• ...and so much more!
  • mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Smith and Wesson J-frame ala 642 and the like...Sig P938 (my choice)...Shield...Model 60 Smith and Wesson...Ruger LCR...Glock (cough cough) 43...all good options. Actually, everything mentioned here seems like good advice including to pass on the Taurus and don't discount revolvers.

Check out some threads by doddg. I think he has purchased and commented on every possible CCW made...not really...but he has had a few lately and freely commented on his personal experience. His wife probably has a nice CCW that she would sell you.

The correct answer is what you shoot well enough to train with regularly and carry in a safe and concealed manner.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    The correct answer is what you shoot well enough to train with regularly and carry in a safe and concealed manner.
    When everything is equal, ^^^^^THIS^^^^^

I'm curious what is a good small hand gun. I been looking at the body guard 380. Mainly due to it has a safety. I would like for it to fit in my front pants pocket or possibly a ankle holster
    Most of the below firearms have "safeties" built into them. The main one for the revolver is your trigger finger not being on the trigger... (or as some others reference "booger hook off the bang switch")

Pocket carry is pretty personal. It depends on your build, your pants, how active you are, etc.

If you are dead set on pocket carry, I'd look at the various S&W j-frames as well as the Ruger LCR and LCP. No caliber lower than .38 or .380. The 9mm Shield is a very solid choice, although too big for me to pocket but ankle carries fine. Some guys can pocket them just fine, though.

Remember to use a pocket holster, which increases safety, helps break up the lines of the firearm, and keeps it oriented correctly in your pocket. Carry nothing else in that pocket.
    Understand that BBI knows his stuff. He also added the Baby Glock 42 / 43 when they got mentioned after this post.

Plz use a holster, even if minimal to cover triggerguard (raven concealment, etc)
    Ruger LCP2, LC9, or LCR are good choices, and i would prefer them to the s&w bodyguard (this gun never impressed me much - though i never carried one daily)

Shield and Walther PPS or glock 42/43 would be right on the big side, but possible if pocket size and tightness allow.

Sig p938 or 238 might be worth checking out - these have a 1911 style safety
    If I had to use one of these in BOLD, I'd suggest the LCR. The others are difficult to manage (small gun / big in hands, recoil, not much slide to clear malfunctions), in my opinion...

My rotation / options would be as follows... Smith J-Frame Model 638 or 442 in pocket / ankle / one for each, Shield in IWB tucked or ankle with spare mag(s) in pocket / on other ankle, and Glock 43 in cargo / tucked holster with spare mag in pocket.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    What Blue said above, your finger is your safety. Try a Glock-42 .380, or a Glock-43 in 9mm.
    Now me I carry a Glock-27 .40 both pocket and ankle sometimes without issues but that's just me.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    My wife and I both like the LCPII. Carries well in a pocket or ankle holster. A bit small, but I have smaller hands so it works fine for me. It's a lot nicer to shoot than the original LCP and we've yet to have any issues with ours.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have used a S&W 442 in a Galco Ankle Glove for my Sunday carry for a few years. Like anything it has its pros and cons. My biggest requirement is concealment and it does well at that.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    If deep concealment is one of your major concerns, you can look at a back pocket wallet shaped holster that conceals the outline of the gun. None of you customers are going to question this shape in your back pocket. It also has the advantage of really concealing your draw in a situation like a mugging where someone is demanding your wallet. They expect you to reach into your back pocket but it's a big surprise if you come up with a gun.

The downside is that it can be tough to grip the butt of the gun for the draw stroke. I've also found that sometimes when I back pocket carry I accidentally sit on the gun to the point of engaging the mag release. That's a big no bueno if the gun is called on in a self defense situation, as you may be left with only 1 round, or none if your pistol has a mag disconnect.

ETA: to clarify I don't use this particular holster, so I'm speaking to downsides of back pocket carry in general.

il_570xN.969049082_gbbm.jpg

Bundy74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2017
    Rockport
    I agree small revolvers do carry well, I carry a, taurus 605 5 shot 357 in a de saints ankle rig wile on my Harley. I also carry a ruger LC9 in a Blackhawk pocket holster, mainly in the summertime.,

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    If a person were going to get a 637 is it worth the extra spend for the PC enhanced action version?

