work, skill, luck, etc. to be sucessful with archery. So, having people going out through the woods using guns during archery season, in my opinion, would hinder the success of archery hunters. Don't you think the deer get alot more spooky after the first weekend of firearms? My :twocents:.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Every slob poacher that gets caught cries poor and plays the "trying to feed the family" card! It must be in the poaching handbook or something! Just like every low-life trespasser who wanders or hunts wherever they feel like it is "confused" about property boundaries or "thought" they had permission to be there when called on it! Poaching is no better (probably worse) than theivery in my book!

Really? He shot a doe...I don't think he's a "poacher" I think he's hungry.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I'm not saying that the shot itself is the problem. You're right about the shooting and not ruining your season - target shooting, other hunting always going on. I'm saying that bowhunters, especially the Indiana Bowhunters Association, have worked with the DNR to get the seasons the way they are. You know that its alot harder and takes more work, skill, luck, etc. to be sucessful with archery. So, having people going out through the woods using guns during archery season, in my opinion, would hinder the success of archery hunters. Don't you think the deer get alot more spooky after the first weekend of firearms? My :twocents:.

I completely agree but the point is there are other seasons going on, duck, tree rat and one rifle shot at a deer is no different than one at a tree rat. I understand I love bow season because it's "quiet" I just don't see a point being made with him using a rifle other than a shotgun, etc..

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    Meh, a rifle will continue to give you food. You wouldn't sell your car to get to work to make a house paymeny would you? High-power rifle, then lets ban all rifle shooting because it may or may not hit someone.:rolleyes:

You are right it doesn't make complete since but legally you cant use a high power rifle for any hunting in Indiana so sell it or trade it for food or a legal caliber. I am the last person that believes in banning guns I am just saying more people need to think at where they bullet may end up.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Really? He shot a doe...I don't think he's a "poacher" I think he's hungry.

Are you serious!!! He was hunting without a license with a high powered rifle on property he didn't have permission to be on!!!! What part of the definition of POACHING don't you understand??? He pretty much covered all the bases there!!! Like I said in my previous post every poacher plays the "hungry" card when they get caught.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For those who don't know:
    poach 2 (p
    omacr.gif
    ch)
    v. poached, poach·ing, poach·es
    v.intr. v.tr.
    1. To trespass on (another's property) for fishing or hunting.
    2. To take (fish or game) illegally.

He IS a poacher! YOUR personal definition of the word is irrelevant. He is a trespasser who takes game illegally, doesn't get much clearer than that.

DThurston

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Shelby County
    And I'll add that given the price of gas, how much did he save by driving to Franklin county (which could be close, or a significant distance) compared to just shopping carefully?

Why can't *I* go hunt wherever/whenever I want just because I "need food"?

We don't exactly live in a food desert here, and there were no major catastrophes I'm aware of that would interrupt the usual food supplies, were there?

Let him play by the same rules we all are and quit playing the "hungry" card.

It really pissed me off because I spent 15-20 minutes that same day explaining to my boy why I couldn't use the Mauser to take the buck he called in (had the Mauser in case any coyotes had a death wish). Guess it's no different than what I'll have to tell him later in life about keeping his pants on even if other guys are humping anything that moves.

ruger44srh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I was told years ago by DNR that there are no firearm restrictions on squirrels , rabbits, quail, or pheasants. So if you are coyote hunting with a centerfire rifle you could legally shoot these. I believe the only restrictions are on deer and turkey and federal migratory birds. Is this still true experts??

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I was told years ago by DNR that there are no firearm restrictions on squirrels , rabbits, quail, or pheasants. So if you are coyote hunting with a centerfire rifle you could legally shoot these. I believe the only restrictions are on deer and turkey and federal migratory birds. Is this still true experts??

I do believe that upland game birds also have restrictions: IE - no rifles but I am not positive.

Correct in that there are no restrictions on squirrels, rabbits, coyote, etc.

*because every one knows that shooting a squirrel with a .30-06 is perfectly safe and that the 150gr bullet turns into magic pixie dust the instant it travels 1mm beyond where the squirrel in the tree is sitting... But that same bullet will seek out and kill old women, children, and babies in strollers if shot from a tree-stand down at a deer.

-J-

Top Bottom