Yes, the trigger on production S&W revolvers is appalling at best before Ray Saltzman did the trigger my 360PD had a 18 pound double action!!!! It is now down to a very nice 10 pounds and well worth the cost. Having the performance center fix the trigger will just save you time.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    If a person were going to get a 637 is it worth the extra spend for the PC enhanced action version?

I generally say it's not worth it, unless the aesthetics are a big deal. (PC offers different finishes, barrel lengths, and some slab side barrels that regular production guns dont get).
    Also, regarding trigger, plan on taking it to a competent gunsmith u nless it's a PC model (and sometime even then...)

The nice thing about s&w is that there are more aftermarket parts (apex springs, hammers, etc) than ruger.
    But a Ruger can be very ez to smooth out also.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Tough question. Depends on how much the money means to you.

My PC guns have remained untouched as far as triggers (autos and revolvers) whereas my non-PC guns have had some work (not all).

To me, the premium is worth it.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Taurus PT738 TCP .380 ACP Semiautomatic Has anyone owned one of these? seems like a good budget gun

I had one of the early TCP 738s. I sent it back for service and it came back with the same problem. Had a local guy work on it, and it it was serviceable for a time. Finally had to send it back again. Taurus sent me a brand new one, which I immediately sold and used the money toward a Colt Mustang Pocketlite (the all metal version). The Colt is a bit larger, but it is 100% reliable and very easy to handle. Even though the Colt costs twice as much, I would still take the Colt over the Taurus.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I had one of the early TCP 738s. I sent it back for service and it came back with the same problem. Had a local guy work on it, and it it was serviceable for a time. Finally had to send it back again. Taurus sent me a brand new one, which I immediately sold and used the money toward a Colt Mustang Pocketlite (the all metal version). The Colt is a bit larger, but it is 100% reliable and very easy to handle. Even though the Colt costs twice as much, I would still take the Colt over the Taurus.
    Glad to hear that. I had thought about getting one but didn't know if the new ones were any good.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. I have had the Colt Mustang 380 in the box w/3 mags since the late 80s/early 90s and when I sold all my 22s and 38 handguns and rifles, I kept it b/c I loved it so!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Smith and Wesson J-frame ala 642 and the like...Sig P938 (my choice)...Shield...Model 60 Smith and Wesson...Ruger LCR...Glock (cough cough) 43...all good options. Actually, everything mentioned here seems like good advice including to pass on the Taurus and don't discount revolvers.

Check out some threads by doddg. I think he has purchased and commented on every possible CCW made...not really...but he has had a few lately and freely commented on his personal experience. His wife probably has a nice CCW that she would sell you.

1. Yes, and I added to the lore by firing my Walther PPS I bought 3 weeks ago and today found out I have to sell it b/c it doesn't fit (bites my middle finger b/c of the finger guard after shooting 50 rounds through it, then more to see if I was holding it wrong. :dunno:
    2. I thought my 9mm issues were solved, but, "back on the road again...."

3. Concerning the wife, she grouses about the price of a gun, and I always sell for what I paid or more. Wait until she figures out what a few thousand rounds of ammo cost that I bought just this weekend (nearly 5k rounds of 9mm and 22, and I have some 380 and 38 special to buy yet. :crying:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Looks like you are getting lots of feed back OP. I'm with the guys on the revolver for sure if you want to go that route especially on the ankle, I just can't shoot them for crap.

In a front pocket staying small enough you can get away with it all of the time you are looking at the micro 380's (it's hard to get a shield or G43 stuffed in a front pocket all of the time). For that I'd consider one of the Kahr 380's (very affordable) or something like the Sig P238 some have mentioned if you concerned about triggers. I think the sig is the most shootable pocket pistol I've ever shot.
    If you are going ankle things open up a lot more for you. Then I'd consider something like a glock 43 or 26 and maybe a shield if you can get away with that. And if a revolver is your thing that's good to, but I can't say anything about them.

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    For what it's worth, I carry a Ruger LC9s Pro (left handed and didn't want the safety) in a front pocket of my jeans at work. I carry in a galco pocket holster to 100% cover the trigger guard. If you do pocket carry, I got some advice about always using a holster and practice the draw stroke -it takes some getting used to. I have ankle carried, but just not my thing. A lot of good choices out there. Best of luck!

3KP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2017
    Indpls
    Well thank you for all the information. I went to a local store found lcp .380 for $179.99 so I bought it yesterday. Also picked up an ankle holster for it. Wore it yesterday to get a feel for it. Next weekend plan to hit the range to see how it does.

Top Bottom